IGNORED

Greetings from western Virginia, USA

verreauxi

Hi all,

New member here, and I'm happy to have found this site. I wish I could say that I had a long legacy of following Everton but in fact it was fairly arbitrary. I spent some of my youth in Mexico and thus when I returned home the American boys were all playing baseball and (American) football. I only knew how to play "soccer." And I've since followed and played the game every chance I get (one of my favorite teams is UNAM Pumas, a Mexican 1st division team). Back in the late 90s, when I was in grad school I had friend who one day said to me, "You should follow Everton." And so it was. And I've supported them on and off since then. More recently, I was in the DC airport with my girlfriend, getting ready to fly to Madagascar. In the bar we met some Evertonians who had flown over to see the blues play DC United. Since that experience I was further committed to the team based on their loyal and friendly fans' infectious commitment.

And so here I am, based in western Virginia, tethered to Everton by NBC sports network.

cheers,

Rich

Welcome Rich

I once visited Roanoke in West Virginia (on business) in about 1983. Nice part of the world. You will enjoy this site, very friendly, funny and quality posts about footie.

Edit

Sorry, Roanoke was 1978. 1983 was Houston!

Edited by johnh

And welcome from a little farther south: Atlanta, GA.

I didn't realize you were that close (well, within 5 hours anyway). I was actually in Atlanta for New Year's Eve.

Welcome to the board, Rich! It's always nice to see fellow American (or US-based) Evertonians supporting this great club.

Edited by TonkaRoost

And so here I am, based in western Virginia, tethered to Everton by NBC sports network.

Incidentally, I visit a customer about once a month in Waynesboro. Not sure how far that is from your home town.

I didn't realize you were that close (well, within 5 hours anyway). I was actually in Atlanta for New Year's Eve.

I'm trying to figure out where might be five hours away. Winston Salem NC? Southern Kentucky? Jackson MS? Jacksonville FL?

Incidentally, I visit a customer about once a month in Waynesboro. Not sure how far that is from your home town.

Very small world then...I live about 20 minutes north of Waynesboro, outside of a town called "Grottoes"

I teach at James Madison University, which is located in Harrisonburg, another 20 minutes north of me.

Very small world then...I live about 20 minutes north of Waynesboro, outside of a town called "Grottoes"

I teach at James Madison University, which is located in Harrisonburg, another 20 minutes north of me.

Funny! My son tried out for the James Madison soccer team before he joined a college team in Kentucky. JMU had an excellent coach.

As a matter of interest, what subject do you teach?

I feel lucky (and sometimes embarrassed) to say that I study anthropology, and specifically I focus on studying lemurs in Madagascar. I teach classes on Human genetics and evolution, primate behavior, biological anthropology, and evolutionary psychology. Basically, I'm a zoologist who studies humans and non-human primates.

I arrived at this crazy job if only because when I was in high school I wanted a career that involved three things: teaching, animals, and travel. I travel to Madagascar every summer (click on my avatar and you can find a link to my webpage, to see the creatures I study)

And yes, JMU's soccer coach is a really cool guy. I've had a few brief chats with him. He seems well liked by all the players. They have a great soccer team here, but they are unfortunately dumping way too much money into football (as many US schools do).

And yes, JMU's soccer coach is a really cool guy. I've had a few brief chats with him. He seems well liked by all the players. They have a great soccer team here, but they are unfortunately dumping way too much money into football (as many US schools do).

I noticed the new stadium when I recently drove down 81. Now they are focused on (American) football, I'm sure the danger is that their great soccer team will languish.

I feel lucky (and sometimes embarrassed) to say that I study anthropology, and specifically I focus on studying lemurs in Madagascar. I teach classes on Human genetics and evolution, primate behavior, biological anthropology, and evolutionary psychology. Basically, I'm a zoologist who studies humans and non-human primates.

I arrived at this crazy job if only because when I was in high school I wanted a career that involved three things: teaching, animals, and travel. I travel to Madagascar every summer (click on my avatar and you can find a link to my webpage, to see the creatures I study)

Fascinating. My first two degrees were in physics, and I still believe it to be the most fascinating subject under the sun - although genetics must come a close second. ;) I've had the pleasure of meeting some great physicists - most recently John Polkinghorne at his home in Cambridge. I've also traded emails in the past with the geneticist Francis Collins, whom I also admire. While I've traveled on business to many countries (including to several African nations), I've never been to Madagascar. I can imagine that it's an intriguing place.

