IGNORED

Landon Donovan

My opinion on saha will never be swayed on one hand reasonable prem striker who was cheap on other hand injury prone mercinary. After the quotes about required wages at 60k a week he can seriously go jump. Moyes isn't too worried as saha can now sign a pre-contract with ither clubs. I would rather have beckford than saha.

:blink::o

Seriously?

I have read some bizare comments in here but that is quite possibly the strangest of the lot

:blink::o

Seriously?

I have read some bizare comments in here but that is quite possibly the strangest of the lot

He has his head too far up his arse to appreciate the quality Saha has and the contribution he has made at the club in a short period of time. He's a lost cause.

Edited by Romey 1878

I value everyones opinion, but on this saha / beckford. Its saha all day long without a shadow of a doubt. We dont even know if beckford can cut it in the championship, let alone the premiership. Saha is sheer quality when hes on his game, up there with the best strikers in the prem when hes on fire.

I hope we sign donovan too.. Bill.. Donovan wernt too bad against wigan to be honest. He made some good runs, always looked to attack, and actually linked play up nicely at times, either with a pass or coming inside showing a few skills, he seems also, a big game player, which will bode well since we never really have the rub of the green vs the "big teams" at times, maybe thats why he wernt as potent v wigan, as he was vs City.. still thought he did well, and what ive seen so far, tallied with his good words of everton, and his great spirit and determination to succeed, i believe he would be a quality signing for us.

Edited by craigb

I think Donovans biggest problem is Neville playing behind him! I agree with Bill I wouldnt get in there straight away throwing money for his signature, at least for now anyway. He is clearly very good on the ball and is direct which is something we havent had on the right for a while. However you can still see that he isnt being given the time on the ball that he would want (especially against Wigan) and he plays some strange passes but that may well improve as he gets used to the league and the team. He can also go very quiet in games, Wigan was the biggest example of this, but even against Arsenal and Man City there were large chunks of the game that he wasnt involved in (even though the bits he was involved in were good). IMO its because Neville isnt giving him the same distribution that Baines is giving Pienaar as an example, but as previously stated that may come as he gets used to the team, or if Coleman gets a chance (because it wont get any better with Hibbert!).

I like him and he looks good but he still needs to bring more if the 5mil or 8mil figures are being banded about but having said that if he scores the winner in the derby then its a no brainer for 10mil!

Got to agree, Baines and Peanuts play nice one twos etc and pioneer gets well fed however, Neville just gives the standard ball down the line, doesnt overlap and most of the time misses Landon out altogether and plays it long. Coleman playing there would free up an awful lot of space for Landon to exploit.

Got to agree, Baines and Peanuts play nice one twos etc and pioneer gets well fed however, Neville just gives the standard ball down the line, doesnt overlap and most of the time misses Landon out altogether and plays it long. Coleman playing there would free up an awful lot of space for Landon to exploit.

well said mate, but like we pointed out in the Coleman thread, Pip is unlikely to be dropped. It would be fantastic if LD and Coleman could forge a partnership like Baines and Pienaar. With Arteta and Screech in the midfield... Nice proposition!!!

Im for the early bidding because if at the end of the 10 weeks he's continued to be awesome then other clubs with bigger wallets may come in. Dont want to see another Arshavin episode. 3mill on current performances is buttons, even 5-7 isnt bad. Also, it looks like he wants to play for us (not just him saying it, his performances so far too), which i really like to see....

i definitely don't want to see donovan replacing saha...i want to see them both in the same team or donovan and someone else if saha leaves, i like the look of donovan playign a wider role it's caused defenders a few problems so i'd be reluctant to change that...get huntelaar in and ill be a happy bunny

I think I have stated a few times my issue with Saha is not particularly his skill as a player as I think when fit he is a reasonable prem striker. My issue is that he you cannot rely on him as back up because his fitness is so sporadic. therefore I would rather Yak comes back as first choice and is given the games and then vaughn and one other are used as cover. For me saha is a good sub to bring on but at 60k a week we can't afford such a small contribution. So get rid and sign beckford who could be an impact player.

