IGNORED

David Henen

Maybe its because of my forces background but Im an avid England fan and I just dont get the apathy towards the National side

I just dont relate to national teams, but then again Im not really patriotic, just not something I feel or understand if Im honest. It amazes me that people go to fight for their country!

Na, I don't agree with the majority on English youth.

I used the German league as an example as they are going to dominate the international scene for a long time. Their league is 80% German players with a massive pool to choose from. That's a good start if you're looking to improve the national team.

The English game is full of foreigners including the lower leagues. It's a shambles.

If the foreign players are so much better then we need to look why? And that's coaching at grass roots level. Let's get the foreign coaches in to teach our youth if they're that much better. Improve football pitches around the country.

I'm sure nobody would be saying this if it was their lad who was in the youth team and a foreigner came in and eventually your lad was released. It needs changing.

It won't be long until most teams have only 1 English player in their starting eleven.

Na, I don't agree with the majority on English youth.

I used the German league as an example as they are going to dominate the international scene for a long time. Their league is 80% German players with a massive pool to choose from. That's a good start if you're looking to improve the national team.

The English game is full of foreigners including the lower leagues. It's a shambles.

If the foreign players are so much better then we need to look why? And that's coaching at grass roots level. Let's get the foreign coaches in to teach our youth if they're that much better. Improve football pitches around the country.

I'm sure nobody would be saying this if it was their lad who was in the youth team and a foreigner came in and eventually your lad was released. It needs changing.

It won't be long until most teams have only 1 English player in their starting eleven.

I think it also has to do with the Premier league wanting the foreign players. The german league doesn't. They have plenty of them, but they're not glory hunting seeking them out. Look at Bayern Munich, they don't buy "World cup star" or "Next biggest thing" every year, they buy the best GERMAN each year. Bought Gotze instead of going for Bale or someone. That's their mindset, that's how the DFB have made it over there.

Plus most of those teams are owned by GERMANS. Not so in the prem, it's all Sheiks, Russians, and Americans. They would never allow that in Germany. Their biggest team Bayern is owned by a German, same with Borussia. Shalke owned by the club members, Bayer Leverkusen owned by German company, Wolfsburg owned by Volkswagon german company. Premer league big teams man city owned by foreigners, chelsea foreigners, liverpool foreigners, man united foreigners, Arsenal foreigners.

Fix those big issues and I think you'll see a lot more Brits. Just don't be surprised if the league isn't good anymore.

Guest blueboy122

That is all very noble , however as far as Im concerned if we can bring in a foreign player and it improves our team then Im all for it

If this lad was English we would probably have to add a couple of million onto the asking price

That's what he's saying though because the English lads are in such short supply there is a premium on them.

His posts is stating how we can get our own lads through in abundance like in Germany rather than having to pay premiums for very average players just because they hold a British passport.

That is all very noble , however as far as Im concerned if we can bring in a foreign player and it improves our team then Im all for it

If this lad was English we would probably have to add a couple of million onto the asking price

And then a few quid onto our tickets, pies, shirts (not with current deal), programmes, etc...

It must be strange for our American members to see us like this. They have immense national pride, and it's commendable. For me the national team is just a bit of fun every couple of summers in between the real football.

I'm more attached to Everton as my Dad is, and his Dad, and his. Where England seems more like a down south kind of thing to me.

On this kid, fingers crossed he's more Stones than Vellios.

Just want to point out that I'm American and not like this at all. I'm not a very patriotic person and could not care less about the national team. I was more excited to see lukaku score against the US than I would have been for the US to win.

Hope this kid does well. We all like a kid to turn into a goodun.

In terms of the foreign influx ruining our national team and home grown talent. That's bullshit for me. On a par with the lazy man who argues 'the foreigners take our jobs'...but then turns down jobs because he 'is above that'.

