IGNORED

Cricket Thread

20 hours ago, MikeO said:

From 267-1 with twelve overs left we should've been out of reach, 400 was gettable; classic England collapse:rolleyes:.

Both my parents are from New Zealand so I follow the kiwis a bit in some sports but they generally are good at a collapse like that. Even when both openers got ducks I thought they would roll over. 

Been a good series between the two, stokes has made a huge difference!

• 2 weeks later...

This is awesome! England are 18-4 in the 10th over.

PS - make that 18-5 in the 11th. I'm loving this.

PPS - make that 18-6 in the 12th. Wow!

PPPS - it's 23-7 in the 13th. Whoohoo!

PPPPS - now it's 23-8 in the 14th. Un-be-lievable!

PPPPPS - 27-9 in the 16th. Drum roll, please....

Overton rather spoiled the rout by hitting 33, but England are all out for 58. Way to go, Kiwis!

23 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

This is awesome! England are 18-4 in the 10th over.

PS - make that 18-5 in the 11th. I'm loving this.

PPS - make that 18-6 in the 12th. Wow!

PPPS - it's 23-7 in the 13th. Whoohoo!

PPPPS - now it's 23-8 in the 14th. Un-be-lievable!

PPPPPS - 27-9 in the 16th. Drum roll, please....

Overton rather spoiled the rout by hitting 33, but England are all out for 58. Way to go, Kiwis!

Trent Boult was incredible -  nothing really in the pitch just moved the ball miles 

21 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Aww, those loveable Aussies always play cricket in the right spirit. 

The same way they love to dish out the verbals during matches but go crying to anyone that will listen when it’s given right back at them. 

Getting spanked now happily, gone from 57-0 to 94-9 after tea on the fourth day (England would be proud of that); need another 334 to win.

But still not quite sure why they were allowed to continue at all, should've forfeited the game; Smith's "punishment" is a one game ban and loss of match fee for this. Hope that's not the end of it.

27 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Getting spanked now happily, gone from 57-0 to 94-9 after tea on the fourth day (England would be proud of that); need another 334 to win.

But still not quite sure why they were allowed to continue at all, should've forfeited the game; Smith's "punishment" is a one game ban and loss of match fee for this. Hope that's not the end of it.

All over now :D

Because it’s only a level 2 offence, weirdly. 

11 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

All over now :D

Because it’s only a level 2 offence, weirdly. 

Pre-meditated cheating and getting the new boy in the team to "do the deed" is only level 2?

Actually looking at the code of conduct it's Bancroft who's guilty of "Changing the condition of the ball in breach of Law 42.3". Smith's offence is plainly worse; he's being ripped to pieces by everyone in the cricketing world and even the Ozzie PM, could be career ending. 

55 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Pre-meditated cheating and getting the new boy in the team to "do the deed" is only level 2?

Actually looking at the code of conduct it's Bancroft who's guilty of "Changing the condition of the ball in breach of Law 42.3". Smith's offence is plainly worse; he's being ripped to pieces by everyone in the cricketing world and even the Ozzie PM, could be career ending. 

Personally, even though Bancroft and Smith have said the coaching staff weren’t involved, I think they’re taking the heat for the higher ups. Not condoning what they did at all but I’d be very surprised if Lehman hadn’t had some input into the decision. 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

They're still maintaining that Lehmann knew nothing about it... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

It still hasn't been clarified why Lehmann radioed the 12th man who then went to talk to Bancroft.  Doesn't sound like the actions of someone who was outside the loop.

12 minutes ago, johnh said:

It still hasn't been clarified why Lehmann radioed the 12th man who then went to talk to Bancroft.  Doesn't sound like the actions of someone who was outside the loop.

I think Lehmann was sending the message that Bancroft had been caught on camera, because straight after he then stuck the stuff into his underwear. 

4 hours ago, MikeO said:

Now come to light that it was sandpaper!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43565737

I think it was sticky tape with dirt/sand/gravel from the boundary edge. 

Edit: now also reading sandpaper. Lehman surely must have known. During the press conference you wouldn’t say leadership team and only be talking about Warner. 

I watched the Warner interview last night. Completely fake, he isn'tt sorry at all and he failed to answer any questions (other than repeating the same garbage). I also thought it was telling that he failed to say no-one else was involved (other than the 3 punished), and that he kept apologising for what happened in that one test. He made a point of, repeating the "Newlands test". Everyone knows which test he is talking about so why be specific? Given the video of Bancroft putting sugar in his pocket in the Ashes it wouldnt surprise me if there were more instances.

The Australian cricket fans have been great though, they wont just let them get away with saying sorry and sweeping it under the carpet so quickly. They will want more answers and I suspect their "forgiveness" will depend on whether they get those answers.

9 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I watched the Warner interview last night. Completely fake, he isn'ttttt sorry at all and he failed to answer any questions (other than repeating the same garbage). I also thought it was telling that he failed to say no-one else was involved (other than the 3 punished), and that he kept apologising for what happened in that one test. He made a point of, repeating the "Newlands test". Everyone knows which test he is talking about so why be specific? Given the video of Bancroft putting sugar in his pocket in the Ashes it wouldnt surprise me if there were more instances.

The Australian cricket fans have been great though, they wont just let them get away with saying sorry and sweeping it under the carpet so quickly. They will want more answers and I suspect their "forgiveness" will depend on whether they get those answers.

I agree with the rest of it but I'm not so sure about the fans, I think the massive lacrimal outpourings will fool a lot of them.

Warner raised more questions than he gave answers for sure. 

Comments from about eleven minutes are interesting https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p062wj11

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I watched the Warner interview last night. Completely fake, he isn'ttt sorry at all and he failed to answer any questions (other than repeating the same garbage). I also thought it was telling that he failed to say no-one else was involved (other than the 3 punished), and that he kept apologising for what happened in that one test. He made a point of, repeating the "Newlands test". Everyone knows which test he is talking about so why be specific? Given the video of Bancroft putting sugar in his pocket in the Ashes it wouldnt surprise me if there were more instances.

Totally agree, it looked really awkward and forced. I didn’t sense genuine remorse and seemed very different to the other two. 

Id be massively shocked if this was the first time they’ve done it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...