IGNORED

Andros Townsend

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don't doubt it at all. I'm confident he's not.

The 100% reality is this ....... He is better than anything we have had in that role for a long time.

We spent £70m and c£450k a week on Walcott, Iwobi, bollassie and Bernard and he is far better than them. 

In terms of expectations he is one player I predict will exceed the majority of fans and pleasantly surprise many. 

39 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

The 100% reality is this ....... He is better than anything we have had in that role for a long time.

We spent £70m and c£450k a week on Walcott, Iwobi, bollassie and Bernard and he is far better than them. 

In terms of expectations he is one player I predict will exceed the majority of fans and pleasantly surprise many. 

Haf, he's 30. I know exactly the type of player we're getting, it's not like he's just starting out and there's time for him to learn or whatever.

Gray is likely to be the one that could still come good.

Edit - at least people have stopped pedalling the supposed positive of him just being a squad player because they've now realised he's been brought in as a starter.

33 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Haf, he's 30. I know exactly the type of player we're getting, it's not like he's just starting out and there's time for him to learn or whatever.

Gray is likely to be the one that could still come good.

Edit - at least people have stopped pedalling the supposed positive of him just being a squad player because they've now realised he's been brought in as a starter.

He's a better player than most people state - very underrated.  

The point I'm making is that it was very smart business getting him.  Fit as a fiddle, hard worker with 2 good feet.

He will contribute more than the other 4 combined.  The frustration aimed at Townsend is that we are spending money on better rated quality.

Gray will be great in fits and spells.  McFadden like consistency.

30 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

He's a better player than most people state - very underrated.  

The point I'm making is that it was very smart business getting him.  Fit as a fiddle, hard worker with 2 good feet.

He will contribute more than the other 4 combined.  The frustration aimed at Townsend is that we are spending money on better rated quality.

Gray will be great in fits and spells.  McFadden like consistency.

My frustration with Townsend is I've always thought he was terrible. We've been linked with him in the past and I've been of the same opinion of him then as well. Even at his best he was average if you were being kind.

It's smart business if you rate him, as you do, but I think it's just more crap business because he's a poor player. Made even worse by him being brought in to be our starting right winger.

The good thing about him is his work rate. We need someone on that side to help out when needed, and that’s the thing he did well prepared season, worked hard to get back. 
Unlike others though, he actually got back and challenged for the ball, rather than just jog back to make it look like they are.

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

He has never been a stand out player in any club he’s played for, what makes people believe he will be playing for us?

Don’t think I we need him to be a standout player here though mate. We just need someone who can do a proper job on the wing…. And if he does that, DCL will prosper and team will do better collectively.

8 hours ago, Palfy said:

He has never been a stand out player in any club he’s played for, what makes people believe he will be playing for us?

Has anyone said he will be a stand out player?

Personally I think he is better than what we had, or would you prefer to see the likes of Gomes, Iwobi, Gylfi and Tom Davies trying to play out wide?

I think he is a steady, honest player who will put a shift up and down the pitch and he can definitely be an asset with his crossing to provide a supply line for DCL

I think someone may have already said it but I see him in the Paul Power category of signing and on a fee transfer and presumably modest wages, whilst he may not be the marque signing we all want, I think it will prove to be a very good bit of business , especially given the (Un)FFP restrictions we are under

41 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Don’t think I we need him to be a standout player here though mate. We just need someone who can do a proper job on the wing…. And if he does that, DCL will prosper and team will do better collectively.

I understand that mate if he can deliver the ball on a regular basis DCL will benefit, today should give us a good indication of whether he can switch that ability on when he needs to, let’s be honest everything is in his favour to have a good game today, first game for the club at home against poor opponents who are very much in transition with better players leaving, his tail must surely be up for this one, I for one will be expecting a good performance. 

1 minute ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Has anyone said he will be a stand out player?

Personally I think he is better than what we had, or would you prefer to see the likes of Gomes, Iwobi, Gylfi and Tom Davies trying to play out wide?

I think he is a steady, honest player who will put a shift up and down the pitch and he can definitely be an asset with his crossing to provide a supply line for DCL

I think someone may have already said it but I see him in the Paul Power category of signing and on a fee transfer and presumably modest wages, whilst he may not be the marque signing we all want, I think it will prove to be a very good bit of business , especially given the (Un)FFP restrictions we are under

Time will tell but based on his past he lacks consistency, we don’t want 1-2 really good games then 5-6 poor games we’ve had that from Iwobi, what they cost and what we pay any player is no justification if they don’t perform, If they are not consistently good for the majority of games then any amount of money is a waste of money. I personally don’t think he will give us the consistency we require and that won’t help any striker it will have the reverse effect, a striker works on the knowledge that a player is going to deliver, as soon as he has no confidence in that player delivering he hesitates. 

