IGNORED

Phil Jagielka

Was it with kids? I'm talking about adult football 11 vs 11 everything else is irrelevant really and has no benefit that I can see of anyway

"The English FA rules concerning short-sided football (5, 6 and 7-a-side) does not include the offside rule. This is restricted to 11s only."

With adults too.

But yes was 9 against 9 not 11 against 11.

It as designed to have players have to deal with breaks and counter attacking football.

With adults too.

But yes was 9 against 9 not 11 against 11.

It as designed to have players have to deal with breaks and counter attacking football.

but in 11 a side, the counter attack is meaningless if the attacking team is offside. I really don't get the logic behind this at all.

It's to stop counter attacks running straight through you while your defense stand there waiting for a flag.

You just shouldn't rely on it, always hold your line but presume they are on.

Not saying that's what Martinez is doing, just that it's nothing new. It's a pretty standard exercise.

Seriously how can you train no offsides in 11 a side? If you aren't playing no offsides in a match then how is it beneficial?

It isn't going to benefit either strikers or defenders because it's a key part of the game. Lukaku for one is poor at shaping and timing his runs and it needs work. Our defence gets sprung all the time so how does it help?

Seriously how can you train no offsides in 11 a side? If you aren't playing no offsides in a match then how is it beneficial?

It isn't going to benefit either strikers or defenders because it's a key part of the game. Lukaku for one is poor at shaping and timing his runs and it needs work. Our defence gets sprung all the time so how does it help?

Don't think anyone's saying it benefits 11 a side Haf....Though it may explain why Rom looks dumbfounded everytime a flag goes up haha.

i just don't see it

Ditto

How can it help defenders hold a line when the rule involving the "line" isn't in place..

Not disputing you lads using it or seeing it more that I find it bonkers Martinez is using such daft training routines, surely constantly drilling defenders on holding a line and using a fundamental rule of the game would benefit them far more

Just another indication the man's a plank if true

Edited by EFC-Paul

No offsides, no practising set pieces, limited fitness pre season in favour of ball work, fitness coaches leaving... not good.

The fitness is what's most shocking to me honestly. I've never seen a more lethargic group of players in a match at that same time (and in the same team).

The fitness is what's most shocking to me honestly. I've never seen a more lethargic group of players in a match at that same time (and in the same team).

Lukaku and Barkley look like they should be working the doors. I said this a while ago and people said they needed the muscle... far too much muscle. I look at alexi sanchez and he has too much posey muscle for his frame.

Gerry deulofeu looks way too out of condition versus the racing snake condition he was in years before. Even the fittest player at the club baines looked knackered.

Lukaku and Barkley look like they should be working the doors. I said this a while ago and people said they needed the muscle... far too much muscle. I look at alexi sanchez and he has too much posey muscle for his frame.

Gerry deulofeu looks way too out of condition versus the racing snake condition he was in years before. Even the fittest player at the club baines looked knackered.

yeah if the board keep martinez lets hope they force him to hire a physio and fitness coach. we need both badly.

Ditto

How can it help defenders hold a line when the rule involving the "line" isn't in place..

Not disputing you lads using it or seeing it more that I find it bonkers Martinez is using such daft training routines, surely constantly drilling defenders on holding a line and using a fundamental rule of the game would benefit them far more

Just another indication the man's a plank if true

It's totally the opposite to holding the line though.

The idea is not to sit and wait for a flag. Keep a good line and then break when you have runners.

Premier level defenders should be past needing practise to keep a line....should be haha.

No one said they don't practise set pieces either. Even the players have come out and laughed at that.

Fitness...from what I have seen its not fitness but motivation that's the issue.

Against utd we looked the fitter team at the end...they just nicked a goal.

What we lack is effort and motivation.

Motivation is a managers main focus.

always hold your line but presume they are on.

I get your drift Shukes but it's daft logic (not yours mate) if a forward is doing such a routine he'll just sit slightly off if he's told to play as he would (onside) in normal circumstances then any logic to the exercise goes out of the window the same goes for the defenders but the opposite

Anyway I can't see anything benifitial from it personally but hey ho as said if he's using such methods then it shows he's a tit

Shukes, just one point. One person did say they don't practice set pieces, Leon Osman. And he directly quoted Graham Jones saying why practice them when there are maybe three per game, when we could practice ball work instead.

I get your drift Shukes but it's daft logic (not yours mate) if a forward is doing such a routine he'll just sit slightly off if he's told to play as he would (onside) in normal circumstances then any logic to the exercise goes out of the window the same goes for the defenders but the opposite

Anyway I can't see anything benifitial from it personally but hey ho as said if he's using such methods then it shows he's a tit

I see what you mean.

For it to work it would need to he structured in a way that gives the attackers an advantage to start.

When we did it, it was a training exercise with instructions....not really a match as such.

Roberto probably has them doing something completely different....and ineffective.

Shukes, just one point. One person did say they don't practice set pieces, Leon Osman. And he directly quoted Graham Jones saying why practice them when there are maybe three per game, when we could practice ball work instead.

Wasn't it Osman that said they practise them, just not as much as they do open okay.

I might have the wrong person.

But one of them said...of course we practise them.

Could be baines actually, not sure haha.

Philosophy is there, just not sure it works. We always practised them. Part of our basic set up.

Personally, I coached for about 20 years, and my oldest son ended up captaining his college team (which, in the US, is a big deal). I would come up with training routines that addressed particular problems. No offsides was a common rule. In some circumstances, I'd let players use their hands. No headers was another. Strict rules about positioning was another. Playing with no goalie. I once even thought about tying pairs of opposing players together with a length of rope. It all depends on what you're trying to achieve. Frankly, anything goes, so long as it achieves the desired result.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Personally, I coached for about 20 years, and my oldest son ended up captaining his college team (which, in the US, is a big deal). I would come up with training routines that addressed particular problems. No offsides was a common rule. In some circumstances, I'd let players use their hands. No headers was another. Strict rules about positioning was another. Playing with no goalie. I once even thought about tying pairs of opposing players together with a length of rope. It all depends on what you're trying to achieve. Frankly, anything goes, so long as it achieves the desired result.

Good stuff Steve, nice to hear a thinking Evertonian to stop the witch hunt on this one.

You'd have been arrested for that one :P.

It sounds funny, I know, but I'd planned to tie a 4-foot length of rope to each players's wrist, so they would always be four feet or less from the opposing player. I couldn't get them to very closely mark another player, especially at speed, so this would have forced them to do so. The truth is I didn't want to spend the money on the rope!

What is the desired result of no offsides though?

The game should be played with no offsides, it's eleven against eleven and if the attacker wants to spend his time standing in the six yard box it's up to the opponent's to have a player fall back to mark him. Would make for a much more open game and more enjoyable to watch.