RB: Coleman, youngsters

CB: Jags, Stones, Funes Mori, Browning, Pennington

LB: Baines, Oviedo, Garbutt, Galloway

CM: Barry, McCarthy, Cleverley, Besic, youngsters

RM: Deulofeu, Lennon, McGeady

LM: Mirallas?, Dowell

AM: Barkley

ST: Lukaku, Kone, Niasse, Tarashaj, McAleny

Some glaring holes to fill for new manager. Which of the first XI is the most important to shore up this summer? Who do you want to see signed?

GK: Joel

RB: Coleman, Kenny, Connoly

CB: Jags, Stones, Funes Mori, Pennington, Galloway

LB: Baines, Oviedo, Garbutt

CM: Barry, McCarthy, Besic, Davies

RM: Deulofeu, Lennon

LM: Mirallas

AM: Barkley, Dowell, Tarashaj

ST: Lukaku

I removed Kone, Cleverley, McGeady, McAleny, Niasse, Browning, just don't think they're worth putting on the chart. I'd rather see a new signing or youngster. Also Galloway is a CB not a LB, that was just for experience. So the above is what I envision we actually have.

Need - GK, ST (2), LM, CM. That's it for me. I think some of the youngsters need to step up like Kenny/Connoly at RB, Dowell, Davies, Tarashaj at CM and all the lads at CB (pennington, galloway). So those 4 signings and a manager who's willing to play the youngsters and i think we'd at least be able to get 11th again. i imagine we could do pretty well though with that.

just curious, based on what? The feedback over here is still that he's way off Premiership standards.

From the short videos I've seen. He has pace, technique and is a good finisher. Just got a feeling

Edited by MC11

If I removed everybody i think should or will be sold or released.....

Lukaku, Stones, Niasse, Kone, Cleverly, Mc Geady, Osman, Peinaar, Hibbert, Gibson and Oviedo. That leaves...

GK: Joel

RB: Coleman, Kenny

CB: Jags, Funes Mori, Browning, Pennington

LB: Baines, Garbutt, Galloway

CM: Barry, McCarthy, Besic, Davies

RM: Deulofeu, Lennon,

LM: Mirallas?,

AM: Barkley, Dowell

ST: Tarashaj, Rodriguez, Henen

So GK/ST/LM/RM/RB all need addressing.

Rightback: Definitely cover at rightback. 100% Need this. I think Kenny would do well with a year out on loan in League 1 or the Championship. If we really think Kenny will be good enough, ideally we could bring in a veteran on a shorter-term contract who we could move on after a season or two to make way for Kenny. If we are unsure on Kenny, proper cover is needed.

Leftback: Does Oviedo need to move somewhere where he will be the #1 leftback? Is he even fit regularly enough to be considered decent cover. He's had real trouble fitness wise these past few years. Is Garbutt good enough? Is he ample cover for Baines and can we get him enough time to make him not ask for a move? I would like to see at least one of these players moved on, both if they are both deemed inadequate.

Centerback: Is Jags going to be fit enough to be worth while? Are we about to see a decline in his abilities? Also, would we part with Stones if a good offer came in? Finally, are either Galloway or Pennington good enough to step in as cover? If we have doubts about both Pennington and Galloway, we definitely need to bring in one centerback as cover. If we have doubts about Jags ability or whether Stones stays, again we need to bring someone in as cover. Ideally a a veteran who knows the PL.

Central midfield: Definitely need to do some thinking here. Is Gibson certainly moving on? What is the best path forward for Besic? Is Barry still reliable? Think we need to bring in a player or two here and really evaluate whether some of these should be moved on. What role will Cleverley have?

Wing: If Mirallas wants to stay and we are confident we can get better form out of him, I think Lennon, Mirallas, are enough with Dowell filling in when needed. If we lose MIrallas and also want a loan spell for Dowell, then a new winger is needed... And it would need to be a difference maker/first team player.

Attacking Mid: We don't need a player but it would be really nice to bring in a real star here. With that being said, Barkley could still be a real player under the right manager, right system, with confidence and we probably have too many needs elsewhere to bring anyone in here.

Center Forward: Can Tarashaj or McAleny be involved? Gut feeling is that McAleny is a Championship caliber player. No idea on Tarashaj. If so, I would love to move Kone on and bring someone else in. Probably no super star but someone who offers something more than Kone and different from Lukaku and Niasse would be nice.

Keeper: Who knows. If we don't rate Stanek, it would be great to bring in an emergency keeper. Joel hasn't convinced me, so we need to decide whether he is a #2 and that we need to bring in a superstar first choice keeper. Or, we think he could grow into being the #1 and we bring in someone who is solid, but not an outright number 1 (competition)

From the short videos I've seen. He has pace, technique and is a good finisher. Just got a feeling

Fair enough. The YouTube videos do look good, here's hoping the guys here are wrong :)

But Matt, I really want Toni Kroos. Just being honest.

