Goals 1

Assists 5

Chances created 40

Bernard & Iwobi combined 

Minutes 1193

Goals 2

Assists 2

Chances created 26

Townsend a good signing imo. Good squad player.

Based on what you have put there, we would be better of keeping the other two!

3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

You can tell it's an iffy signing when people have to find ways to justify it. 

Who ever expected Townsend to be world class? Also when was he just "very good"? 😆

Harry Redknapp rated his talent up there with Arjen Robben. 

Is that not world class?

To get to play and score for England and get man of the match must mean you are at least very good???

At 30 so same age as James and Allan, so still a few years left in the tank.

As a team totally devoid of pacy wingers, then Townsend on a free is decent business. He has done well under Benitez in the past and is clearly a player he knows and trusts. 

He could easily turn out to be a Gareth Barry type of signing, I remember how uninspired a lot of people where when he came here. Low key but became a solid part of the team/squad. 

Townsend is a decent enough professional, and will improve our current squad with little cost.

2 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Not really a hard one to justify - in Calvert-Lewin, we have the most lethal aerial finisher in the league over the past few years. We have no out and out wingers to supply this lethal aerial finisher. Our new manager is likely to play with wingers so would obviously like some top top players but these top top players cost a lot of money, which, from overspending on average players, we do not have. Now nobody has said Townsend (or Gray) is their top choice and we all hope we can sell some players to bring in these top top players (who most have never actually seen play but they’re dead good on FIFA and Champ Manager and they cost loads so must be good!) but it makes sense to bring in decent players who offer direct pace (something we lack) and more importantly crosses for DCL (and Richarlison) who can come off the bench rather than bringing on Coleman to make play right wing or a centre back to play full-back and move Digne to left wing or Iwobi to moan about not being in the middle or Sigurdsson to point where someone should have been to cross the ball… we’re not talking about wasting £20m+ on Bolasie, Walcott, Tosun, Sigurdsson, Gomes, Iwobi and we’re not talking about paying them £100k+ a week like Bernard or Sandro - these are competent squad players on short term deals - sensible in my opinion especially when you consider Townsend and Gray combined will cost a third of a Mo Besic!

Answer me this - are Townsend and Gray going to have more or less impact off the bench than Bernard and Iwobi? I think more personally as they both have pace and will both run at players. Hindsight shows we should have kept Vlasic and Lookman but we didn’t and we didn’t actually lose money on them anyway.

I’d take almost anyone over Iwobi. 

15 hours ago, c1982 said:

Not really a hard one to justify - in Calvert-Lewin, we have the most lethal aerial finisher in the league over the past few years. We have no out and out wingers to supply this lethal aerial finisher. Our new manager is likely to play with wingers so would obviously like some top top players but these top top players cost a lot of money, which, from overspending on average players, we do not have. Now nobody has said Townsend (or Gray) is their top choice and we all hope we can sell some players to bring in these top top players (who most have never actually seen play but they’re dead good on FIFA and Champ Manager and they cost loads so must be good!) but it makes sense to bring in decent players who offer direct pace (something we lack) and more importantly crosses for DCL (and Richarlison) who can come off the bench rather than bringing on Coleman to make play right wing or a centre back to play full-back and move Digne to left wing or Iwobi to moan about not being in the middle or Sigurdsson to point where someone should have been to cross the ball… we’re not talking about wasting £20m+ on Bolasie, Walcott, Tosun, Sigurdsson, Gomes, Iwobi and we’re not talking about paying them £100k+ a week like Bernard or Sandro - these are competent squad players on short term deals - sensible in my opinion especially when you consider Townsend and Gray combined will cost a third of a Mo Besic!

Answer me this - are Townsend and Gray going to have more or less impact off the bench than Bernard and Iwobi? I think more personally as they both have pace and will both run at players. Hindsight shows we should have kept Vlasic and Lookman but we didn’t and we didn’t actually lose money on them anyway.

Thanks for that. I needed it. A touch of reality and perspective 👍

18 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Harry Redknapp rated his talent up there with Arjen Robben. 

Is that not world class?

To get to play and score for England and get man of the match must mean you are at least very good???

Do you seriously believe Andros Townsend is as good as Arjen Robben?

18 hours ago, RuffRob said:

At 30 so same age as James and Allan, so still a few years left in the tank.

As a team totally devoid of pacy wingers, then Townsend on a free is decent business. He has done well under Benitez in the past and is clearly a player he knows and trusts. 

He could easily turn out to be a Gareth Barry type of signing, I remember how uninspired a lot of people where when he came here. Low key but became a solid part of the team/squad. 

Townsend is a decent enough professional, and will improve our current squad with little cost.

