IGNORED

Yannick Bolasie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question -

Can we not send Bolasie (and Browning) to the same surgeon or physio we sent Besic to??? I mean Mo torn an ACL, and looks to be back to fitness in 6 months (I believe 6-9 months is typical). Bolasie (and Browning) are looking at in excess of a year for same injury! It would sure be nice to have him working back to match fitness this summer.

WIth ACL itself not so much. I had a complete tear - as in it no longer connected. There is really only 2 methods to repair a torn ligament, both require it to be replaced, it won't "heal". You can cut a new one from the patella tendon (what I had), then attach it and rehab, or one can be taken from a cadaver (as some friends have had), attached and rehab. It's typically 6-9 months for the graft to take and to strengthen the muscles and joint itself, but it's pretty much the same rehab schedule.

I mean if there are 2-4 ligaments torn, or other damage to parts, yeah that's a different kettle of fish, but basic ACL reconstruction has become pretty commonplace and routine.

-ps, I'm not in the medical field, but I have had 5 knee operations!

WIth ACL itself not so much. I had a complete tear - as in it no longer connected. There is really only 2 methods to repair a torn ligament, both require it to be replaced, it won't "heal". You can cut a new one from the patella tendon (what I had), then attach it and rehab, or one can be taken from a cadaver (as some friends have had), attached and rehab. It's typically 6-9 months for the graft to take and to strengthen the muscles and joint itself, but it's pretty much the same rehab schedule.

I mean if there are 2-4 ligaments torn, or other damage to parts, yeah that's a different kettle of fish, but basic ACL reconstruction has become pretty commonplace and routine.

-ps, I'm not in the medical field, but I have had 5 knee operations!

absolutely fascinating they can do that. my friend had this surgery and when he told me what they do, basically take another tendon and nail it into your knee to act like the one that snapped? I went nuts man. science and medical field are wild.

how are your knees now?

Yeah they just put like 2 screws on top and bottom till it grafts itself to the bone - the screws still show up on X-Ray lol. I was a high school jock, 4-5 years from being "fit", but I was back playing in basketball leagues less than a year later. Had it done in '93 and really haven't had an issues. Have some arthritis, but that's due to having torn cartilage removed in each knee in high school, then again in my late 30's, not directly from the ACL replacement. I just have to limit myself. Play golf, but don't walk the course, don't play in the field, limit myself to playing 'keeper and don't ref more than 2 matches on a given day - follow with ice, aspirin and a few adult beverages :) Still pretty freaking amazing that it "works" 25+ years later.

Shearer got patched up by Steadman much more recently than 93, and with ACL such a hot career killer there has been extra incentive to return performers to the field. I'm not doubting Evel Knievel above, but 5 acl surgeries? I've heard of 'blood patches' to prompt cartilage to repair, specific to grinding bone (easy!) I just wonder if the extra physical rigour expected at highest level pro football if medicine has crossed the bridge fully or if the success stories we hear of are due to lesser initial injuries. Anyway, hopefully Bolasie makes it back as good as five Lee Majors.

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say. He's had a handful of games to settle in when we weren't playing well and he's got a potentially career threatening injury.

Fucking idiotic thing to say

Cue the bantz shouts

Pad I think that was said more in jest because of how we are playing without him, anyway if it wasn't your spot on.