IGNORED

Toffee exile in the soft south

johnh

Saw my first game at Goodison Park (v Liverpool) in the first season after the war. Was at Goodison (in the boys' pen) 1948/49 when Everton had their record crowd, over 78,000 also v Liverpool. Used to live on Walton Hall Avenue but moved to Leeds in 1951 when I was 15. Now live in Berkshire but still support Everton (as does my grandson Charlie who lives in Nottingham). I must also admit to supporting Leeds but only because I played for Leeds United Juniors for two seasons before doing my National Service in Singapore and Malaya. I think the current Everton side is the best for many years and can seriously compete with the supposed 'big clubs'. None bigger than Everton in my view.

I can still remember the players when I watched in the 1940's:

Sagar, Greenhalgh, Dugdale, Farrell, Tommy Jones, Lello, Corr, Wainwright, Dodds, Stevenson, Eglington, Boyes, Powell, Grant, Fielding. plus many I have forgotten.

not sure to be honest. He might be older, been around since the planet formed I think :P

One of the 78,000 ! your part of Everton history, that figure will never be beaten.

Welcome.

Matt, I'm a bit slow. I assume it is Bill Kenwright you refer to? He's almost 10 years younger than me!

Blue 250 It was a bugger getting to the toilets.

Welcome mate - you're about the same age as my granpa. It's fantastic to see older people using the internet as too many pensioners are forced into living isolated lives.

Nikica

I am lucky. I have been involved with computers since 1967 (when people thought they were magic!) I also play a bit of golf, though my knees (played football till I was 40) are knackered, so I can only play 9 holes.

There is no decent football where I live in Berkshire so I watch Rugby Union where I am a vice president at my local club. I have been retired for 17 years and never been bored once! How lucky is that!

Nikica

I am lucky. I have been involved with computers since 1967 (when people thought they were magic!) I also play a bit of golf, though my knees (played football till I was 40) are knackered, so I can only play 9 holes.

There is no decent football where I live in Berkshire so I watch Rugby Union where I am a vice president at my local club. I have been retired for 17 years and never been bored once! How lucky is that!

Ahh, that's great going mate - it sounds like you've led a very fulfilling life and you're still enjoying yourself. Peace is a very precious and overlooked commodity, and much more rare than many people realise.

Hope to see you around the place :)