IGNORED

Stoke City (h)

Guest rusty747

Guest rusty747

Mirallas and McCarthy likely to be fit but no Osman, Hibbert or Gibson.

We desperately need to get back to winning ways. Almost as desperately, we need a good performance.

I think we have learned from the Soton game that a fluid attacking three of Barkley, Nais and Eto'o doesn't work so what would your starting eleven be? Mine is

Howard

Coleman. Jags. Stones Baines

Besic. Barkley

Mcgeady. Nais. Mirallas

Rom

Subs: Robles Distin Garbutt McCarthy Eto' Oviedo Kone

With Stones able to bring the ball out from the back, Barkley deep (with licence to surge forward) and the pace of Mirallas and Mcgeady out wide I think it gives the side balance, flair and pace and should allow us to play at a higher tempo - which I believe is the main ingredient that we have been lacking recently.

On the other hand, I thought a fluid three against Soton was a good idea so wtf do I know?

Edited by rusty747

Guest rusty747

I did think about dropping Rom for the very reasons you suggest. I am not sure that Eto'o is good to lead the line for 90 minutes though so my thinking was to give Rom 45 mins and sub him for Kone at HT if it's not working. If Kone looks good then Kone to start the next game with either Eto'o or Rom to sub for him if he looks tired or it isn't working.

Edited by rusty747

I did think about dropping Rom for the very reasons you suggest. I am not sure that Eto'o is good to lead the line for 90 minutes though so my thinking was to give Rom 45 mins and sub him for Kone at HT if it's not working. If Kone looks good then Kone to start the next game with either Eto'o or Rom to sub for him if he looks tired or it isn't working.

Part of the reason I want Eto'o upfront is to see if it really is Rom breaking up play or if its tactics. Eto'o has a better work-rate (debatable for me) and better touch (certainly) so in theory, if the chances are being made, we should see a significant improvement in our play. One game won't prove that but if it gets 3 points its worth the experiment. Then, as you say after 60 mins, bring Rom on and give him a chance to attack a tired defence. If thats a way to get his confidence up, so be it :)

I don't like Eto'o starting; apart from one game when he's started he's been pretty useless. But if Lukaku is taken out of the firing line then it'd have to be him because I don't think Kone is ready (physically) to be starting.

I wouldn't be against Naismith leading the line either, same applies to him regarding touch, work-rate plus intelligence. Actually think he is better as the lead striker than supporting striker anyway.

Guest rusty747

If we had the luxury of points in hand I would love to see a front two in a 442 formation of Nais and Barkley - but that will have to wait for much later in the season I think.

A N Other

Coleman Jags Stones Baines

Mcgeady Besic McCarthy Mirallas

Barkley Naismith

Edited by rusty747

Guest rusty747

The only semi bright spot from Soton game was Besic. Very hard on the lad to drop him for Barry who has been absolute shite recently.

Edited by rusty747

We desperately need to get back to winning ways. Almost as desperately, we need a good performance.

I think we have learned from the Soton game that a fluid attacking three of Barkley, Nais and Eto'o doesn't work so what would your starting eleven be? Mine is

Howard

Besic. Barkley

Mcgeady. Nais. Mirallas

Rom

With Stones able to bring the ball out from the back, Barkley deep (with licence to surge forward) and the pace of Mirallas and Mcgeady out wide I think it gives the side balance, flair and pace and should allow us to play at a higher tempo - which I believe is the main ingredient that we have been lacking recently.

On the other hand, I thought a fluid three against Soton was a good idea so wtf do I know?

Spot on team selection that mate.

Rusty ' s selection looks bang on.

All I'd change is to drop Lukaku for Kone. Allow Kone to run the defence ragged for 45-60 minutes then bring on Lukaku to finish them off.

That starting 11, on paper, still excites me a lot. It gives me hope...but will it be the starting line up?! See if Martinez goes for similar to Southampton...there'll be a dog turd sent in the post!!!

I'd settle for a narrow win, but more importantly we need a proper full flowing confident solid team performance.

Howard

Besic. Barkley

Mcgeady. Nais. Mirallas

Rom

Pretty much my wishes for Boxing Day except I'd have McCarthy in for Barkley, Barkley in for Naismith who would be on the bench for me. Barkley needs a run in the no10 role so we can see exactly where he fits in this side because it sure as hell isn't to the left or right of an attacking 3.

Guest rusty747

I'm not keen on the back five either but I still believe it's the best back five we have. A new 'keeper in January would be nice though.

