IGNORED

Arteta's The Key!

Cloud

efc1150897398artetashirtnt6.jpg

----------------------------

Mikel Arteta has been pin-pointed as a key player for the Blues during the forthcoming season by Blues' number two Alan Irvine.

The Everton assistant boss believes the technical ability of Arteta makes him a crucial player in terms of unlocking opposition defences.

The Spanish midfielder's pre-season was disrupted two weeks ago when he was diagnosed with chicken pox and had to return to Merseyside early from the club's training camp in Exeter.

But after playing 90 minutes against Bury and once again turning out in Wednesday's testimonial for Paul McKenna at Preston, Irvine is in no doubt that the form and fitness of Arteta will be a crucial factor for the Blues this term.

"Mikel had missed about a week's worth of training and obviously that is a long period at this stage when we are working on fitness," explained Irvine.

"But for the first 30 to 35 minutes (against Preston) he was absolutely terrific. He hit the wall then and for about 10 minutes before half-time in that game he was poor and it coincided with our worst period.

"After half-time, he was refreshed and did very well. We gave him 45 minutes against Preston but that was always the plan. We wanted to give him a bit of a breather and we are thinking ahead - not just about the matches we are playing.

"He is just a top, top player. Undoubtedly he's going to be very important to us this year. He is one of the most talented players we have got at the club and it is important that Mikel has a good season for us."

---------------------------------

I think i have to agree with this, We look at completly diffrent team when Arteta is not playing, The Liverpool match springs to mind TBH, they had 10 men an we should have fininshed them off, but created nothing. So the fittness on Arteta i fell will be crucial for us this season.We dont have another play who can fill arteta boots when he isn't there.

i tottally agree efc no one man can do it on his own

but i think the main thing this season will be the howard yobo and lescott partnership

if thats solid enough we have art and VDM to create and BT and AJ to finish

altough you could asy the best form of defence is attack but think those 3 will end up unsung heros by the end of the season

arteta to us is like gerrard to liverpool, without him we havent got as much flare in our game, you can tell we miss him when he doesnt play

40545[/snapback]

Yeh, look plain without him pulling all the strings. I hope VDM will be fit, he can create things like Arteta, so a big season for him really

I personaly think that we need to be looking for a Player who is similar to Arteta who can create goals. Yeh agree with you, Cahill needs to up his game aswell i fee, Davies, VDM and even Carsley.

40438[/snapback]

Yep could not agree more....That is what i was hoping for too.Another attacking player who has the skills of Arteta....

Who would you suggest then? Someone who is a reasonable target please.

40622[/snapback]

Unless we get our scouting system sorted out, and we can find another "influential" player, we are going to be left with relying on one man to influence games, that is no way to run a Premiership football team.

Arteta is key, of that there is no doubt, but do we have to saddle him with all our hopes of creativity, as with AJ and goals.

We may be in for a surprise this year, with a cheeky season out of our Welsh Wonder, VDM is still in the frame even with his "injury".

I am still feeling good about the approaching season, and I don't care what anyone says, my rose tinted spectacles are well and truely on.

ATB

Mac

Yossi Benayoun is not a bad player. ;)

CLUB WEST HAM UNITED

HEIGHT 1.78m POSITION MIDFIELDER

WEIGHT 70kg SQUAD NUMBER 15

Israel midfielder who joined the Hammers from Racing Santander in July 2005. A creative player more than capable of opening defences up when teams sit deep, Benayoun was Racing's top scorer in the Primera Liga in 2004/2005. Jumped at the opportunity to play in England after taking on board advice from countryman and former West Ham star Eyal Berkovic.

I rate him very highly. But West Ham will be looking to get silly money for him. We were linked with him twice over the summer (is there anybody with whom we werent linked with? :S ) and west ham were reportedly asking over 8m for him.

But still a verygood player nonetheless.

we're pretty well stocked with midfielders. arteta is probably the best but weve also got neville, who i think will move back to his normal midfield position now weve signe lescott. weve also got davies, vdm, cahill and of course carsley and kilbane.

we are also chasing graveson, but frankly given the number of players we have in that position i dont think he's needed, after all he is 30 and he's coming to the final season or two of his carreer.