IGNORED

Kopite Thread

It was more a comment to prove that spending a metric fuck-ton of money does not equate success

No it doesn't to be fair but Rodgers is much more astute than AVB and they were a much better side when they lost Suarez than Spurs were when they lost Bale. Brenda has also realised he needs to sort that defence out. They'll miss Suarez but in Balotelli they've as near as replaced him in terms of genius. Suarez is by far and away a better player but Balotelli with his madness bordering on genius could well be the piece of the jigsaw that was missing.

It's a gamble but one if it pays off will pay handsomely. I only pray the gamble falls flat on it's arse.

Liverpool were marginally the better side in the first half but only had one shot on target. City could have had four or five in the second half. Sterling hasn't changed, he still goes to ground at the slightest contact with a defender. But with Suarez gone they are not going to get as many penalties as last season.

They weren't much of a threat going forward today and the defence was woeful. Lambert was like a deer caught in headlights when he came on. He was involved in their goal in a non-constructive way (O.G. by the way) and missed a relatively easy chance when it would have been easier to score.

Stevie G. was nowhere near the force he has been and today was little more than a squad player going through the motions.

Personally, I see them dropping to fifth or sixth.

How come?

Think they'll come in third myself. Chelsea and Man City's squads are simply too good for the rest of the league imo. Arsenal got a very good player in Alexis, but still haven't got a holding midfielder that has athletic and tactical abilities and still haven't got a top class centre forward. Spurs have a good squad and I think now a good manager who might succeed in getting the most out of that squad. United aren't really improving the areas I'd have thought they'd improve and Di Maria (while a great player who has had a brilliant season) doesn't really fit for me. It's buying a top class player despite already having class players in that position, a bit like Arsenal did with Ozil last year though even more blatant.

How come?

Because they have way too many new players to create a well-functioning team. This game pointed that out - and that they have no real bite to them now Suarez has gone (not my pun - I read it elsewhere). And they have the CL to contend with, which will not only be a struggle but losses could affect morale. I'd be surprised if they make top four, really.

Must admit, I did watch Man City and they gave a masterclass in stopping the counter attacks, expert little fouls - Gareth Barry does these. They bullied Raheem and Coutinho out the game.

To say Liverpool are "too fair" makes me laugh though.

Get away with murder all the time. Bloody shocking the amount they get away with.

Ludogorets as well.

Explains why I got my Europa ranking calculations wrong last night, beeb said that they'd gone out but in fact Steaua Bucharest dropped down and they have a higher coefficient than us!

Thought I was going mad, glad there's an explanation :).

Anyway, how strong are Basel this year? Anyone know? Be between them and Liverpool for second place most likely.

Sorry mike, forgot you were an encyclopedia of football.

Not at all, far from it. But I've heard of Ludogorets, this isn't their first season in Europe. In fact (looking it up because I'm no encyclopedia) they won their Europa group stage league last year and then beat Lazio before losing to Valencia in the last sixteen. Noticeable performance imo.