IGNORED

Jonjoe Kenny

1 hour ago, nogs said:

Bet a couple of others, Dowell and Williams especially, are wondering if they should have taken loan moves now. We could have done with the six goals Dowell has scored for Forest for definite. 

Forest are not City, Chelsea, United, Lyon, Atlanta, Spurs, Arsenal et al. 

• 4 weeks later...

Massive, massive fan of this lad. He improves with every single game he plays. 

I know he's made a few errors defensively but his defending is tremendous most of the time. Not the quickest but he's good at recovering to make a tackle.

It's also been noticeable to me in the past two games when we've had a lead that he's been willing to attack more, and he's looked very handy in that respect too.

I wish Koeman had started the season with him so he'd be even further along at this point.

He has looked great and I am encouraged that Sam has payed tribute to our youngsters.

Players like Kenny, Holgate, Davies, and DCL have played a major role in our last 2 wins and NEED to be playing football to keep their development going .

With Lookman and Vlasic in the matchday squads we have a great core of very talented young players that we must develop properly. 

29 minutes ago, London Blue said:

He has looked great and I am encouraged that Sam has payed tribute to our youngsters.

Players like Kenny, Holgate, Davies, and DCL have played a major role in our last 2 wins and NEED to be playing football to keep their development going .

With Lookman and Vlasic in the matchday squads we have a great core of very talented young players that we must develop properly. 

Find it odd that you say 'we must develop these players properly' yet a few posts earlier implied Dowell shouldn't get a look in yet even though he's done really well at Forest. Would you now be happy for Kenny to be sent out on loan when Coleman is fit, or DCL and Davies to be sent out if we bought a striker and CM in January? Because to me it's all about progression - if someone like Kenny comes in because of injury and does well, they have proved they deserve a place in the senior side. Equally if you have a lad like Dowell who won an U20 WC medal with Kenny, DCL and Lookman and has done very well in the Championship, the management have to be thinking 'how can we give him a chance next?' I think as a club we let too many promising youngsters leave too early because they don't see a realistic chance of first team football. I'm hoping this current crop turns that round, but it all depends on how important Allardyce sees it. 

59 minutes ago, nogs said:

Find it odd that you say 'we must develop these players properly' yet a few posts earlier implied Dowell shouldn't get a look in yet even though he's done really well at Forest. Would you now be happy for Kenny to be sent out on loan when Coleman is fit, or DCL and Davies to be sent out if we bought a striker and CM in January? Because to me it's all about progression - if someone like Kenny comes in because of injury and does well, they have proved they deserve a place in the senior side. Equally if you have a lad like Dowell who won an U20 WC medal with Kenny, DCL and Lookman and has done very well in the Championship, the management have to be thinking 'how can we give him a chance next?' I think as a club we let too many promising youngsters leave too early because they don't see a realistic chance of first team football. I'm hoping this current crop turns that round, but it all depends on how important Allardyce sees it. 

Let me explain my thoughts, at the beginning of the season Dowell was not yet ready for the premier league, he has so much skill and ability but he would not have the opportunity to show that because he is not used to the physicality and speed of premier league football. By playing for a side like Forrest he can develop his football and get used to playing competitive football week in and week out so that next season he will be a option for us. I agree if he had been sent out to a club where he would just be on the bench and not used like Galloway last year it would have been damaging, but Forrest play football the right way and Dowell has been played week in week out in the right position for a team that plays good football, ironically better football than us now under Sam......

Davies, Holgate, DCL, had all played games for us last season so were blooded so to speak. With Coleman's injury and Kennys top performances in the U23's last season we had no choice but to use him.

Kenny, and Holgate provide cover and competition for us. If we sent Kenny on loan then there would be no cover for Coleman should he get injured and no competition for him to keep him on his toes. Same is true for Holgate in defense and although we have plenty of options in in midfield Davies is the only one, who is a genuine box to box midfielder. So sending any of them out on loan would be pointless.

I can see an argument for sending Lookman or Vlasic on loan as we have Bolasie coming back soon I hope. Mirallas is not fit to wear the shirt.

I agree that it is vital that Allardyce keeps using the young jewels we have.

Good post. I still think it's about opportunities though. Yeah I agree DCL and Davies got time last year in a senior side that was playing much better than this season and probably stand out as the two best prospects amongst the youngsters. But the opportunity Kenny has had shows what can be missed if younger players don't get a chance. On Dowell, I'm not sure how you can say a player isn't ready for the Prem until you play him. To make a simple comparison, Lookman scored 10 in 45 games for Charlton in League 1. Dowell has scored 6 in 16 for Forest in the Championship. That to me suggests he's worth a go in our first team. For further comparison, DCL scored no goals in 6 appearances for Sheff Utd, and 5 in 20 for Northampton in League 2. He did admittedly smash it for Stalybridge Celtic with 6 in 5 games ;)

40 minutes ago, nogs said:

Good post. I still think it's about opportunities though. Yeah I agree DCL and Davies got time last year in a senior side that was playing much better than this season and probably stand out as the two best prospects amongst the youngsters. But the opportunity Kenny has had shows what can be missed if younger players don't get a chance. On Dowell, I'm not sure how you can say a player isn't ready for the Prem until you play him. To make a simple comparison, Lookman scored 10 in 45 games for Charlton in League 1. Dowell has scored 6 in 16 for Forest in the Championship. That to me suggests he's worth a go in our first team. For further comparison, DCL scored no goals in 6 appearances for Sheff Utd, and 5 in 20 for Northampton in League 2. He did admittedly smash it for Stalybridge Celtic with 6 in 5 games ;)

You make a good point, its very hard to know when a player is ready for first team football. I would like to think the coaches thought that Dowell would benefit from regular first team football, rather than stay with us when have so many midfielders, especially no 10's.  Lookman had a season at Charlton before he joined us so he already had that education, Dowell is getting that now at Forest. 

I read the Forest forums a bit and its clear they see him as a diamond in the rough so to speak, so much ability, too good for them but he needs that experience, I think they want to adopt him he is that good. 

I was talking to a friend yesterday about DCL, he is so good technically, his first touch is very good, he is great at heading the ball, his work rate is impressive, as is his knowledge of knowing where to be to be a threat. All these skills have been developed playing in the premier league, a bonus, yet he has not scored as many goals as we would like as he has been against better defenses - a negative? I don't know. Kane was not prolific on loan and look at him now.

I don't think we had a choice we had to keep DCL as we had so few alternatives.

I guess its case by case, I am looking forward tom seeing Dowell play for us next season tho.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jamie-carragher-screaming-ex-everton-14057353

Jonjoe Kenny deserved more of a chance under Ronald Koeman, says Jamie Carragher.

The Sky Sports pundit and former Liverpool defender says he was “screaming” for the 20-year-old to be given a run of games.

You're not the only one, Jamie.