I wish people would stop comparing older signings to Gareth Barry. Barry was a brilliant footballer who was an integral part of cup winnings sides. Townsend (and Delph before him) aren't fit to lace his boots.

17 hours ago, c1982 said:

You don't need wingers, you need to create space to put in a cross. For example Dwight McNeil would put in better crosses than either of these two, so would Siggy. Neither of these players are that quick either. People talk like they are as quick as Walcott but I don't see it. They might be a bit quicker than Iwobi but it is negligible. I just feel like a lot of the comments made by people about these players are not based on what they have actually seen them do.

We also didn't have to play full backs in the wing positions last season, they were Carlo's choices. He also hung all of our wingers out to dry last season and I expect better from every single one of them this year.

I would rather none of them came off the bench if I am honest, but I would still take Iwobi.

17 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Not really.  One player on one quarter of the wages - costing £40m less than the 2 combined provided equalish stats playing for a worse team. 

That presumes that we sell the other two. Bernard looks like he is going but there are no reports about Iwobi. Its a false economy if we end up with 3 crap players on the bench costing more money than two players on the bench. You shouldn't forget that these cheap or free signings will come with hefty sign on fees in the same way Bernard will have.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Do you seriously believe Andros Townsend is as good as Arjen Robben?

I wish people would stop comparing older signings to Gareth Barry. Barry was a brilliant footballer who was an integral part of cup winnings sides. Townsend (and Delph before him) aren't fit to lace his boots.

You don't need wingers, you need to create space to put in a cross. For example Dwight McNeil would put in better crosses than either of these two, so would Siggy. Neither of these players are that quick either. People talk like they are as quick as Walcott but I don't see it. They might be a bit quicker than Iwobi but it is negligible. I just feel like a lot of the comments made by people about these players are not based on what they have actually seen them do.

We also didn't have to play full backs in the wing positions last season, they were Carlo's choices. He also hung all of our wingers out to dry last season and I expect better from every single one of them this year.

I would rather none of them came off the bench if I am honest, but I would still take Iwobi.

That presumes that we sell the other two. Bernard looks like he is going but there are no reports about Iwobi. Its a false economy if we end up with 3 crap players on the bench costing more money than two players on the bench. You shouldn't forget that these cheap or free signings will come with hefty sign on fees in the same way Bernard will have.

Do I believe that Andros Townsend is as good as Arjen Robben????  No, absolutely 100% not .

Which reinforcees my point that Townsend was touted as world class but was just very good.  I think you missed that but thanks for helping me make it clear.

What I will say is that neither iwobi or Bernard are wingers ..... Townsend and Gray are.  Rafa is clearly trying to use width and pace ...... It make pure sense. 

Don't get the discussions as whether these 2 are wingers or not, neither pulled up any trees in there heyday, neither held a permanent place in a premier side.

Neither will improve us, this is back to Moyes days when no money was available, why are we in the bargain basement, with billionaire owners, and a new manager who must have had assurances about money available. Even the keeper we have signed is well past his sell by date, if not in years then certainly in talent, any one who watched Bournemouth in the play off semi final would not have been impressed, Hennessey would have been a better bet imo. let alone our own under study keeper.

Why do we have all the highly rated players in the under 21s and under 23s, yet still bring in journeymen with no interest in us or our future.

The whole strategy at the moment worry's me, and points towards another under achieving season.

I hope there is more on offer than has been shown so far.  

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I think its fair enough to compare older players with Barry - especially in the context of at the time loads of people moaned about Barry as a signing due to him being an aged footballer on a free (the typical - 'is that the level we are aiming for' comments). Did anybody truly call it that Barry would have turned out such a fantastic signing for us. 

Its about the immediate negative moaning about a signing before he has even had a chance to kick a ball for the club. Barry turned out better than most expected. In a blue shirt could Townsend not turn out better than most expect would expect from a free transfer? At least give the fella a half decent crack at the whip, before writing him of as not fit to lace up other player boots.

5 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I think its fair enough to compare older players with Barry - especially in the context of at the time loads of people moaned about Barry as a signing due to him being an aged footballer on a free (the typical - 'is that the level we are aiming for' comments). Did anybody truly call it that Barry would have turned out such a fantastic signing for us. 

Its about the immediate negative moaning about a signing before he has even had a chance to kick a ball for the club. Barry turned out better than most expected. In a blue shirt could Townsend not turn out better than most expect would expect from a free transfer? At least give the fella a half decent crack at the whip, before writing him of as not fit to lace up other player boots.

What he said.

23 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Paul power, David Weir, Richard Gough, Peter Reid, Andy Gray, Nigel Martyn..... Plenty of good players at the latter parts of their careers not just Barry. 

Yes nothing wrong with age, its talent they lack, all the above been there done it got the t-shirt.

The three we are talking about, been no where, done nothing.