Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know Stek's bad but I don't fancy Holgate going in goal.

He's another one that I'd like to do well for us because he's like DCL in that he seems to love it here and be a genuine lad. Yeah, he's got a mistake in him but he's 22 and that's extremely young for

Signed new 5 year contract 👍🏻

20 hours ago, nogs said:

We shouldn't need to be thinking about turning him into a midfielder. But he proved today he is a very talented footballer the way he adapted, didn't look out of place at all. 

I completely agree with this. I still have an issue in that I don't know where I would want to play him because I don't think he is good enough at CB to play week in week out but it showed that he is smarter than he looks (and sometimes acts). I could see him becoming a bit of a Neville, covering 2 or 3 positions but not really being good enough to hold down a position in one. 

34 minutes ago, StevO said:

He offered to play midfield, love that. The team needed someone and he put his hand up. Brilliant attitude. 

Shows the character of the lad! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

i've always rated him and have been on record many times saying he would be better than stones.  the funny thing is people wanted rid of him last year and the year before.  another martinez signing that's comes good.

we don't need the keane replacement, we already have it in Mason.  Keane can be the bench guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i've always rated him and have been on record many times saying he would be better than stones.  the funny thing is people wanted rid of him last year and the year before.  another martinez signing that's comes good.

we don't need the keane replacement, we already have it in Mason.  Keane can be the bench guy.

He is nowhere near as good as Stones. 

Do you not think he just makes too many mistakes for a CB? I also think he is too weak as well. It makes up for some of that with his attitude and aggression but we saw Pukka nudge him to the ground against Norwich. If DCL came up against him he would eat Mason alive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Bailey said:

He is nowhere near as good as Stones. 

Do you not think he just makes too many mistakes for a CB? I also think he is too weak as well. It makes up for some of that with his attitude and aggression but we saw Pukka nudge him to the ground against Norwich. If DCL came up against him he would eat Mason alive. 

i don't think you're factoring stones being so brittle into it.  stones is always injured. that itself makes his value so little to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

i've always rated him and have been on record many times saying he would be better than stones.  the funny thing is people wanted rid of him last year and the year before.  another martinez signing that's comes good.

we don't need the keane replacement, we already have it in Mason.  Keane can be the bench guy.

I for one didn’t think and still don’t think he will make it in the PL as a CH, for me he’s not strong enough and gets bullied far too easy by strikers, but as a DM he looks like he may have found the perfect position for his talents. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I for one didn’t think and still don’t think he will make it in the PL as a CH, for me he’s not strong enough and gets bullied far too easy by strikers, but as a DM he looks like he may have found the perfect position for his talents. 

If that’s a taster in his first game in that postition then wow 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Shukes said:

He’s already made it as a PL centre half though. 

He has played in the PL as a CH, but I don’t think he’s made the position his own, Everton will by 1 or 2 CH in the next couple of windows and he will lose his place in the team, that is my opinion and I don’t think any manager coming in will see him as a first choice CH. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...
10 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

No no no. England call ups are always followed with a massive drop in form or injuries.

Yes yes yes, just the fact that he has been considered for the England squad will in prove his confidence no end, and we as a club will benefit from that. 
That is his reward for playing well and that it hasn’t gone unnoticed will confirm to him he’s doing the right things, I’m made up for him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

If we want to keep our best players and attract other top players we have to show that they can achieve their ambitions at this club, and that most definitely includes players getting international recognition 

 

While I understand fans' reservations about international call-ups I equally find it fucking baffling. International football is what players want, and while we can't offer European football we need our players getting international recognition especially. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pete0 said:

Apparently Michael Keane is well better and mere fans like myself know less than Marco Silva... 

I don't think it's the right time to gloat about one that you think you've got right.... Tom Davies absolutely cost us on 2 goals tonight.

Holgate has been our best defender which isn't saying much.... but why was he and Mina doing sat down behind the goal line for the second goal???? They actually watched it all happen. 

Davies missed his header and stood still instead of getting behind the ball too..

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I don't think it's the right time to gloat about one that you think you've got right.... Tom Davies absolutely cost us on 2 goals tonight.

