IGNORED

Landon Donovan

there are rumours that the stoppage could be anywhere from a couple of weeks to half or all of the season. if there were to be a work stoppage, landon would technically be going behind picket lines by playing for us if his loan were extended, but i don't think they would care too much as it would be much more beneficial for the national team if he were playing at a top club in europe rather than sitting around at home in los angeles. all of that being said, the administration in MLS will not want there to be a stoppage just as much as the players don't want one. the tv ratings will be much higher after the world cup, no matter whether the national team does well. even after the 2006 WC, when the US flopped, and also after the confed cup last summer, there seemed to be a lot more people wanting to watch football (soccer on this side of the pond) and the MLS was the only viable option since it was the only league in season being shown on TV over here. all of the officials in MLS will definitely want to capitalize on that, and like i said, won't want there to be a work stoppage

i think it made you lot realize that football is the better game :D I did watch a fair bit of college american football though, i do like the game. Back to the point, wouldnt it cripple the MLS if the strike went on for a season? Even if it was only a few months, players would want to play and be looking elsewhere to keep fit or even just to play!

oh and thanks for the translation but im marrying an american so already know its soccor! but since the english invented the game and the fact that its played with feet rather than the QB throwing the ball, i stick with football! :P

Edited by galacticaracnid

i think it made you lot realize that football is the better game :D I did watch a fair bit of college american football though, i do like the game. Back to the point, wouldnt it cripple the MLS if the strike went on for a season? Even if it was only a few months, players would want to play and be looking elsewhere to keep fit or even just to play!

oh and thanks for the translation but im marrying an american so already know its soccor! but since the english invented the game and the fact that its played with feet rather than the QB throwing the ball, i stick with football! :P

well the problem that the players have over here is that there are a lot of players that aren't getting paid very much. some players have to share apartments, and i even heard about one player having to live with a host family because he couldn't afford to live on his own. the players probably want to get it all sorted out, since they need to get paid, but they want to be paid a proper wage. tbh i'm not even sure how the whole structure works here, i just know its fairly ridiculous and much closer to the way the NBA is run, rather than every other football league around the world.

haha i know, i call it football here all the time, so i constantly find that i'm correcting myself. sometimes i think i was born in the wrong country..... anywhere else and people would understand my obsession with football much, much more.

He needs to make it soon then. He's 28 now, if I was him, I'd be trying to make the move permanent now, he's probably peaking in his ability about now, and he can always go back to the MLS, the sunshine and retirement when he's passed 30. If he was to go back to the US for another 6-12 months then com back here I think he'd be missing a great opportunity.

Come on Donners, we all want you to stay, make it happen. ;)

MLS salaries are rubbish. I would hate to see a lockout, but if the players aren't going to get some concessions from the league, then it definitely is merited.

definitely agree with that.

I read another article on donovan a few days ago basically pleading with him to make the permanent move it everton. it talked a lot about how he already knows that we're a perfect fit for him and he wouldn't have to get used to another team's structure if he moved permanently to us, not to mention theres quite a few other americans playing in the EPL. it went on also to talk about how without donovan's big contract in the MLS, it would free up money to help bring through several other american talents, which I thought was very relevant with the whole work stoppage possibility.

my neighbor that's a humongous man utd and US mens national team fan said he was gutted that we absolutely destroyed them over the weekend, but that he was happy to see landon playing so well for us. he really wants him to make the permanent move over to us, which is the general position that anyone who supports the national team takes. honestly, either in the summer or at worst next january is the ideal time for landon to make his move permanent us. hopefully it's this summer though so that we can have him for a full pre season and we can continue to play the way we've been playing ever since he's been here.

Can i just say I LOVE DONOVAN!!

Hope to god theres some way of him staying here, because hes a player i love to watch for everton, he makes things happen PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE :)

edit : He also seems to be a top man, his personality and his sudden love for the club and its fans, in this modern era, is unheard of.

Edited by craigb

• 2 weeks later...

If he does stay. Thats great. if not, I am sure he will want to go out with a bang. Just so that we remember him.

Not that after his impact here he is likely to be forgotton before the summer transfer window.

Reading between the lines, I think the club are doing everything they can to make sure that sooner or later he becomes a permanent signing.

I think Moyes is going to have a severe headache should Donovan not extend his loan. With Lando gone and Jags making a return Moyes will not only have to deal with a potential mess in the middle of the park, he'll have a couple big choices to make concerning the back line.