Yeah, but now you've got me thinking about it too!

Massive summer here.

I want a quality keeper, think these last two seasons have shown how important a quality keeper is!

A defensive Mid who can do the job on his own, radja nainggolan is the man!

Get a silky no.10, Ross can play both deeper and rotate as the ACM.

Proper back up CF, Remy? Or as mentioned Batshuayi but he will be expensive.

Big call on CB's if jags has another year in him at the level we need.

Massive massive summer and I hope we are ambitious with who we target.

Strange for him to he so sure.

Maybe it's not just the manager but a few players that are disrupting things too.

We need a fresh start.

I wouldn't mind a complete overhaul.

I don't think it's strange he's so sure at all. We've got a fair few who are simply out of contract, and Howard is already confirmed to be going.

Osman, Hibbert, Howard, Pienaar, Gibson, McGeady, Kone all out of contract or quite likely to move on. Probably one of Garbutt/Oviedo, too.

Really up in the air, because they may be looking to greener pastures: Lukaku, Stones, Mirallas, possibly Barkley (I doubt this one, though. I think he looked broken by our supporters and our joke of a coaching staff, and will be refreshed once a new manager comes in).

We don't need a massive overhaul to our core (as long as we don't lose several of those last 4 players), but the "role players" our next manager brings in will need to be many. This is a good thing, in my opinion, as it allows our next manager to remake the supporting cast in their own image.

Osman, Hibbert, Howard, Pienaar, Gibson, McGeady, Kone all out of contract or quite likely to move on. Probably one of Garbutt/Oviedo, too.

Really up in the air, because they may be looking to greener pastures: Lukaku, Stones, Mirallas, possibly Barkley (I doubt this one, though. I think he looked broken by our supporters and our joke of a coaching staff, and will be refreshed once a new manager comes in).

We don't need a massive overhaul to our core (as long as we don't lose several of those last 4 players), but the "role players" our next manager brings in will need to be many. This is a good thing, in my opinion, as it allows our next manager to remake the supporting cast in their own image.

Don't think so. Garbutt signed a 5 year deal last summer and Bryan signed a 3.5 yr deal back in Feb.

Don't think so. Garbutt signed a 5 year deal last summer and Bryan signed a 3.5 yr deal back in Feb.

I mean that I don't see where both fit into the squad. I think we'll end up carrying one or the other. Maybe Garbutt goes back out on loan again, but I'm not sure he will want to. I don't think Oviedo wants to leave. I'm sure Garbutt would rather stay and be the primary backup/competition for Baines. But, his age and level suggests he might not be okay with being third chair.

This is all pure speculation, of course.

I mean that I don't see where both fit into the squad. I think we'll end up carrying one or the other. Maybe Garbutt goes back out on loan again, but I'm not sure he will want to. I don't think Oviedo wants to leave. I'm sure Garbutt would rather stay and be the primary backup/competition for Baines. But, his age and level suggests he might not be okay with being third chair.

This is all pure speculation, of course.

Fair enough :)

I don't think it's strange he's so sure at all. We've got a fair few who are simply out of contract, and Howard is already confirmed to be going.

agreed. as said above the Howard, osman, pienaar, hibbert, mcgeady, gibson are all gone. That's 6. Add in likely departures by Niasse, Kone, and some youngsters ala McAleny, Browning or more and look that's 10 players. Guess what? didn't really make a big impact, because most weren't playing anyways. I'm not worried in the least.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Attacking Mid: We don't need a player but it would be really nice to bring in a real star here. With that being said, Barkley could still be a real player under the right manager, right system, with confidence and we probably have too many needs elsewhere to bring anyone in here.

Get a silky no.10, Ross can play both deeper and rotate as the ACM.

Really hoping Dowell gets a shot under the new manager. Would be great to see him and Ross play together / rotate.

Ye now someone's posted the numbers it does make more sense.

Damn, hoping there was a story there.

Yeah it's easy to see how we can go into double figures. Lots of dead wood there, so I am not alarmed.

I'm sure the likes of Lukaku, Stones, Barkley will wait and see who comes in before leaving. Although I'm not too bothered about Lukaku and Stones at the moment.

In terms of deadwood, a good part of it stems from the Moyes era. We should have been more aggressive about clearing out before now.

It was his job to start sorting it. Instead he bought shite like Kone, Niasse, Mcgeady, Alcaraz etc and handed contracts out to the likes of Hibbert who hasn't kicked a ball for 2 years and more than likely never will for us again.

It turns out this might well be an issue. Regarding a Brexit, "332 European players currently playing in the Premier League, Championship and Scottish Premiership would fail to meet the non-EU criteria if the UK broke away from the bloc. More than 100 Premier League players would be affected." Although my guess is this message is, in part, scare tactics.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/premier-league/70125/eu-referendum-would-brexit-destroy-the-premier-league