This is the Holgate thread and a lot more players (plus the manager) to blame before Tom Davies. Said at the time £30 million for Keane was shocking when Holgate is better. Were you one of the ones to laugh? 

Fuck it I'll bite. Davies and Digne couldn't pass the ball out as no one else was showing for it. The senior players are cowards. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pete0 said:

Apparently Michael Keane is well better and mere fans like myself know less than Marco Silva... 

😂😂😏 The law of averages suggests you had to be right about one player eventually, congratulations !

Although I think everybody knew he was a good player anyway, the loan last season did his development the world of good 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't think either of him or Mina played well. They had so little to do and they both could have cost us. They both played passes that put us under pressure. Holgate was rolled easily that would have led to a good chance if it weren't for Sidibe, he was caught too far ahead of the near post for the Joelinton header (same with Haller header last week) and Lord only knows why he didn't challenge for that header at the end of the game to win it for us. 

That was far from good enough in my opinion. He is better than that (which he showed in the mid point of the game).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/01/2020 at 08:15, pete0 said:

This is the Holgate thread and a lot more players (plus the manager) to blame before Tom Davies. Said at the time £30 million for Keane was shocking when Holgate is better. Were you one of the ones to laugh? 

Fuck it I'll bite. Davies and Digne couldn't pass the ball out as no one else was showing for it. The senior players are cowards. 

I was never convinced by Keane since he got rolled so easily by lukaku when we played Burnley.  Too slow.

He did at times shoe games where you thought he had something.... but that's probably true with Davies really isn't it.

 

Here's the thing Pete.....it is possible that a players change in performances can change your opinion - you don't have to pin your colours to the mast.....  I know it can be a knock to the ego to admit a player proves you wrong but that's football.  Players improve and decline..... you don't have to make posts to fit your first opinion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I was never convinced by Keane since he got rolled so easily by lukaku when we played Burnley.  Too slow.

He did at times shoe games where you thought he had something.... but that's probably true with Davies really isn't it.

 

Here's the thing Pete.....it is possible that a players change in performances can change your opinion - you don't have to pin your colours to the mast.....  I know it can be a knock to the ego to admit a player proves you wrong but that's football.  Players improve and decline..... you don't have to make posts to fit your first opinion. 

You were made up he came and thought he was better than Holgate. I didn't see any shouts from you last season for Holgate to come in for him. You only made the one comment but let's be honest that was more a dig at Lukaku to down play him scoring a goal. 

I changed my opinion on DCL, Koeman saw something in him that not many of us did. 

How was Davies at fault for both goals? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StevO said:

Keane was the better player last season. No one was calling for the club to bring Holgate back from loan to go into the first team. Holgate has now improved way beyond anything he has ever done for us before, and hopefully he continues. 

Holgate was our best defender under Koeman out of Williams, Jagielka and Keane. Got injured and was then never given a chance by Silva. Keane was average at best last year and should have been dropped which me and MJB were saying (I actually said he shouldn't have been bought in the first place). Whilst the majority of shirt memoried Evertonian were saying to sell him to the championship he's not good enough. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Holgate was our best defender under Koeman out of Williams, Jagielka and Keane. Got injured and was then never given a chance by Silva. Keane was average at best last year and should have been dropped which me and MJB were saying (I actually said he shouldn't have been bought in the first place). Whilst the majority of shirt memoried Evertonian were saying to sell him to the championship he's not good enough. 

he was excellent under koeman. i was surprised he was sent on loan i thought he was going to be our starting CB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He wasn’t starting regularly for Koeman, so he didn’t think he was up to much back then. 
The lad has always had potential, but he’s never played at this level of his ability before now. 
 

Only Pete could turn a topic about how one of our players has been playing so well into an argument. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, StevO said:

He wasn’t starting regularly for Koeman, so he didn’t think he was up to much back then. 
The lad has always had potential, but he’s never played at this level of his ability before now. 
 

Only Pete could turn a topic about how one of our players has been playing so well into an argument. 

To be fair, not only Pete...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...