I see the defensive options being one of three formations.

Neville Heitinga Jagielka Baines

This leaves us without any real size in the back, but with two of the best CB we've had in some time. This is my preferred back line should Lando stay.

Heitinga Jagielka Distin/Yobo Baines

This gives us some ability on the right (crucial should Lando leave) as well as a maestro paired with some size in the middle. Wouldn't mind seeing either Distin or Yobo back there as long as Jags is there to direct them.

Coleman Jagielka Distin/Yobo Baines

Heitinga

This formation would be great. I think Heitinga could be tremendous in the DM role. It would also free some things up in the mid-field...Coleman could be played with little risk as Heitinga could always be shifted over to RB and Coleman subbed for a DM (Rodwell or Osman) should he not work out.

I see Midfield playing out like this...1 of 3 ways. (this season, no Fellaini <_< )

Bily Arteta Osman Pienaar

Cahill

Questionable. Arteta isn't back just yet and Bily goes missing too often.

Osman Arteta Neville Pienaar

Cahill

We all know Osman is wasted on the wings, but surely he can carry his recent center of the park form to the wings and play a little better than Bily. And Nev and Teta produced some magic last year...who knows.

Heitinga

Bily Arteta Pienaar

Cahill

This might be my favorite mid field line-up. Which would see the starting XI look like this

Howard

Coleman Jags Yobo Baines

Heitinga

Bily Arteta Pienaar

Cahill

Yak

hello guys im an arsenal supporter and i think it would be a big let down if u couldnt get landon donavan on a permanent contract i think it would be a big let down not to get him at a big club as yourselves becausew hes just the right type of player ur looking at at the moment much love D.G

My preferred defence would be

Neville/Coleman Jagielka Heitinga Baines

But that second half against Spurs has given Moyes a get out because Heitinga played so well as the DM, so he'll probably take the easy route and shove him there. I'd be cautious of that myself because in the previous games he'd played as DM he didn't do all that well at all, and he sees himself as a CB (which he's proved week in week out now).

Neville Jagielka Heitinga Baines - I'd go with this defence. Solid in the middle, attacking down the left and Neville on the right. I'd still want Neville in the team. Hibbo can't be that far off, either.

The midfield would then look something like this: Rodwell, Arteta, Pienaar, Cahill, Osman, though that's not a perfect line-up - too many centre players and no one really to operate down the wings.

I think we're gonna really miss Donovan, he's given us a bit of pace down the wings, and a few more attacking options.

So ok, Donovans on his way!.....Good rather than brilliant, we will have to manage without him and change things around.

Funny squad really!.....Cahill, great in one position, not so good anywhere else.

Heitinga, Rodwell, Osman....where will they play this week?

Neville, great captain....Midfield or right back!

Anichebe.....out wide or middle?

Arteta......advanced or holding!

Bily.....turn up or not bother :( .

Saha or the Yak........maybe Vaughan!

Jagielka....starting or on the bench.

Pienaar, which wing.

HELL!.........THIS IS FUC%ING BRILLIANT!........Opponents, wont have a clue what formation were playing or who will be in which position.

Mind you................Do we know :huh:

I agree with the Coleman Jags Heits Baines defence but we could have a problem in midfield.

Against some teams we will be able to get away with the midgets in the middle but we will struggle in most games if we dont have that anchor to provide some strength and discipline. Osman, Arteta or Rodwell cant do that. They are better being allowed to go forward and our only other options are Neville or Heitinga.

I would have no problems letting Neville move forward especially as it lets Coleman get a game. I would only let Heitinga move forward if Jags was 100% fit and ready to play. If not then Heitinga HAS to stay in defence as two of Yobo/Distin/Senderos would be a horrendus CB pairing.

Oh well, always likely to happen to be honest!

I just hope Moyes doesn't go full out to get him at any cost so we pay well over the odds.

10 starts, 1 goal and 1 assist, not really £10million plus form.

If they get him, lets hope it's the Donovan who played at Sporting Lisbon and missed the sitter at Spurs.

If he goes to Chelsea I can't see him being much more than a squad player....bassed on what I'v seen from him.

If he scores a couple today against Hull......then I'll probably change my mind :blink:

Donovan is a good player!

I'd like him at Everton, just would't want to spend too much on him.

I'd rather have Andrei Arshavin.(what the hell is he worth now)!

not that much, he hasn't been particularly brilliant other than the odd game...i'm not overly impressed