IGNORED

Andros Townsend

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

I tried the beard route myself (for about the 20th time in my life), my brother has one and it looks really good. Me? I just look like a tramp:(🧔

I can't get past the itching.  I've got seriously course and curly hair.  I get all-sorts of sores then when I shave I'm covered in bumps. 

Finally got around to watching his interview and I have to admit I'm impressed. He came across really well and genuinely seems excited to play for us. Yeah, they're just words and we'll have to see what he does on the pitch, but he's off to a good start nonetheless. 

Also, I didn't realize he is left-footed.

14 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Think your missing the whole point - At the time of his signing Barry was not a popular signing due to age and his profile. Don't tell me Barry was a popular signing with most people at the time and that we all knew he would do so well in the arse end of his career. Most bitched about it! 

Nobody is saying Townsend will be as good as Barry for us if you read the posts properly. You say 'clearly not going have anywhere near the impact of Barry' before he's kicked a ball for us. What crystal ball you using to have such 'clarity' That's  lazy if anything is. 

I am not saying he's 'clearly' going to be as good a signing as Barry. I am saying he is not a particular popular signing (similar to Barry - thus a valid comparison in this respect) , but might actual prove to be quite good value.

I get the point of the age and expectation, but my point is that people should have been looking at the players and that is where the comparison gets lazy. Just because Barry was old and not liked, doesn't mean Townsend will be the same because he is old and not liked. Maybe our points are getting crossed!

8 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Man of the match on his England debut. Scored a screamer from 25 yards. 

13 England caps and 3 goals.  

Leon Osman was very good and he never got those caps .....

I think it's fair to say that he has been considered very good.  

I understand this doesn't fit your confirmation bias and he is doomed before he kicks a ball but I'm ok with this signing.

Are you using an England performance where he scored a screamer and got MOTM (surprise, surprise) against Montenegro. We should have given him the Ballon D'or.

What exactly is my confirmation bias with Townsend? I would love to know.

Throughout all of your replies, you haven't really said anything about what he is good at as a player. Its Harry Redknapp says this, in a one-off performance he did that. It is just complete BS.

6 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

Finally got around to watching his interview and I have to admit I'm impressed. He came across really well and genuinely seems excited to play for us. Yeah, they're just words and we'll have to see what he does on the pitch, but he's off to a good start nonetheless. 

Also, I didn't realize he is left-footed.

By all accounts he is a model pro and looks after himself as well and given the many other comments from ex-teammates it sounds like he is well liked in the dressing room as well.

I actually think he is two-footed. I hadn't realised this before but watching back some of his clips he is scoring and assisting with both feet.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I get the point of the age and expectation, but my point is that people should have been looking at the players and that is where the comparison gets lazy. Just because Barry was old and not liked, doesn't mean Townsend will be the same because he is old and not liked. Maybe our points are getting crossed!

Are you using an England performance where he scored a screamer and got MOTM (surprise, surprise) against Montenegro. We should have given him the Ballon D'or.

What exactly is my confirmation bias with Townsend? I would love to know.

Throughout all of your replies, you haven't really said anything about what he is good at as a player. Its Harry Redknapp says this, in a one-off performance he did that. It is just complete BS.

By all accounts he is a model pro and looks after himself as well and given the many other comments from ex-teammates it sounds like he is well liked in the dressing room as well.

I actually think he is two-footed. I hadn't realised this before but watching back some of his clips he is scoring and assisting with both feet.

Bailey put the shovel down.  You don't get picked for England by not being very good simple as that.  Redknapp compared him with a world class player ability wise and yes he can crack a ball with his left foot and whip it in with his right which makes him a nightmare for defenders. 

I would have thought your Bailey player appraisal and tactics system would have picked up on this? 

16 hours ago, pete0 said:

Replacing Walcott, with a less good Walcott.

Much fitter than Walcott, expect him to be available and contribute when called on.  Don't expect him to score 10 goals and comes wanting to be here, which makes a huge difference.  Walcott was always an unwilling tourist.

19 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Up to a point I agree ( he is half Greek Cypriot so it suits him) but my eldest has gone for the same beard during lockdown, not impressed.

You lot are a bit weird about beards.

23 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Bailey put the shovel down.  You don't get picked for England by not being very good simple as that.  Redknapp compared him with a world class player ability wise and yes he can crack a ball with his left foot and whip it in with his right which makes him a nightmare for defenders. 

