IGNORED

Hello from Atlanta, Georgia

Michael Casanova

I'm fairly new to football (2009), and admittedly only watched the big 4(not much access to any other teams initially), but things have really opened up after the World Cup in 2010. I followed the bread crumbs here from one of my favourite Arsenal players, Arteta, and started watching intermittently whenever I could find a game. Then as I got gradually more into the sport, I noticed a lot of my favourite footballers have spent a fair share of time in the Royal blue: Beardsley, Speed, Cahill, Big Dunc, and others.

I dont have any connection to Merseyside or anything like that, and I may have a different relationship to football than people who've grown up with it, but I think Everton are a great club that play exciting football with great fans. The kits don't look too bad either ;)

To hell with Liverpool and Rangers, up the Toffees!

Edited by Michael Casanova

welcome, i'm from new orleans, just down the road. good forum here, we even accept dirty birds :yay:

side note for the non-americans- atlanta's american football team is the falcons, who have a touchdown dance known as the dirty bird, another nickname for them.

Edited by markjazzbassist

welcome, i'm from new orleans, just down the road. good forum here, we even accept dirty birds :yay:

side note for the non-americans- atlanta's american football team is the falcons, who have a touchdown dance known as the dirty bird, another nickname for them.

My brother-in-laws brother adopted the Falcons for some reason :lol:

I'm fairly new to football (2009), and admittedly only watched the big 4(not much access to any other teams initially), but things have really opened up after the World Cup in 2010. I followed the bread crumbs here from one of my favourite Arsenal players, Arteta, and started watching intermittently whenever I could find a game. Then as I got gradually more into the sport, I noticed a lot of my favourite footballers have spent a fair share of time in the Royal blue: Beardsley, Speed, Cahill, Big Dunc, and others.

I dont have any connection to Merseyside or anything like that, and I may have a different relationship to football than people who've grown up with it, but I think Everton are a great club that play exciting football with great fans. The kits don't look too bad either ;)

To hell with Liverpool and Rangers, up the Toffees!

Welcome! Must be time to start planning some Atlanta get-togethers at a local sports bar. In which part of the city do you live?

I visited Atlanta in about 1978. Remember a lovely restaurant called 'The Lark and the Dove'. Visited the Caterpillar Tractor Dealer there - Yancey Bros. Welcome in Michael.

Internet say it was closed down in 1993 to make way for a "Ruth's Chris Steakhouse" I'm afraid John. No idea what they're like but "chain" restaurants are normally hateful places in my experience. Getting a "Jamie Oliver Italian" opening near me in the near future and I'll avoid like the plague.

Incidentally, was reading a thing about what meats people deem acceptable to eat in different countries earlier.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29427295

and was surprised by this

"..changing an ingrained meat culture isn't easy. In the UK, it's beef, chicken, pork, lamb. In the US, you can delete lamb from that list."

Is that right that Americans don't eat lamb?

Internet say it was closed down in 1993 to make way for a "Ruth's Chris Steakhouse" I'm afraid John. No idea what they're like but "chain" restaurants are normally hateful places in my experience. Getting a "Jamie Oliver Italian" opening near me in the near future and I'll avoid like the plague.

Incidentally, was reading a thing about what meats people deem acceptable to eat in different countries earlier.

"..changing an ingrained meat culture isn't easy. In the UK, it's beef, chicken, pork, lamb. In the US, you can delete lamb from that list."

you're right mike. unless we eat at a "greek" place, or a "middle eastern" place, it's beef and chicken. pork is a solid 3rd, a lot of people try and stay away from it.

I'll confirm what Mark said. It's available, but it's not really popular. I could probably count the number of times I've had it on one hand. Edited by TonkaRoost

I'll confirm what Mark said. It's available, but it's not really popular. I could probably count the number of times I've had it on one hand.

Really? I've lived here all these years and never realized it? I love lamb and often choose it when eating out. I thought everyone was looking at me because I'm just so good looking, but maybe it was the lamb.

