IGNORED

Michy Batshuayi

I suggested him a couple of months ago:

There's also 19-year-old Michy Batshuayi. He's very skilled on the ball and athletically gifted, but the two coaches he's had this year have both publicly complained about his effort in training, the first one actually didn't even play him because of his lack of effort. The Belgian U21 head coach also sent him back to his club because he had invited call girls to his hotel room. So there's character concerns, but he's very talented if someone could sort him out.

post #11 in http://www.toffeetalk.com/index.php?/topic/25177-striker-affordable-scores-goals-not-too-old-name-one/

Here's his 16 goals in 21 league games so far this season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwsfAL4eHYM

Very good finisher. He's also quite fast and strong and great touch and dribbling. I'd love to be able to get him in January and bring him on slowly as we still got Lukaku for the rest of the season.

i never said they where I'm only thinking quality players for that amount tadic scores goals. And available at the right price plus another loan striker.

Okay, my bad.

@tparry7390: any interest in Michy Batshuayi?

"He is undoubtedly a talent with a great goalscoring return, but he is just 20 and is under contract until 2018 with Standard Liege.

"That means he is likely to command a large fee, which in turn means he may be one for the summer if Lukaku returns to Chelsea, but not for now.

"One to watch."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reread-everton-fc-january-transfer-6478624

Is that the source for "Martinez has already denied wanting to sign Batshuayi to Greg O'Keeffe" btw? Because that seems more like speculation on his part than inside info imo.

This is according to Belgian newspapers:

-he's supposedly available for €8m.

-we're wanting to pay €6m of that and Belgian club Anderlecht will pay another €2m so we'll loan him out to them for the rest of the season.

Belgian papers have been continually linking him with a move to England and then a loan to Anderlecht for about a month or even longer. Standard's owner has been adamant however that there is no longer a €8m release clause in his new contract and that they will not sell him in january. According to him, Standard don't want to sell him and he doesn't want to leave. But his agent is supposedly trying to earn some money. Anderlecht are trying to do the same with Thorgan Hazard. Zulte-Waregem's manager has recently said on a press conference that Hazard wants to stay, that there is no clause in their deal with Chelsea that could allow him to leave, that Chelsea have told him last week that they don't see the point in moving him to another Belgian club but that Anderlecht and his agent keep scheming and haven't even contacted him.

Have not seen much of him so cant really comment. Is he any good?

He's really good. He's had some problems with immaturity in the past, but he was 18/19 so that's nothing to troubling, and he has been a consistent performer for the best part of a year now and the Belgian pundits are noticing it too. They had one of the best managers in the Belgian league, Hein Van Haezebrouck, on and he argued he's more talented than Lukaku or Benteke. And they all seem to agree he's got the total package, unlike them. He can use his body to hold people off, he's got the touch with both feet to play in congested spaces, he's got the pace to get in behind of the line and he's got the flair and ability to make things happen on his own (unlike Benteke and Lukaku).

I'd be very happy to get him and let him settle in behind Lukaku this year, so he can learn the language, etc, without too much pressure to perform immediately (he's only 20).

I disagree with Steve_E. I think the best way to describe Batshuayi is: He doesn't excel at anything. He's good at dribbling, shooting, passing, speed, physical strength, insight and position play, but he doesn't really excel at any of those. He will probably never be better than for instance Benteke, Sturridge or Dzeko in their primes. But he has it in him to become a titular for the striker position of a mid-table EPL team. That's good, but I don't really rate him much higher that that.

Better than Jelavic?

Totally different, I'd say Batshuayi is more of a striker that uses his physique and does more runs than Jelavic. If you can compare his style to anything in the premier league (this is always dangerous) I'd say... Sturridge. Although he's probably not as fast as Sturridge and he will need more development to come anywhere near Sturridge.

heck here's a youtube video with some of his work:

edit: but if you're really asking in an abstract way if he's 'better' or 'worse' than a very irregular player as Jelavic, I'd say... similar. But that's always a gamble. He has less experience than Jela, but his performances are more consistent. A Jelavic on top of his game will probably outscore Batshuayi, but how often does it happen that he's in good form.

I could be wwrong you know... You would have expected Benteke to become as prolific as he was fot Villa last season?

Edited by Mirallas

I like the Sturridge comparison in terms of style. There's little point in argueing about whether he excels at something or is merely good at it, but in my opinion he's going to be very very good. I agree he doesn't exactly excel in either pace or power, but he has got both of it. Just look at how many times he's one on one with the goal keeper in the following clips. But the most important part for me is that his one touch passing with his back to goal, his link up play, with both feet is excellent and that he can run at people and beat them. He's really agile too. From time to time he'll jump into the air, reach for some long ball through the air with his leg up almost above his head and he'll get it under control, that's the kind of stuff that convinces me he's going to be very good. He can get involved in the attack. Plus he's an excellent finisher imo, he puts the ball into the goal where it fits, from all angles. He's also used to defending from the front as Standard are generally very agressive defending high up, very physical, in your face side.

Here's his goals this season again. The first one is impressive as it was right at the end of the game, he went on a huge run, barely stayed on his feet a couple of times and put it in. The one at the 2 minute mark shows his combination of power, balance and technique, great finish while turning while shrugging of some dude on his back. The next goal is again just the good first touch with a defender right on him and then a fantastic shot from distance. 3:05 and 3:23 again showcases his coolness in the box. And at the 5 minute mark, that's just a brilliant bit of improvisation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwsfAL4eHYM

And here's some more skills and goals from previous seasons. You should look at all of it as there's some pretty stuff, but definitely check the dribble on the goal line at 1:26 and 2:02. Look at 3:13 for effort, power and vision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBbVw9zInUA

And don't forget he's just 20. We're probably not gonna be able to afford the proven, finished article, definitely not at the very expensive centre forward position. We're probably not going to be able to afford Lukaku for example. So I know a lot of people, like myself, say we should just buy "the next one". Well, he is the next one coming out of Belgium. I would definitely take a punt at €8m.

In any case, he's better than Carlos Bacca and 7 years younger ;p.

Edited by Steve_E

Wow he looks a player. I got a kindle for Chrimbo and downloaded a short autobiography of Martinez when he was as Swansea and his philosophy's haven't changed . He had the know how of wanting and buying players early and developing them as he knew he couldn't afford the finished article. This lad looks like someone who can Roberto can work with and improve and the whole outlook and potential we have as a club with all the youngsters coming through gives me a semi on

Wow he looks a player. I got a kindle for Chrimbo and downloaded a short autobiography of Martinez when he was as Swansea and his philosophy's haven't changed . He had the know how of wanting and buying players early and developing them as he knew he couldn't afford the finished article. This lad looks like someone who can Roberto can work with and improve and the whole outlook and potential we have as a club with all the youngsters coming through gives me a semi on

That reads a bit a wrong I don't get a semi on thinking of youngsters I will have you know