IGNORED

Landon Donovan

When it comes to a " dead ball ", situation, if it's a penalty then there's no other player I'd like to see stepping up than Arteta! But, corners no!....and untill he's 100% confident in his knee, free kicks where he's going for goal, then again no.

Pienaar's free kick the other day, over the wall and into the bottom corner! That will take some beating this season.( against Chelsea I think).

Donovan does take a mean corner, I'd leave him to do just that.

Arteta, will I hope be back to his best soon.

When it comes to a " dead ball ", situation, if it's a penalty then there's no other player I'd like to see stepping up than Arteta! But, corners no!....and untill he's 100% confident in his knee, free kicks where he's going for goal, then again no.

Pienaar's free kick the other day, over the wall and into the bottom corner! That will take some beating this season.( against Chelsea I think).

Donovan does take a mean corner, I'd leave him to do just that.

Arteta, will I hope be back to his best soon.

Pienaar's free kick against City was decent but let's face it, it only went in because the guy in the wall moved and Given should have saved it imo, as a free kick it wasn't a patch on Arteta's powerslam from nearly the corner flag against Robinson or several other of his free-kicks. I agree that at the moment he looks a little rusty but he'll only get better with practice and games, we need to give him encouragement not groaning whenever he gets something wrong. His final free-kick (shot at goal) the other night was a pretty decent effort, it was only a yard over the bar and it was hit with good pace. I think we have enough players to mix it up, I would assume Osman would be a good set piece taker, he has good skill and is one of our only players who fairly regularly scores goals from outside the box, I'd like to see him given a crack at a few free kicks on the edge of the box, alongside Pienaar, Arteta and Donovan, I don't really rate Baines delivery in general.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/donovan-lands-award.html?utm_source=rss_everton&utm_medium=rss_feed&utm_term=Donovan+Lands+Award

Donovan named player of the month now, not so sure he actually was our best player in January but it can only stengthen our chances of getting him back next year

Great for Donovan .. Hope this might help in getting him back next season.

As for the actual result, surely Pienaar, Fellaini and maybe even Heitinga had a better month.

This has got to be mindgames surely, trying to butter him up in the hopes he will stay/sign. For me it was a toss up between Screech and Johnny...

taken a clip from the BBC site:

The manager revealed that Landon Donovan played after a flu scare on the morning of the match but the American, on loan from Los Angeles Galaxy, delivered another impressive display.

Donovan is set to return to the United States for the start of the Major League Soccer season with the Galaxy and Moyes said there were no plans to extend his loan beyond the end of March.

"I think Landon would like to stay but at the moment it probably looks as if not," he said. "I wouldn't want to have any disrespect to his club or the contract he has over there."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8526221.stm

not looking good then chaps...

I personally think now there's an 95% chance that donovan will move here permenantly. I mean it's very unlikely he will return to Mls because he's done all he can do over there, we know he loves everton and it feels like 'home' to him. He indicates in reports nearly every week that he would like to stay here. And i don't think he would go to any other premierleague club because everton was his first and I can't think of any other club that would make donovan feel at home like everton do.

coyb x

His latest comment about was that the atmosphere was even better yesterday than the Chelsea game and that he's very proud to play for Everton!

Here is his actual quote from fb!!

Landon Donovan Wow. I didn't think anything could top the atmosphere from last week's win against Chelsea but I don't think I've ever been in a louder stadium than yesterday. Thank you all for another incredible memory...I am so proud to play for this club. Have a great Sunday!

I've been keeping up on the LD talk on some American boards

I've fallen for Everton as well.

The minute LD is bought I'm buying a royal blue #9 jersey.

Pretty common sentiment. We would certainly sell a lot of his Jersey's, especially with the World Cup coming up.

Rumors also about that we've put in a bid of around 7M (The price is not mentioned in the article though)

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/MLS-strike-action-aids-Everton-bid-for-Landon-Donovan/5923/

I've been keeping up on the LD talk on some American boards

Pretty common sentiment. We would certainly sell a lot of his Jersey's, especially with the World Cup coming up.

Rumors also about that we've put in a bid of around 7M (The price is not mentioned in the article though)

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/MLS-strike-action-aids-Everton-bid-for-Landon-Donovan/5923/

same link as above. Where is this rumour of 7mill? I would be very happy with that!

If we signed him in the summer and didn't let anyone leave that'd be a pretty good summer, certainly better than the last! Come on Everton, we'd make the money back comfortably if the Yanks start following us more!

Last summer was more than worth it for Heitinga alone :gay:

Last two summers have been great. Fellaini, Heitinga, Bily and even Distin are all good moves by Moyes. If we get in Landon and one other (a left back/winger) I'll be more than content. But really the one thing that would make summer for me is an entire silly season without an Everton-Moutinho link. :rolleyes:

Last two summers have been great. Fellaini, Heitinga, Bily and even Distin are all good moves by Moyes. If we get in Landon and one other (a left back/winger) I'll be more than content. But really the one thing that would make summer for me is an entire silly season without an Everton-Moutinho link. :rolleyes:

Amen to that!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/350395-mls-work-stoppage-imminent-donovan-may-be-staying-with-everton

article about mls work stoppage and possibility of donovan staying longer

will be interesting to see if the Galaxy manager will put the US world cup chances before his team, not sure that would happen in the UK! So if this strike does happen, starting 26th Feb (if the deadline is the 25th) how long would it go on for?! If we already have LD signed until mid March that would mean a strike of several weeks, if i understand it right.

nice website too, like the links to BarelySports, very interesting articles there, especially the "what gymnasts can do with their bodies" and "Beach Volleyball Definitely Has The Sexiest Uniform In Sports"...