Really? I've lived here all these years and never realized it? I love lamb and often choose it when eating out. I thought everyone was looking at me because I'm just so good looking, but maybe it was the lamb.

I'll try and say this as polite as I can. You're a phd right Steve? The restaurants you frequent and the ones I frequent probably are a lot different. Every mid range to low priced place won't have lamb. High end places will have it.

I'll try and say this as polite as I can. You're a phd right Steve? The restaurants you frequent and the ones I frequent probably are a lot different. Every mid range to low priced place won't have lamb. High end places will have it.

You mean Steve goes to more expensive burger joints than you do; that's about as sophisticated as US restaurants get isn't it :lol:?

:67:

I'll have to defer to Verreauxi on this one. Not only does he have a PhD, but he remains a fully fledged purist academic - whereas my hands have been muddied by not only working in industry but by being in sales (what a shameful confession). When Verreauxi and I met over dinner, I seem to remember that he chose the red snapper, coaxed from a deep-water Norwegian fiord, drizzled with a fine mussel and ras el hanout infused sauce, with lightly poached Madagascar quail eggs and quinoa from the Zanzibari flatlands. In my case, I had a lamb burger and chips.

You mean Steve goes to more expensive burger joints than you do; that's about as sophisticated as US restaurants get isn't it :lol:?

:67:

Hey, don't mock burger joints. Just look at these beauties in Atlanta. Tell me you can read this article without your mouth watering...

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/our-top-10-burgers-in-atlanta-georgia.html

When Verreauxi and I met over dinner, I seem to remember that he chose the red snapper, coaxed from a deep-water Norwegian fiord, drizzled with a fine mussel and ras el hanout infused sauce, with lightly poached Madagascar quail eggs and quinoa from the Zanzibari flatlands. In my case, I had a lamb burger and chips.

All in a sesame seed bun :lol:.

Hey, don't mock burger joints. Just look at these beauties in Atlanta. Tell me you can read this article without your mouth watering...

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/our-top-10-burgers-in-atlanta-georgia.html

Even if I had functioning taste buds and salivary glands they'd hold no appeal I'm afraid :). Never been a burger fan or even much of a meat eater.

My wife has a "guilty pleasure" (she maybe has more than one but this is the only one I know about); she watches Man vs Food. When I catch a bit of that I wonder how any of our American brothers live beyond forty.

My wife has a "guilty pleasure" (she maybe has more than one but this is the only one I know about); she watches Man vs Food. When I catch a bit of that I wonder how any of our American brothers live beyond forty.

great point. obesity is an epidemic over here, all the food is polluted with genetically modifying it and meat isn't even really meat, more "animal parts" mechanically joined to make it look like meat. for real food you have to pay a premium and shop at a whole foods organic grocery type store. my wife studied nutrition and you have to cook at home and make very conscious decisions to eat well here, or be blessed with crazy metabolism, either or!

great point. obesity is an epidemic over here, all the food is polluted with genetically modifying it and meat isn't even really meat, more "animal parts" mechanically joined to make it look like meat. for real food you have to pay a premium and shop at a whole foods organic grocery type store. my wife studied nutrition and you have to cook at home and make very conscious decisions to eat well here, or be blessed with crazy metabolism, either or!

I rarely go shopping, but more often than not it's to the local Whole Foods Market. Not sure whether organic food stores have hit mainstream in Britain yet, but I would hope so.

Lol well played. We do love our McDonald's here.

I've not eaten a McD's in the US. But, I have helped myself to the exceptional fast food of Wendys, 5 Guys, Steak n Shake, In and Out, and a couple of others. There's no surprise the US suffers from obesity, there is sooooo much good, quick food.

All in a sesame seed bun :lol:.

Even if I had functioning taste buds and salivary glands they'd hold no appeal I'm afraid :). Never been a burger fan or even much of a meat eater.

Always knew there was something iffy about you....

That show makes me so angry. Actually disgusts me with its existence.