Anyway, just bare with me, the reason I think it's bull is that the foreign influx only really got into full swing from the mid to late 90's (was this due to a change in squad quota rules or something?). Before then, as a national team, we were still pretty crap. In fact, when it comes to football, we live to much by the mantra of 'we found this game, we must be the best'. We did nothing to progress our game for donkeys years. In the late 90's, it was the french model we needed to copy. Then it was the Spanish model. Now it is the German model? It doesn't matter which model we copy, we are still English. And that's the problem. It's a cultural thing. We just don't get the game. Well that's one of the problems for youth....then you have funding cuts, less pitches, increase costs for parents, dropping numbers, less teams, crap facilities, less coaches, too much red tape.....

Hope this kid does well. We all like a kid to turn into a goodun.

In terms of the foreign influx ruining our national team and home grown talent. That's bullshit for me. On a par with the lazy man who argues 'the foreigners take our jobs'...but then turns down jobs because he 'is above that'.

Anyway, just bare with me, the reason I think it's bull is that the foreign influx only really got into full swing from the mid to late 90's (was this due to a change in squad quota rules or something?). Before then, as a national team, we were still pretty crap. In fact, when it comes to football, we live to much by the mantra of 'we found this game, we must be the best'. We did nothing to progress our game for donkeys years. In the late 90's, it was the french model we needed to copy. Then it was the Spanish model. Now it is the German model? It doesn't matter which model we copy, we are still English. And that's the problem. It's a cultural thing. We just don't get the game. Well that's one of the problems for youth....then you have funding cuts, less pitches, increase costs for parents, dropping numbers, less teams, crap facilities, less coaches, too much red tape.....

Bollocks, best tournaments were Italia 90 and Euro 96.

You say we were "pretty crap" before the mid nineties.

Our best tournaments of late (both semi finals) were in the front part of the nineties.

We agree the foreign influx started to elevate in the mid 90s since then it's pretty much gone down hill.

You say we were "pretty crap" before the mid nineties.

Our best tournaments of late (both semi finals) were in the front part of the nineties.

We agree the foreign influx started to elevate in the mid 90s since then it's pretty much gone down hill.

Right. So 90 and 96 prove that we weren't pretty crap before Johnny foreigner arrived? Tell me what happened at USA 94? Your kind of missing my point a little. Or maybe I should have said 'history shows that before the foreign influx we were neither better nor worse off than we are now'. Your talking about 'of late', I'm talking about 'full stop'. We've just never been that good. Actually in 96 we had our lowest ever FIFA ranking (27th). In 2012 we had our highest ever(3rd). That's deliberately not a very good argument from me, because neither is 90 and 96.

94 we had a turnip in charge. Pretty much like now. If you genuinely believe foreign players have had no impact on the National team I can't help you.

I don't think they've had no impact, I just don't think they are the cause of the problem. Mahooosive difference (read what I said about culture and kids football).

But as above, leave it at that.

Coooooooooome on Henen (whoever you are!)

Edited by Newty82

66 was no fluke some great players in that team who would walk into today's England team.

Thats not really true Patto. Would love it to be true but todays football is so much more physically demanding than it was back in 1966.

There were some great players in 66 tho, for their time.

66 was no fluke some great players in that team who would walk into today's England team.

point 1. If it wasnt a fluke, what happened in 70? The team was similar and supposedly stronger than the 66 team. Normal service was resumed, and has been the same since, and before.

point 2. yes they may walk into todays team, but thats not saying much. Would they walk into Germanys team this year? Or Spains for the last six years? Or France in the 90s? I doubt that they would.

So in my opinion, 66 was a complete one off, a team of good players, on home soil, with momentum, and a bit of luck.

Edited by StevO

point 1. If it wasnt a fluke, what happened in 70? The team was similar and supposedly stronger than the 66 team. Normal service was resumed, and has been the same since, and before.

Gordon Banks got food poisoning pre the quarter final; if he'd have been in goal no way would we have chucked away a two goal lead v West Germany. Not saying we'd have beaten Brazil in the final; but we may well have got to it.