Donovan to stay, what a great player. Look as thou he can play anywhere in midfield. i DO think he wants to stay at the club BUT i dont think he will come out an says he wants to leave LA an join us beacuse landon in the states is there sliced bread and after the press coverage him having a go at beckham last year with him saying he wants to go to AC Milan he would just look like a hipokrit. If i deal can be made between the clubs it would suit landon but i dont think he will ever come out and say he doesnt want to go back.

This is a bit of a long quote, again from an American board, but I thought it was interesting enough to share.

Agreed that IF it happens, 80% chance it's after the world cup.

That being said....I simply don't see his price skyrocketing after the World Cup. What he's worth by the end of this loan will remain so for another year, and start declining as he ages...

While he didn't have a stellar 2006 WC, he was pretty amazing in 2002 for a 20 yr player with a decade and a half ahead of him....and no one came calling. In 2009 after being one of the best players of the tournament at the confed cup - no one came calling with crazy money.

The likelihood of the USA making enough noise (quarter finals at least, or LD scoring a brace against England) to make a significant bump in his value is just miniscule.

He is a known quantity - what are you going to learn about him you haven't seen these last 6 weeks?? Or much less this last year after his performances against Italy, Spain, and Brazil?? Nothing.

On top of that, I don't care if Chelsea, Milan, Madrid, Man U, or Liverpool come calling with $30million + pounds....Donovan isn't going to play ANYWHERE he isn't sure he's going to be happy. (I'll admit that perhaps Arsenal or Barcelona could be interesting to him considering their styles. And yes, he'd be in danger of being lynched if he even talked to the Reds).

Yet, more importantly, after what Everton have done for him, entrusted in him during this difficult period (I mean, STARTING a loaned American in their derby!!) - from what I've gathered about his personality as an interested fan in 10 years watching his career - he signs for Everton in 2010 or he signs for no one. He is not overtly money driven, nor glamour driver (looking for THE biggest name in a club). He wants an experience and to make a difference for a club with great comraderie, or by lifting an entire sport (MLS).

He'll turn down other offers - and MLS won't sell him if he says he doesn't want to go to that team. If all parties know this - his price will not rise. Everton have a bargaining chip by basically saying, "if you want ANY money for him, he'll only agree to play with us. Plus, you'll get him back in August of 2014 on a free transfer - you can't lose. And in April and May you'll get sold out stadiums as Landon makes his last MLS appearances for many years."

He's had such an amazing time at Goodison - no way he risks hoping for lightning to strike twice - any other experience at a Euro club is going to be a let down after this. So I prognosticate that LD will be back on loan w/ Everton in 2011 even if they don't buy him. I think his fall back plan is the 'best of both worlds' of playing for LAG and loaning to Everton for 3 months a year.

Lastly, that report from Arteta's Girl (AG from here on out. You've earned your own abbreviation!!) tells me that a permanent deal is VERY much on the table. It could fall through, but based on his reactions in the past, pay close attention in the next 4 weeks. All the quotes are feeling right, and MLS is so bogged down in their labor deal.....it might be to Everton's advantage as MLS is motivated to push this through and not generate more bad press with anything other than being able to spin Donovan going to Europe as a success story.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1341144&page=5

Edited by chicagoblue

will be interesting to see if the Galaxy manager will put the US world cup chances before his team, not sure that would happen in the UK! So if this strike does happen, starting 26th Feb (if the deadline is the 25th) how long would it go on for?! If we already have LD signed until mid March that would mean a strike of several weeks, if i understand it right.

nice website too, like the links to BarelySports, very interesting articles there, especially the "what gymnasts can do with their bodies" and "Beach Volleyball Definitely Has The Sexiest Uniform In Sports"...

there are rumours that the stoppage could be anywhere from a couple of weeks to half or all of the season. if there were to be a work stoppage, landon would technically be going behind picket lines by playing for us if his loan were extended, but i don't think they would care too much as it would be much more beneficial for the national team if he were playing at a top club in europe rather than sitting around at home in los angeles. all of that being said, the administration in MLS will not want there to be a stoppage just as much as the players don't want one. the tv ratings will be much higher after the world cup, no matter whether the national team does well. even after the 2006 WC, when the US flopped, and also after the confed cup last summer, there seemed to be a lot more people wanting to watch football (soccer on this side of the pond) and the MLS was the only viable option since it was the only league in season being shown on TV over here. all of the officials in MLS will definitely want to capitalize on that, and like i said, won't want there to be a work stoppage