IGNORED

New fan in St. Louis

briguy_stl

Now that NBC is broadcasting all of the BPL games and since I still have WC fever, I thought I'd follow Everton since Tim Howard plays for them! Yeah, not much of a reason but you have to start somewhere, right? I've read a lot of great history of the club, and I can't imagine what sort of rivalry Everton has with the Liverpool club, seeing that their stadiums are less than two miles apart.

Anyway, I figured I'd start off with a question that I'm guessing most new US fans have...can somebody please explain the concepts of transfers and loans? In hockey, baseball, and the NFL we have trades, free agent signings, but this transfer and loan stuff is new to me.

And another easy one...we don't have an MLS franchise in my city, so I don't follow it all that closely. When it comes to quality, are there any MLS teams that could compete in the BPL, or are they more on par with the English League Championship clubs? My guess is the latter.

Thanks all!

Brian

Welcome to the forum. Visited St Louis whilst my wife was studying there, nice place :)

I'll leave most of the questions to some of our resident US members.

For transfers etc, the articles on wiki are decent for an introduction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_window

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loan_(sports)

Good info, thanks!