IGNORED

Tom Davies

Gans is far from a headless chicken, he reads the game superbly.

Yeh ok that is being unfair but what I mean is that they are almost going from one tackle to the next, they don't have any real control on the game. Besic is definitely a headless chicken because he sees the ball and goes for it regardless of anything else, and neither Gana or Davies are like that but they are asked to be all action in the middle and not run the game like Barry could.

So what about Davies (and Calvert-Lewis) of late has altered for them to be involved, I mean, McCarthy was out earlier in the season so it's not his recent injury that has made way.....

I think it's the slow realisation that he needs energy in the middle of the park rather than overall ability. If you play long ball, you don't need quality in midfield, just hard working ball winners jumping on the second ball.

I think it's the slow realisation that he needs energy in the middle of the park rather than overall ability. If you play long ball, you don't need quality in midfield, just hard working ball winners jumping on the second ball.

That and the old guard weren't doing it for him.

Oh dear, not another pig-thick mug that can't see the wood for the trees. (Only joking Ron mate, kick clown-shoes in the balls for me though)

I think also he and gana make forward runs which mean both Rom and Ross are finding more space. Tom's that good balance of energy and ability on the ball. He's only

Going to get better. I hope we sign another CM before city though because we are short at the moment without Gana, Jmac and Besic.

He looked lively but must agree with he was okay rather than star of the show. He does give it away a fair bit and could be exposed - he gets a free pass because of his age off our crowd, when Barkley does it it's all moans and groans. I think it was the perfect game for Davies today against a very tired Southampton. He needs easing in but there's certainly a very bright future for this lad.

Bingo!

Was happy with Davies' performance today but let's not kid ourselves. He's a prospect for the future and fans clamouring for him to start is damning of the squad.

We need to bring in quality players in the midfield. We need players who can make their mark on a game, command possession, win challenges and spray the ball about.

That's not to say that Davies isn't going to be a good player but that we are relying on a youth prospect because we have nobody else.

Only because we have no one else who plays the way we need our midfielders to which is the difference. McCarthy and probably Besic would normally be ahead of him but with their injuries and the limited mobility or Barry he is next in line.

Only because we have no one else who plays the way we need our midfielders to which is the difference. McCarthy and probably Besic would normally be ahead of him but with their injuries and the limited mobility or Barry he is next in line.

Bes out all season, McCarthy out 95% of theseason so far. Labour the point but why suddenly now?

No ones kidding their selves.

He started and didn't look out of place.

Is he the answer? Course not, but he made a difference in the current squad and is good enough and ready for starting....as he himself proved.

We can argue all the becauses in the world, doesn't alter the fact that he started and performed.

• 2 weeks later...

He is doing everything he should be doing whilst Gueye is away on international duty but I fully expect Gueye to find himself back in the first XI upon his return.

Schneiderlin too, when fully up to speed, will get in ahead of him so unfortunately he will go back on the bench and make cameo appearances.

He's progressing very nicely though and certainly will keep the others on their toes. It's no surprise McCarthy is rumoured to be on the way out. Davies looks ahead of him in the pecking order right now.

i don't believe for a moment we will get rid of McCarthy. It's just fine to have competition in midfield. It's where games are won and lost.

Yeah, but we have too many central midfielders. Barry, McCarthy, Besic, Schneiderlin, Gana, Davies, Barkley and .... Gibson? And we still have Cleverly on permanent. I guess Koeman wants to keep him, but McCarthy himself said that he wants to play regularly. Something that can't happen obviously, so he better go. I hope we get some reasonable cash for him.

Edited by Haiku

Yeah, but we have too many central midfielders. Barry, McCarthy, Besic, Schneiderlin, Gana, Davies, Barkley and .... Gibson? And we still have Cleverly on permanent. I guess Koeman wants to keep him, but McCarthy himself said that he wants to play regularly. Something that can't happen obviously, so he better go. I hope we get some reasonable cash for him.

We never had enough last week. Competition is good, just hope the manager picks in form and tactically rather than a pecking order.

Found out yesterday he went to the secondary school I went to (West Derby Comp.) which would make him one of, if not the first big named footballer to be a former pupil of there which is great seeing as the Catholic equivalent (and direct rivals!) of that school is Cardel Heenan which produced a lot of former footballers including Gerrard, Hibbo and Nugent.