WHat I am saying is I would rather take the gamble on a free scoring fit 26 year old (I know goals are at a lower level) than persist with a injury prone 30 something who after a short spell of form wants 60k a week. Does anyone not have a problem with him asking for such high wages.

for a player of his pedigree in the premier league, 60k is more than reeasonable. he is one of the best strikers in the prem when given the service other top strikers are getting. he is earning half what drogba torres anelka rooney berbatov are getting, he is deffinately better than one of them.

That free scoring 26 year old is only proven at League 1 level, whereas that injury-prone 30 something is proven at the very top. I'd put money on Saha scoring more goals in an injury interrupted season at this level than Beckford would in a full season in the Premiership.

Word is that Saha will sign a new contract with us btw.

Is that Memma jumping off a bridge I hear? ;)

I think I have stated a few times my issue with Saha is not particularly his skill as a player as I think when fit he is a reasonable prem striker. My issue is that he you cannot rely on him as back up because his fitness is so sporadic. therefore I would rather Yak comes back as first choice and is given the games and then vaughn and one other are used as cover. For me saha is a good sub to bring on but at 60k a week we can't afford such a small contribution. So get rid and sign beckford who could be an impact player.

WHat I am saying is I would rather take the gamble on a free scoring fit 26 year old (I know goals are at a lower level) than persist with a injury prone 30 something who after a short spell of form wants 60k a week. Does anyone not have a problem with him asking for such high wages.

60k a week for a proven world class (granted, when fit) game changing player (who despite injuries is still our leading goalscorer) compared to a multi million pound fee to the club to buy the overrated, but most importantly unproven-at-level-needed, player. Then tack on a signing on fee for agent/player/both and then wages on top....

Even if Saha comes on as a sub, he can win a games. I would rather sell Yak (someone who is so lazy he makes an amputeed sloth look nippy) and use the money to keep Saha and Pienaar and maybe then buy a back up striker like Beckford. Better still, Donovan!

Thats a thought, can we swap Yak for LD?

60k a week for a proven world class (granted, when fit) game changing player (who despite injuries is still our leading goalscorer) compared to a multi million pound fee to the club to buy the overrated, but most importantly unproven-at-level-needed, player. Then tack on a signing on fee for agent/player/both and then wages on top....

Even if Saha comes on as a sub, he can win a games. I would rather sell Yak (someone who is so lazy he makes an amputeed sloth look nippy) and use the money to keep Saha and Pienaar and maybe then buy a back up striker like Beckford. Better still, Donovan!

Thats a thought, can we swap Yak for LD?

If you mean Beckford hes on a free in the summer

Personally I would like us to get him in the summer, not at Saha's expense mind, if only for the fact that if it doesnt work out we could probably get a couple of million for him from a Championship side in the next window

Personally I would like us to get him in the summer, not at Saha's expense mind, if only for the fact that if it doesnt work out we could probably get a couple of million for him from a Championship side in the next window

thought id heard that too but wasnt sure. Im with you on this then mate...

I agredd 100%, and i think Moyes will think the same thing. If he isnt good enough, move him on at a profit.

"That was Landon's best game for us," said Moyes. "But I don't think we'll be able to keep him when his three-month loan expires unfortunately."

Sad face or mind games?

--

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/10/everton-chelsea-premier-league-match-report

Edit for link

Edited by chicagoblue

http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/09-10/comment/fan/article.php?submissionID=14521

1. The Everton faithful have to make him feel welcome. So I think to a large extent, mission accomplished on that front.

2. I think his recent contract was a strategy by his advisors to get some up-front money from MLS, with an eye towards marketing him in England for 3 months, then hoping he stays healthy and puts in a good performance at the World Cup, which triggers competition from European clubs over the summer. This would lead to a buyout of the MLS contract and another windfall for his advisors. Remember, no-one knows what's in his contract and there is speculation in the US that he has a little more control over his fate than either he or Moyes is letting on.

3. Everton will need to cough up probably £6 million, maybe a bit more depending on the World Cup.

4. My sense it that he loves Everton and that Everton would have the inside track over any other club. I believe this is the reason Moyes continues to start Donovan regardless of his form. Let's face it, two of Donovan's six appearances could easily have resulted in a benching. It's Moyes's way of baiting Donovan — "If you sign here later this summer, you WILL play". Donovan has already been at big Euro Clubs so I doubt any counter offer from a "Big Club" will impress him.

