IGNORED

Kopite Thread

"Two hours before taking on Real Madrid in the 1981 European Cup final in Paris, Alan Kennedy and his Liverpool team-mates were not exactly 'in the zone'.

Warm-up routines, pre-match rituals and Bob Paisley's team talk were all put on hold because of a row with TV broadcasters over advertising.

At their insistence, Liverpool were obliged to cover up the Umbro logo on their shirts, prompting scenes more akin to an episode of Blue Peter than the build-up to the continent's biggest club contest.

"It was absolutely diabolical," recalls Kennedy. "A couple of hours before the game we were putting sticky tape on each other's shirts. I was doing Alan Hansen's, he was doing mine and Phil Thompson was doing Phil Neal's.

"It was totally ridiculous and would never happen now, but Bob reacted in a good way. He said we should be even more determined to win the game. His attitude was always that if someone puts problems in our way, we'll get over them, and that's exactly what we did."

Christ that must've been a terrible distraction, how on earth did they recover from the trauma of putting a bit of sticky tape on a shirt? Must've taken up a good thirty seconds of precious build-up time. But just a suggestion for them in case it happens again; two hours pre kick-off you've probably not got your shirt on right? So ask the kit-man to do it :rolleyes:.

Good result today for them drawing with Hull. I thought this was gonna be their year after last season's challenge?

They lost Suarez, sturridge is injured, agger left as well, and they brought in some decent players but no world class players. The defense still sucks, Gerard is another year older and they won't bench him. Pretty much what I expected to be honest.

Edited by markjazzbassist

He's just not that good. Certainly nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

It's nothing to do with him being a Liverpool either for my view; I've never rated him and never understood the fuss about him. He's hugely over rated in the footballing world.

Yeh I never really understood it. He is clearly a talented footballer but he has no real understanding of the game and he is a liability as well. They would be better off starting Lambert.

Well they have found their scapegoat anyway. I actually don't think he's anywhere near as bad as they make out. Need to look at their manager IMO.

yeah, he did a half hearted attempt to strengthen the back line, but it hasn't done anything really. i agree that brenda is to blame as well, he's made some terrible transfer dealings.

He's just not that good. Certainly nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

It's nothing to do with him being a Liverpool either for my view; I've never rated him and never understood the fuss about him. He's hugely over rated in the footballing world.

When he can be arsed he's very good. He's pretty much a 1:2 striker everywhere he's been and that's at the top level. His mentality is his achilles heal.

When he can be arsed he's very good. He's pretty much a 1:2 striker everywhere he's been and that's at the top level. His mentality is his achilles heal.

Looking at his overall stats he is more or less a 1:2.2 striker like you say but looking at the individual seasons it shows that he is really hot and cold. In one season for City he was less than 1:2 but for the other two seasons he was closer to 1 in 3 or 1 in 6. At Inter in his first season he was 1 in 2 but then dropped to 1 in 3 and 1 in 4 the following 2 seasons. He was far more consistent in his last two seasons though at almost a goal game in his first year with Milan and then just over 1 in 2 in his second season.

If you look at that he is bound to hit a hot streak at some point. The defending in the Italian leagues is far more stand offish than the PL which would really suits him but he still managed one very good season at City as well.

In the Telegraph Sport section today, there is a big front page photo of Steven Gerrard, titled 'Gerrard Unvcovered' Liverpool captain - unflinching and truthful as always - reveals his thoughts on life at Anfield.

I read the article. There is absolutely no criticism of anything at Anfield and any problems are dispatched as 'not our fault'.

Guest blueboy122

Controversial one but I just don't see the big fuss around Raheem Sterling...

Yes he's quick and an exciting player but so are many wingers, he's an exact carbon copy of Aaron Lennon to me.

This whole he's going to be world class is bollocks to me.

Would rather have that Berahino from WBA.

Controversial one but I just don't see the big fuss around Raheem Sterling...

Yes he's quick and an exciting player but so are many wingers, he's an exact carbon copy of Aaron Lennon to me.

This whole he's going to be world class is bollocks to me.

Would rather have that Berahino from WBA.

Awful shout.