Anyway, I digress - sorry. Everton most certainly has an eclectic mix of fans!

Fascinating. My first two degrees were in physics, and I still believe it to be the most fascinating subject under the sun....

TT living up to it's "thinking Evertonian" tagline :P.

Out if interest Steve, as a man of science, may interest you to know that this guy was my great grandfather....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Rankine

Though he died before I was born I have many of his hand written journals....prized posessions :).

Out if interest Steve, as a man of science, may interest you to know that this guy was my great grandfather....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Rankine

Though he died before I was born I have many of his hand written journals....prized posessions :).

Phenomenal!! Those journals must be fascinating!

I was primarily a theoretical physicist. For my PhD research, I did conduct a number of experiments but garnered an unfortunate reputation. In particular, I did manage to blow up a chemistry lab, which prevented me from continuing a very interesting line of inquiry. Still, it was a whole lot of fun. Science is meant to be a wild adventure, following the data wherever it leads. (Even the explosion taught me something.) Sadly today, too many start with the conclusions they seek to reach and then go looking for data to back them up (ass about face, to use a Cornish phrase).

MikeO

Sorry this is 'off topic' but my great grandfather, born 1861, was a book-binder. He worked for a company called Rockliffe Printers and the interesting thing is that they are still going, based in Long Lane, Liverpool. He had several sons and grandsons who also worked for Rockliffe's, including my grandfather. My great grandfather never made Wikipedia though!

Bit of a coincidence there. I am often called a big ape LOL

Actually I studied for a degree in applied biology at JMU (John Moores University) in Liverpool. AND i once fed lemurs by hand ... much better than feeding the kids I found.

Guest Nikica

Welcome verreauxi. I'm not an Everton fan but I've been made welcome on these pages and I'm sure you will be also. I liked your Mark Twain quote - very true.

On the education discussion, I studied sociology and geography with the Open University - very interesting subjects.

Dalziel - I see you say you're from Maryland. Have you spent much time in Baltimore? The Wire is set there and I'm just wondering.

Edited by Nikica

Welcome verreauxi. I'm not an Everton fan but I've been made welcome on these pages and I'm sure you will be also. I liked your Mark Twain quote - very true.

On the education discussion, I studied sociology and geography with the Open University - very interesting subjects.

Dalziel - I see you say you're from Maryland. Have you spent much time in Baltimore? The Wire is set there and I'm just wondering.

Were you happy with your studies at the Open University? Are you working in any of those two fields? I ask because I'm about to start studying Biology with them in February. I have a degree in languages (English, Spanish and Mandarin Chinese) from a regular university but I have always been a science man really, don't know what made me go with languages the first time around as I had always been pretty sure I'd go on to be a biologist before that. Had a last minute change of mind that I now regret years later - time to correct that mistake.

Oh and welcome verreauxi! Quite interesting reading about your work, and the subsequent posts have also been enjoyable.

Edited by Fearthainn

Were you happy with your studies at the Open University? Are you working in any of those two fields? I ask because I'm about to start studying Biology with them in February. I have a degree in languages (English, Spanish and Mandarin Chinese) from a regular university but I have always been a science man really, don't know what made me go with languages the first time around as I had always been pretty sure I'd go on to be a biologist before that. Had a last minute change of mind that I now regret years later - time to correct that mistake.

Oh and welcome verreauxi! Quite interesting reading about your work, and the subsequent posts have also been enjoyable.

Hi mate,

Well, I can't speak for the science faculty as I have never studied sciences with the OU, but I can only say good things about the social science faculty. I'm still in email contact with one of the main guys in the faculty, and the OU was generally always very prompt at answering any questions students had. The online forums were also very enjoyable for the most part. Therefore, I would most certainly recommend studying with the OU. In fact I plan to go back and study there again in future (either a Masters in social science or a fresh degree in a new subject area).

I'm not working in those fields right now, no. However, I really want to in future so we will see where life takes me. Without 'bragging', I attained a first-class degree so I would say that you could do pretty well there if you take it seriously. If you're thinking of signing up you should take the plunge - the OU has come a long way and its degrees are now treated with far more respect by employers than they once were. If you decide to sign up don't hesitate to ask me any questions if you need help.

wo zhongwen hui shuo ydianr (sorry - the forum won't allow me to use characters).