Ultimately the limiting factors are:

– Can Everton come up with the money this summer? Answer - Yes

– Does Donovan want to come to Everton on a long term deal? Answer - Probably.

Frankly, I think the wild card in all this would be his wife.

I am confident that Donovan has authority to leave the MLS if a fixed sum (£XM?) or higher is offered; the way his MLS contract was negotiated simultaneously with the Everton deal tells me the MLS deal was written with an eye towards leaving.

Lastly, over the next 5 months I wouldn't trust ANYTHING I read or heard from MLS, Everton or Donovan... there's no upside for anyone to tip their hand too early. The MLS negotiating crew are rank amateurs and tried to play the original loan story as if the Everton deal in December was on hold because of other "offers" from unknown European Clubs... which was pure crap.

What Moyes's press conference tells me is that, barring an MLS lockout, Landon Donovan will return to the States in March. What was left unsaid... is that the real dance begins in July and all three parties know it. I think the fans and Moyes and Donovan have done everything right so far in terms of setting the table for a deal after the World Cup. My guess is that it's probably going to happen.

http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/09-10/comment/fan/article.php?submissionID=14521

1. The Everton faithful have to make him feel welcome. So I think to a large extent, mission accomplished on that front.

2. I think his recent contract was a strategy by his advisors to get some up-front money from MLS, with an eye towards marketing him in England for 3 months, then hoping he stays healthy and puts in a good performance at the World Cup, which triggers competition from European clubs over the summer. This would lead to a buyout of the MLS contract and another windfall for his advisors. Remember, no-one knows what's in his contract and there is speculation in the US that he has a little more control over his fate than either he or Moyes is letting on.

3. Everton will need to cough up probably £6 million, maybe a bit more depending on the World Cup.

4. My sense it that he loves Everton and that Everton would have the inside track over any other club. I believe this is the reason Moyes continues to start Donovan regardless of his form. Let's face it, two of Donovan's six appearances could easily have resulted in a benching. It's Moyes's way of baiting Donovan — "If you sign here later this summer, you WILL play". Donovan has already been at big Euro Clubs so I doubt any counter offer from a "Big Club" will impress him.

Ultimately the limiting factors are:

– Can Everton come up with the money this summer? Answer - Yes

– Does Donovan want to come to Everton on a long term deal? Answer - Probably.

Frankly, I think the wild card in all this would be his wife.

I am confident that Donovan has authority to leave the MLS if a fixed sum (£XM?) or higher is offered; the way his MLS contract was negotiated simultaneously with the Everton deal tells me the MLS deal was written with an eye towards leaving.

Lastly, over the next 5 months I wouldn't trust ANYTHING I read or heard from MLS, Everton or Donovan... there's no upside for anyone to tip their hand too early. The MLS negotiating crew are rank amateurs and tried to play the original loan story as if the Everton deal in December was on hold because of other "offers" from unknown European Clubs... which was pure crap.

What Moyes's press conference tells me is that, barring an MLS lockout, Landon Donovan will return to the States in March. What was left unsaid... is that the real dance begins in July and all three parties know it. I think the fans and Moyes and Donovan have done everything right so far in terms of setting the table for a deal after the World Cup. My guess is that it's probably going to happen.

He is most definetely a bachelor, divorced as hell :D

Yes, he's surpassed my expectations.

If he keeps it up it will be well worth trying to keep him methinks. :)

Not just yours i dont think Bill, i think most of the Everton faithfull had questions, most he has answered.

did we spend £10M on bily?? i think he will become a good player but landon has had an instant impact and has far more pace! surely we should've been looking at him in the summer?? unless my ignorance has surfaced again!

How much better does our play down the sides look with this little word present????

His tackle on Cole last night has put him out for 3 months so there's even more reason to sign him up now B).

Ooooh yeah. Completely accidental, but i don't care!

http://www.mls-daily.com/2010/02/donovan-win-over-chelsea-career-best.html

Donovan recently signed a new 4-year deal with MLS that will see his salary increase from $900,000/year to $2.25 million/year. For Everton to keep him on a permanent basis, they would likely have to shell out a transfer fee of around US$10 million (£6.38 million) to Major League Soccer. Another option could be for the club to pay a smaller fee in order to extend the loan until the end of the Premier League season.