10 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Time will tell but based on his past he lacks consistency, we don’t want 1-2 really good games then 5-6 poor games we’ve had that from Iwobi, what they cost and what we pay any player is no justification if they don’t perform, If they are not consistently good for the majority of games then any amount of money is a waste of money. I personally don’t think he will give us the consistency we require and that won’t help any striker it will have the reverse effect, a striker works on the knowledge that a player is going to deliver, as soon as he has no confidence in that player delivering he hesitates. 

That’s my point though, I honestly don’t think he is that type of player. I don’t know any Palace fans but I do know a lot of Geordies and they all loved him and said he was a steady 7 out of 10 every week 

I also think it’s a good thing that so many people are writing him off before a ball is kicked and he knows it because I think he has the type of character to stick two fingers up to them and roll up his sleeves and get stuck in to prove them wrong, at least that’s what I’m hoping anyway

As you say though only time will tell

9 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

That’s my point though, I honestly don’t think he is that type of player. I don’t know any Palace fans but I do know a lot of Geordies and they all loved him and said he was a steady 7 out of 10 every week 

I also think it’s a good thing that so many people are writing him off before a ball is kicked and he knows it because I think he has the type of character to stick two fingers up to them and roll up his sleeves and get stuck in to prove them wrong, at least that’s what I’m hoping anyway

As you say though only time will tell

Don’t get me wrong I’m not writing him off I would love him to be a success here as I want all players who wear our shirt to be, plus if he can find consistency what a feather for Rafa who is going to be under the microscope like no manager we’ve had in the past at a tough time for the club. 

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I think if he had been signed as a squad player then I'd feel much better about it, but him being a starter is just putting an even bigger dampener on what has been a shite summer for us.

Without doubt if the window closed now then it will have been a shite summer for us but even then I would say we were stronger coming out of it than we were going in

Just now, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Without doubt if the window closed now then it will have been a shite summer for us but even then I would say we were stronger coming out of it than we were going in

I think we're going to be quite busy on deadline day, for a change. But I don't know whether to be excited about that or absolutely terrified :lol:.

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Always said Palfy is full of it….. when did Iwobi ever have 1-2 good games in a row!

11 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Watched the game.   His crossing is a great asset.  From the right he cuts in on his left and hits lovely deep inswingers to the back post. Being two footed he can swing then in with his right. Nice. 

Seen more proper wing play from our two new lads than we have from the others in a long time. 

Do you know what I find more refreshing? Rafa has see DCLs strengths and is playing to them. I can't remember the last time we actually played to our strikers strengths. It's so refreshing.

15 minutes ago, Matt said:

Do you know what I find more refreshing? Rafa has see DCLs strengths and is playing to them. I can't remember the last time we actually played to our strikers strengths. It's so refreshing.

I think on MOTD they said we averaged 12 crosses per game under Ancelotti, and yesterday we smashed that with something like 17.

11 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I think on MOTD they said we averaged 12 crosses per game under Ancelotti, and yesterday we smashed that with something like 17.

Exactly. May not always be as "pretty" as the more popular pass to death football of the last decade or 2, but its more effective. 

DCL should have done better with Gray's cross in first half.

Thing is.... It's like golf - if you have to wait a long time between shots you lose your rhythm and feel, no good one cross every 20 minutes    If we keep peppering crosses in then I expect DCL to be sharper as the game progresses.

All we are seeing is genuine width and I said this when we signed the 2 lads ..... They are proper wide players. 

3 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Thing is.... It's like golf - if you have to wait a long time between shots you lose your rhythm and feel, no good one cross every 20 minutes    If we keep peppering crosses in then I expect DCL to be sharper as the game progresses.

All we are seeing is genuine width and I said this when we signed the 2 lads ..... They are proper wide players. 

What will happen now is teams will set up to stop our crosses coming in, which will leave them open to attacks down the middle, if we can be as successful down the middle as we look like we are going to be out wide we will be a force to be reckoned with this season. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

I agree with this. There were a few times Dom should have been sharper at either sprinting into the box or getting in front of his man. 

I expect he will sharpen up himself because he hasn't had much of a preseason but as the weeks go on he will learn more about Townsend and Gray too.