If we get to a stage this season where we have nothing to play for in the league I would like to see Garbutt and Galloway given a chance alongside Stones and Coleman with, hopefully, a new 'keeper.

Edited by rusty747

I'm not keen on the back five either but I still believe it's the best back five we have. A new 'keeper in January would be nice though.

If we get to a stage this season where we have nothing to play for in the league I would like to see Garbutt and Galloway given a chance alongside Stones and Coleman with, hopefully, a new 'keeper.

apart from the fa cup the season is over as regards the keeper if you don't like joel play the under 21 keeper but don't just say that's the best we have

got and accept mediocrity at least try something.

Guest rusty747

There is still a chance that we can go on a run and challenge the top six. There is also a chance that the wheels can fall off completely and we find ourselves in a relegation battle. So, at the risk of sounding like Moyes, let's not experiment too much until we have 40 points. When we get to 40 points we can decide if there is anything in the league left to play for and adjust accordingly. Meanwhile, we should play our best back five and, unfortunately, at the moment that is it.

you all seem to have learned nothing this season you leave the back five alone which is where all the trouble is and gripe about the front line very strange.

So what do we do then, play Robles who is worse than Howard or a 17 year old kid who'll be eaten alive. Drop Baines our main assist player this season hopefully Stones is back then what, Hibbert ? We're struggling enoughfor creativity at the minute without taking away another attacking threat in Coleman even if he is struggling for form.

Other than that we have no other options other than kids. You think that team against Krasnador will be ok in the prem?

Stop talking out your arse. Other than Stones the back line is settled. The whole teams playing shit not just them.

I agree 100% with you on Howard but to play an under 21 keeper instead is just stupid.

why not play the under 21 keeper you have nothing to loose if he makes a mistake so what howard does every week

just think you might unearth a gem you don't know but one things for certain we have nothing to loose by trying

but we have everything to loose if we stay as we are.

Guest rusty747

We have a lot more to lose by following your suggestion than by staying as we are. We risk destroying a young 'keeper's confidence, right royally upsetting Howard and Robles and publicly admitting to every man and his dog that we are writing this season off. I for one am not ready to do that yet. Neither I would suggest is anyone connected with the club - and that includes almost everyone on this forum I hope.

We have not played well this season - let's be honest, we have been dire at times but to make wholesale changes just for change sake is not constructive in any way shape or form - especially with Stones, Mirallas and McCarthy returning from injuries. I do understand your sentiments but let's make sure we are safe and have nothing to play for before unleashing Griffiths, Ledson et al onto the premier league.

Evolution not Revolution.

Edited by rusty747

Firstly, apologies boys ive been pretty quite here - touched down in London last Thursday, making my way through Europe now so its been a bit hard keeping up on here. I have managed to get on a few times and gather some updates... Wont mention the SOTON game, only saw the score and some comments that's all I need.

Still of the belief we can turn it around and one good run could set us back amongst the race, but that's just me being overly optimistic I feel.. Hope we get Kev back for Stoke, need the points desperately.

Enjoy your Christmas everyone, where ever you may be I hope its an amazing day!

Rom will get bullied by shawcross today. If there is one thing kone has proved, it's that he has an abundance of strength on and off the ball. I would start with kone and have Eto'o second half. I think we should have mgeady on the left today. I think bardsley will really struggle with him. Besic tight on Johan and distin tight on crouch, not giving him any room to jump. Other than that they have little else. In a nutshell, I think we need to prepare teams around opponents. This is what RM gets paid for.

Rom will get bullied by shawcross today. If there is one thing kone has proved, it's that he has an abundance of strength on and off the ball. I would start with kone and have Eto'o second half. I think we should have mgeady on the left today. I think bardsley will really struggle with him. Besic tight on Johan and distin tight on crouch, not giving him any room to jump. Other than that they have little else. In a nutshell, I think we need to prepare teams around opponents. This is what RM gets paid for.

Lets hope its the other way around tomorrow then

My lineup would be:

Howard

Coleman Jags Stones Garbutt

Besic

Barkley

McGeady Naismith Mirallas

Lukaku.

I agree with a lot that his been said so far. Besic deserves the start. I would like Oviedo to come in as a sub if available. Howard frustrates the hell out of me. I watched the Tot v. Burnley match and Lloris's movement was superior in comparison to Howard. With his new booking coming out, the World Cup hype, and now becoming a TV pundit I feel he has become too distracted and is thinking more about what he will do once he retires.

Edited by ForEverton2