IGNORED

Anwar El Ghazi

5 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

And he apparently doesn’t want El Ghazi. 

If this is true, we're in an even bigger shitstorm than we thought. We get rid of the DoF so the manager has more influence on the transfers and team building, only for the owner to go above the managers head and bring in someone he doesn't want, purely as a friendly gesture to another billionaire

26 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Normally I'm the first one to vote against stop-gap options that don't appear to have any strategy behind them, however this will keep Iwobi further from the team so I'm absolutely elated. 

Sometimes stop gaps are necessary. I think far more is being made of this than should be. In this window there aren’t likely to be many available options. I’ve heard that he’s a guy who plays “in the hole” as opposed to a winger so for the sake of argument let’s assume that’s true. It’s absolutely a position of need for us. No, he may not be a longterm solution but a 6 month loan on middling wages is not going to effect our fortunes one way or another. 

The greater concern is over who is ultimately pulling the trigger on these moves but as all we have to go on is unsupported speculation I don’t think there is much gain in getting riled up over that just yet. 

22 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

If this is true, we're in an even bigger shitstorm than we thought. We get rid of the DoF so the manager has more influence on the transfers and team building, only for the owner to go above the managers head and bring in someone he doesn't want, purely as a friendly gesture to another billionaire

It’s Everton, I almost expect these things now :lol:.

1 minute ago, RuffRob said:

On loan with no obligation to buy. £30K a week wages, can player right across the front. An instant upgrade to Iwobi as can deliver a final ball and does put the ball in the back of the net- fairly regular.  Defiantly a good squad player so decent cover. 

He’s not a player I’d of thought to bring in but on that basis it’s a yes if it keeps Iwobi out of the way. Any thoughts on Gray being in front of Allan and  Doucoure and El Ghazi on the wing?

I do think he has a knack of getting in goal scoring positions. I am not sure about his finishing but whenever I have seen Villa play he has had a good chance.

He can dribble and he has a bit more pace than I thought too. He actually looks to be able to pick out a player with a cross but I wouldn't call him creative. I still see him as a Richarlison type player that plays very directly. 

I am not sure where that leaves our squad because when everyone is fit we have the following players for 3 positions:

CF: Dom / Rondon / Cenk / Simms / Dobbin

Wing: Richie / Gray / Townsend / Gordon / Iwobi. 

It just feels like a strange signing to be bringing in at this moment in time. I don't think we lack attacking players and it just seems like a waste of resource especially when we have a full squad.

12 hours ago, Bailey said:

It just feels like a strange signing to be bringing in at this moment in time. I don't think we lack attacking players and it just seems like a waste of resource especially when we have a full squad.

Like you mentioned he's direct. Maybe Rafa believes he will suit his style of play. Like someone mentioned before, Gray could be moved into the middle which would only leave Richy, Gordon, Townsend and Iwobi for the wide spots. Let's face it, Iwobi is useless and the less we see of him the better. Townsend is more of a squad player and Gordon is still learning the game. I don't know much about his game, but I'm all for reinforcing this area of the team with a player that suits Rafas style. I think Rafa sees his front 3 or 4 as the most important players in the team.

2 hours ago, Aidan said:

Like someone mentioned before, Gray could be moved into the middle which would only leave Richy, Gordon, Townsend and Iwobi for the wide spots.

Gray in the middle would be great. He could play as a 10 or an advanced 8, maybe? At the moment, he is the only player in the squad who has the speed of thought and technique to open things up in the middle. If that came off, we could have Richalison playing to his strengths off the left and Gordon / El Ghazi coming in off the other side. Just gives us more options. Would be a Benitez masterstroke if this came off. The general direction of transfers is very encouraging at the moment.