IGNORED

Andros Townsend

Benitez has worked with him before at Newcastle.  If he was indifferent to applying himself he wouldn't be coming here (if he is).

Ability wise Townsend is a very solid player, strong, quick, cracking shot on him and if he didn't work hard there is no way benitez would have him.

On a free transfer it represents very little risk.  Not one to get excited about but a solid backup.  

6 hours ago, c1982 said:

Free transfer on 2 year deal. Hopefully just a squad player as Benitez will want wingers and we’re not exactly blessed in this department. Aaron Lennon signing mk2 - that actually worked out pretty well to be fair.

Nice bit of analysis here:

Weirdly I was going to do a piss taking post on the Twitter thread about xG etc just to see who would bite! Little did I know somone has actually looked into it seriously!

Let's be honest. Most of our disappointing players are ones we expected most from and were excited to sign.

Gylfi, Gomes, Delph, Bernard etc

Townsend is a better option off the bench than what we have.  

Signing 2 back up players for nothing isn't the worst thing in the world. 

I would be amazed if we signed him. My view is you should never sign players for the bench, you should sign them to start and push the starter to the bench. His asset is his speed and dribbling and as he ages that will diminish. I refuse to believe there aren't younger, hungrier players abroad who we could sign that would cost a modest fee and less wages than Andros would be on. 

I have read through some Palace forums and they are somewhat sad to see him go, but mainly only as a back up. It also sounds that he went through a period of not giving a shit before getting his act together which is to be respected. Not a lot of players can flick the switch back on again. 

6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

May as well have just given Bolasie another 2 years.

Let’s see if Dross Townsend even is a back up. I will dread this season even more if he’s a regular starter. 

Any positives for the upcoming season Mark? Just asking.

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

I would be amazed if we signed him. My view is you should never sign players for the bench, you should sign them to start and push the starter to the bench. His asset is his speed and dribbling and as he ages that will diminish. I refuse to believe there aren't younger, hungrier players abroad who we could sign that would cost a modest fee and less wages than Andros would be on. 

I have read through some Palace forums and they are somewhat sad to see him go, but mainly only as a back up. It also sounds that he went through a period of not giving a shit before getting his act together which is to be respected. Not a lot of players can flick the switch back on again. 

This right here. I said in another thread I’m okay with him as cover, but I agree with the statement in bold completely. 

1 hour ago, badaids said:

He would likely be ahead of Bernard and Iwobi as soon as he arrives.  Not very exciting though, but probably a good reflection of where we are in the transfer market both financially and reputationaly. 

Would he though? 

I have seen a few people say this, but both Townsend and Gray are worse footballers than Iwobi and Bernard. They are just quicker. Maybe they have a better attitude to the game but I am not convinced about that. That is literally it. 

I would hope that a decent coach could get more out of Bernard and Iwobi than we have seen. 

56 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It's actually smart business.  Townsend has a great chance at a club which gives him a similar stature to Spurs.  I'm sure he will be fully committed. 

Gray has proper pace.

"If" these were the levels of our transfers this summer then I would be concerned but I feel they are replacing Bernard and Iwobi who are not true wingers. They aren't being signed to pin our hopes on but to give us options and cover. 

57 minutes ago, StevO said:

All well and good having these two replacing Bernard and Iwobi, but we still have Bernard and Iwobi. 
Im sure we’ll have no issue letting Bernard leave on a free, but Iwobi? We would need at least £15m for him and I can’t see anyone putting that on the table. 

You’ve had some good posts this morning, must be a new batch of coffee or something ;)

Spot on, we still have iwobi and Bernard in a depressed market where most teams don’t have a lot of money due to covid.  Plus we have other dead wood.  They might not replace anyone, I do wonder if that would change peoples opinion on them coming.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

It's actually smart business.  Townsend has a great chance at a club which gives him a similar stature to Spurs.  I'm sure he will be fully committed. 

Gray has proper pace.

"If" these were the levels of our transfers this summer then I would be concerned but I feel they are replacing Bernard and Iwobi who are not true wingers. They aren't being signed to pin our hopes on but to give us options and cover. 

It's smart business if they actually do offer anything. I don't believe Townsend will - even at his best he was an average player and that was about 5 years ago.

There's more chance with Gray but it's hardly a signing to get excited about.

On 18/07/2021 at 06:54, c1982 said:

Free transfer on 2 year deal. Hopefully just a squad player as Benitez will want wingers and we’re not exactly blessed in this department. Aaron Lennon signing mk2 - that actually worked out pretty well to be fair.

Nice bit of analysis here:

Although it’s wrong! His xA per 90 is 0.15 and James is 0.28.

I don’t think he’ll of added much a few seasons ago let alone now. Feels like Theo MK2.

31 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

This feels very much like when we signed Delph and loads of our fans desperately tried to find reasons why he was a good signing.

Loads of fans were genuinely lauding the £8m as a snip.  

This is a free transfer and Townsends reputation was illformed because people expected him to be world class.... When in actual fact he was just very good. 

He's as inconsistent as most wingers. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

This feels very much like when we signed Delph and loads of our fans desperately tried to find reasons why he was a good signing.

You can tell it's an iffy signing when people have to find ways to justify it. 

41 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Loads of fans were genuinely lauding the £8m as a snip.  

This is a free transfer and Townsends reputation was illformed because people expected him to be world class.... When in actual fact he was just very good. 

He's as inconsistent as most wingers. 

Who ever expected Townsend to be world class? Also when was he just "very good"? 😆