IGNORED

Andros Townsend

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

The confirmation bias is strong here. 

You think he had a good game then? :lol:.

Haf, he was terrible no matter what I think about him. If he'd have had a good game then I'd have said so. But the truth is he had a poor game (wasn't alone), but still popped up with the winner. Which is what I said. I'm not sure what else you want - lies?

11 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

You think he had a good game then? :lol:.

Haf, he was terrible no matter what I think about him. If he'd have had a good game then I'd have said so. But the truth is he had a poor game (wasn't alone), but still popped up with the winner. Which is what I said. I'm not sure what else you want - lies?

No I don't think he had a good game..... But I see something in him that has been lacking in lots of our players....... "Bottle".

Hes not afraid to take responsibility even if things haven't been coming off for him.  The way he strikes a ball requires perfect timing and execution but the benefits are great.   He puts serious action on it,  hits up in a wrapping motion to get the ball up and coming down with pace.  Get it wrong and it ends up in the stands.....

I noticed your review of his game Vs Southampton was somewhat muted Vs what he actually did.  The quality of his delivery scares the shit out of defenders and is a licence for a fully alert DCL to get a bagfull.  He was our most productive player in terms of creation.

Fuck me, we spent years watching the likes of Coleman and Walcott hitting pissy, floaty nothing balls in from the right.  I'd sooner concede possession by a mishit menacing ball Vs a nothing "oh look I've just crossed a ball into the box with so much caution that there is zero pace on it".  Joe Allen like safety play.

He will be a very good source of delivery from the right. For a free transfer he is smart business. 

35 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

No I don't think he had a good game..... But I see something in him that has been lacking in lots of our players....... "Bottle".

Hes not afraid to take responsibility even if things haven't been coming off for him.  The way he strikes a ball requires perfect timing and execution but the benefits are great.   He puts serious action on it,  hits up in a wrapping motion to get the ball up and coming down with pace.  Get it wrong and it ends up in the stands.....

I noticed your review of his game Vs Southampton was somewhat muted Vs what he actually did.  The quality of his delivery scares the shit out of defenders and is a licence for a fully alert DCL to get a bagfull.  He was our most productive player in terms of creation.

Fuck me, we spent years watching the likes of Coleman and Walcott hitting pissy, floaty nothing balls in from the right.  I'd sooner concede possession by a mishit menacing ball Vs a nothing "oh look I've just crossed a ball into the box with so much caution that there is zero pace on it".  Joe Allen like safety play.

He will be a very good source of delivery from the right. For a free transfer he is smart business. 

So you don't think he had a good game either, what's the problem? I commented on his actual performance in the game, nothing about anything else but as you're won't to do you start throwing in these random points about his bottle etc which is nice for him to have, don't get me wrong, and he seems like a decent fella as well, but these things have no relation to what I actually posted so I don't know why you brought them up.

I was muted about his Southampton performance because I didn't think it was anything to get excited about. The man that replaced him was then involved in two goals, so was therefore a far more influential player for us than Andros had been during his time on the pitch.

Do I think he's crap? Yes. Will that stop me praising him if he does something good, or has a brilliant game? No. I don't have an insatiable need to be right about him so I'll have no problem complimenting him during his time here.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

So you don't think he had a good game either, what's the problem? I commented on his actual performance in the game, nothing about anything else but as you're won't to do you start throwing in these random points about his bottle etc which is nice for him to have, don't get me wrong, and he seems like a decent fella as well, but these things have no relation to what I actually posted so I don't know why you brought them up.

I was muted about his Southampton performance because I didn't think it was anything to get excited about. The man that replaced him was then involved in two goals, so was therefore a far more influential player for us than Andros had been during his time on the pitch.

Do I think he's crap? Yes. Will that stop me praising him if he does something good, or has a brilliant game? No. I don't have an insatiable need to be right about him so I'll have no problem complimenting him during his time here.

Does me saying "confirmation bias is strong here" mean I said he had a good game? No it doesn't. 

Have you posted on all players threads from last night? No. So my point stands. 

14 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Does me saying "confirmation bias is strong here" mean I said he had a good game? No it doesn't. 

Have you posted on all players threads from last night? No. So my point stands. 

I don't know why you're going out of your way to find something to get antsy about. My post said that he was non-existent but popped up with the winner, and that I would take that. 

It's actually a positive thing, you big crank :lol:.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Whilst there are definitely questions as to how much Townsend contributes on the ball throughout the 90 minutes, there is no doubting what he contributes off it with his workrate and teamwork. 

He looks to already be a big part of the dressing room and you can see exactly why Benitez brought him here. 

Off the ball his input is unquestionable. 

It sounds ridiculous but we’ve lacked these average (ability wise) fit for purpose players for years; squad-fillers if you like. Townsend will be Mr Reliable this season - he may not always show the quality we’d hope for but he’ll always give 100% for the badge. If we go and sign Rondon, I’d expect more of the same - no one’s getting excited about him but he fits the system(s) Rafa will use and actually provide Dom a bit of ‘like for like’ competition/support which he’s shockingly never actually had in his time here (discounting Tosun on the basis that he’s always injured!)

11 minutes ago, c1982 said:

It sounds ridiculous but we’ve lacked these average (ability wise) fit for purpose players for years; squad-fillers if you like. Townsend will be Mr Reliable this season - he may not always show the quality we’d hope for but he’ll always give 100% for the badge. If we go and sign Rondon, I’d expect more of the same - no one’s getting excited about him but he fits the system(s) Rafa will use and actually provide Dom a bit of ‘like for like’ competition/support which he’s shockingly never actually had in his time here (discounting Tosun on the basis that he’s always injured!)

I agree, you just have to look back at the Moyes teams and in many ways they were filled with steady players and a couple with quality to make things happen. A bit like his current West Ham team too. Antonio isn't a particularly good footballer but he is bloody effective.

isn't it funny though, we spent all that time on a shoestring budget wishing to sign quality players. We sign some, it goes to shit and then we start wishing for those shoestring players again. 

Football eh?

Ticks more boxes than any wingers we have had in the past few years.

I recall him for palace being a player who you just wanted them to not have.  Pain in the backside to play against, has ability to change a game.  

His passing and ball winning stats yesterday were up there with defensive midfielder numbers. 

9 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Sshhhh you guys, don't talk too loud. @markjazzbassistwill hear you, and he thinks Townsend is shit 😜

Give him the season, it’s been 3-4 matches.  Everyone was swooning over Carlo james allan and then a few months later a lot on here had changed course.  It’s a fickle bunch here, wait till he has a bad game.