IGNORED

Mason Holgate

c1982

• 2 weeks later...

I get the argument about the value of experience but have no problem at all bringing in youngsters. Galloway is almost there. He'll make mistakes, and we'll groan from time to time, but I'd rather invest in him than waste money on an aging player. Browing isn't far off either, and of course we have Garbutt. Defence is not so bad, quite honestly.

Put all the money in creativity, providing the missing link in our ability to score more goals.

I just asked my mate who is a season ticket holder at Barnsley about him and this is what he replied

Steve.....don't think he's calibre of Stones but is slightly younger. Who knows kids got masses of potential but you just don't know. Stones was defo gunna be a superstar but Mason am not sure....I think 1 million is good price for both clubs and a good punt for Everton churning out another Barnsley superstar

This lad was spot on when I asked him about Stones when we signed him

I get the argument about the value of experience but have no problem at all bringing in youngsters. Galloway is almost there. He'll make mistakes, and we'll groan from time to time, but I'd rather invest in him than waste money on an aging player. Browing isn't far off either, and of course we have Garbutt. Defence is not so bad, quite honestly.

Put all the money in creativity, providing the missing link in our ability to score more goals.

I agree with the investment, but right now, with the money flowing in from the top 4-6 teams, this article is scary: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9930930/you-cant-win-anything-with-kids-premier-league-winners-rarely-feature-many-young-players

I have no problem with the tendency to develop young players into stars, but it's increasingly clear that we're becoming a farm team for any club with billionaire owners. I've only been an Everton supporter for 5 years, having no football pedigree before that in the states, but I'm becoming more and more scared that the club I've learned to bleed for will soon turn into a Barnsley type itself.

I don't think this is one of the signings Martinez was talking about. This is a player for the future and Martinez has said this himself in the press conference.

He said before that he is looking at getting 3 more players in before the transfer window shuts. This to me means another first choice backup CB (maybe Evans, even though Martinez said there was no truth in this rumour) a no.10 and a striker.

Confirmed: http://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/article/mason-holgate-signs-for-everton-2615928.aspx

Barnsley Football Club can confirm that Mason Holgate has today joined Everton on a permanent basis for an undisclosed fee.

The fee has been announced as undisclosed, but the Club can confirm that it exceeds the figure routinely reported in the press.
The Club has also negotiated to retain a significant on-going financial interest in Mason’s career moving forward.
The Club wishes Mason every success in his future career.