I would have thought your Bailey player appraisal and tactics system would have picked up on this? 

It doesn't mean that he is very good either though, which is what you said. Are all the players in this squad (5 years ago) also very good?

England’s 26-man provisional squad for Euro 2016

Goalkeepers: Tom Heaton (Burnley), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Manchester City)

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham)

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham), Ross Barkley (Everton), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Danny Drinkwater (Leicester City), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Andros Townsend (Newcastle United). Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United)

You have been telling us how crap Pickford is for years but I guess that his England appearances and MOTM awards don't count. Maybe I can find a quote of someone comparing him to Buffon?

You also do realise that I literally said he was two footed in the same post.

21 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Pure striker of a ball.  Like a bilyaletdinov strike. 

Look how that worked out! :P

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

It doesn't mean that he is very good either though, which is what you said. Are all the players in this squad (5 years ago) also very good?

England’s 26-man provisional squad for Euro 2016

Goalkeepers: Tom Heaton (Burnley), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Manchester City)

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham)

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham), Ross Barkley (Everton), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Danny Drinkwater (Leicester City), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Andros Townsend (Newcastle United). Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United)

You have been telling us how crap Pickford is for years but I guess that his England appearances and MOTM awards don't count. Maybe I can find a quote of someone comparing him to Buffon?

You also do realise that I literally said he was two footed in the same post.

Look how that worked out! :P

You ok mate? You seem to struggle with people having a positive opinion about a player who you lazily labelled without doing your in depth scouting analysis on. 

You made the initial point that no-one anywhere made comments alluding to Townsend being worked class..... Wrong, Redknapp said his ability was like Robbens.  Robben was world class.... That's a works class comparison 

I made the point that he is/has been a very good player as he played 13 times for England and scored 3 goals including a great performance. ...... So you include a squad list?!  Have all those players played 13 times and got man of the match???

I bet you were itching to name Carlton Palmer and co.

Apologies for my brain .... Despite Jordan Pickford's excellent euros my brain still tells me that he was indeed shite for a large period of games over the past 2 years.  Madness eh. 

6 hours ago, Hafnia said:

You ok mate? You seem to struggle with people having a positive opinion about a player who you lazily labelled without doing your in depth scouting analysis on. 

You made the initial point that no-one anywhere made comments alluding to Townsend being worked class..... Wrong, Redknapp said his ability was like Robbens.  Robben was world class.... That's a works class comparison 

I made the point that he is/has been a very good player as he played 13 times for England and scored 3 goals including a great performance. ...... So you include a squad list?!  Have all those players played 13 times and got man of the match???

I bet you were itching to name Carlton Palmer and co.

Apologies for my brain .... Despite Jordan Pickford's excellent euros my brain still tells me that he was indeed shite for a large period of games over the past 2 years.  Madness eh. 

You just don't get it. 

I have no problem with you having a valid opinion about a player. You may well notice that I don't reply to everyone disagrees with me. It is good to have differences of opinion, it is what makes this place. 

I just find your responses to be absolute nonsense and completely contradictory. When I call you out on it, you go all around the houses arguing things I didn't actually say.

Whenever we do this, we end up so far from the actual point it is actually quite impressive. 

I have made my points about the qualities of Townsend. If you want to discuss them, I am all for it. If you want to quote me player opinions, something you heard from a mate, a chat you had with an ex-player or a MOTM award against a third rate side then I will just leave you to it. 

Haf, I have a lot of love for you mate - if I ever get into trouble with the law you mind if I call you up as my attorney?

You’re one tenacious bastard and there’s just no chance they would ever get around to sentencing me before the state went broke! 

43 minutes ago, Matt said:

Had a cracking effort hit the post 

Haven't seen it but that was one of the things I noticed about him in my YouTube scouting...... Venemous strike and great technique in getting through a ball. 

We don't have any players in midfield or attack who can really crack one from distance.  James strikes it nice but aside him???

3 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Haven't seen it but that was one of the things I noticed about him in my YouTube scouting...... Venemous strike and great technique in getting through a ball. 

We don't have any players in midfield or attack who can really crack one from distance.  James strikes it nice but aside him???

I put the highlights link in the preseason thread mate. Quality shot. Really hoping he fulfills his potential with us. 

11 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Really it’s just James and Gylfi they can strike a ball. Digne use to have a few from distance but hasn’t of late. To his credit though, Townsend seems to have that left curler in his locker, we just need that marauding RB to create space for him.

• 3 weeks later...