Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, rubecula said:

just a quick question to the remain voters (honest question honest answers please)

who transferred money from pounds to euros and back into pounds to make money?  and id it work for you or did you lose out?

I never didn't even consider it why do you ask that question.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I never didn't even consider it why do you ask that question.

I voted to leave and I have had a lot of stick for it,  somebody told me I was wrong because the country was dying financially, and we were in the shit.  I just wanted to know if this was true and this is te first way to find out how bad we are off.

14 hours ago, rubecula said:

who transferred money from pounds to euros and back into pounds to make money?  and id it work for you or did you lose out?

I don't remember who it was, but one of the financial backers of Vote Leave made money by betting on a sharp drop in the value of the pound after June 23rd.     I think his name was Crispin Odey.

It's interesting to see what a lot of these Brexiteers think the financial consequences of Brexit will be by looking at what they do with their own money or what advice they give to their clients.  (See John Redwood, etc).  I'm not saying they don't think the financial hit is worth it  (probably because they can stomach it).  The point is they're lying to you because they know a lot of people voted brexit thinking it was the financially safer choice.

Look at Mike's link.  HMRC says the governments preferred customs plan will cost the UK economy 20 billion every year.  Roughly comes down to 350 million a week.   I'm betting leaving the Single Market will be a much bigger hit than 20 billion a year.

2 hours ago, holystove said:

I don't remember who it was, but one of the financial backers of Vote Leave made money by betting on a sharp drop in the value of the pound after June 23rd.     I think his name was Crispin Odey.

It's interesting to see what a lot of these Brexiteers think the financial consequences of Brexit will be by looking at what they do with their own money or what advice they give to their clients.  (See John Redwood, etc).  I'm not saying they don't think the financial hit is worth it  (probably because they can stomach it).  The point is they're lying to you because they know a lot of people voted brexit thinking it was the financially safer choice.

Look at Mike's link.  HMRC says the governments preferred customs plan will cost the UK economy 20 billion every year.  Roughly comes down to 350 million a week.   I'm betting leaving the Single Market will be a much bigger hit than 20 billion a year.

I always thought you were lying about this Brexit stuff and now I have the evidence... there is no way anyone can be called Crispin Odey 😂

15 hours ago, MikeO said:

I somewhat doubt your average TT member is a currency trader, and even if they were they're just as likely to speculate with US dollars or Japanese Yen. I don't see the connection between how you voted and international finance knowledge.

Meanwhile, those who know a bit more than me....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44229606

if  people are confident that staying in is better than leaving they would change currency back and forth to get something out of the deal, if they are not confident then they would not.  hence the bit at the end of my previous statement.

14 minutes ago, rubecula said:

if  people are confident that staying in is better than leaving they would change currency back and forth to get something out of the deal, if they are not confident then they would not.  hence the bit at the end of my previous statement.

I would but all my money's been done in the last 18 months due to the out vote😁.

In all honesty my shares and pensions have been booming, I'm starting to consider selling and freezing my pensions to protect myself from the inevitable recession.

49 minutes ago, rubecula said:

You're assuming TT members have the vast sums in the bank that you'd need to make the exercise worthwhile and be daily financial times readers. I am actually lucky enough to have a decent lump in the bank due to an inheritance (as you know) but there's no way I'd gamble it on financial markets. Even the "experts" act on educated guesswork so anyone dabbling in the way you suggest would be certifiably insane.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

You're assuming TT members have the vast sums in the bank that you'd need to make the exercise worthwhile and be daily financial times readers. I am actually lucky enough to have a decent lump in the bank due to an inheritance (as you know) but there's no way I'd gamble it on financial markets. Even the "experts" act on educated guesswork so anyone dabbling in the way you suggest would be certifiably insane.

You can find a multitude of companies who in vest your money on Fed Ex money markets, looked at it but never taken a punt.

But some big players have made millions if not billions by predicting a slump on the £ which have been well documented, it's basically been a run of the Bank of England and cost the country billions.

33 minutes ago, Palfy said:

You can find a multitude of companies who in vest your money on Fed Ex money markets, looked at it but never taken a punt.

I've looked at these https://www.nutmeg.com/ but likewise not the bottle to risk it; getting a pathetic 1.04% return at the moment but it's about the best I can find for instant unlimited access. Pension funds are another head fuck knowing what to do with them:unsure:.

Free advice to all the younger members on here, even if you're only 18 start a fund: I know retirement seems a million miles away but you'll be there in the blink of an eye. You want to live well in your dotage (and you will do)? Get sorted!

40 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I've looked at these https://www.nutmeg.com/ but likewise not the bottle to risk it; getting a pathetic 1.04% return at the moment but it's about the best I can find for instant unlimited access. Pension funds are another head fuck knowing what to do with them:unsure:.

Free advice to all the younger members on here, even if you're only 18 start a fund: I know retirement seems a million miles away but you'll be there in the blink of an eye. You want to live well in your dotage (and you will do)? Get sorted!

Great advice Mike when they come to retire it will be in the seventies and the government will not be in a position to pick up the tab.

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

You can invest in low-risk equities.  You may see 'steady' rather than 'meteoric' growth, but your investment is reasonably safe. The key is, to spend some time keeping abreast of market conditions.  The 'disclaimer' tells the story.  Shares can go down as well as up.  I have a private pension fund,  all invested in low risk equities and managed by a good outfit. On two occasions I have transferred the total fund out of equities and into cash.  On both occasions I was fortunate to read the market correctly eg sold at 5 quid moved back in and bought at 3 quid.  These two moves almost doubled the fund with no risk.  Currently, I am in cash for the third time.

15 minutes ago, rubecula said:

my company pension will be less than  100 quid a month when I am 66  so I may take a lump sum  but not got a clue what to do with it

Take the lump sum and hide it under your bed Rubes, when you hit retirement you'll get benefits but if you have £100 a month coming in you'll get £100 less from the government. Small pensions (which is what I predominantly have) are worthless because you lose as much as you gain.

Cash it in and enjoy it would be my advice.

7 hours ago, rubecula said:

Well even the brexiteers are doing (something like) that .. https://www.forbes.com/sites/francescoppola/2017/11/12/british-lawmaker-advises-investors-to-take-their-money-out-of-the-uk/amp/

The official term is 'disaster capitalism' .

3 hours ago, rubecula said:

my company pension will be less than  100 quid a month when I am 66  so I may take a lump sum  but not got a clue what to do with it

Take the whole amount pay the tax and don't put it all in the Bank, I'm not sure what you are allowed to have in savings before it affects you making a full social claim I believe it's somewhere in the region of 9k, Mike is right a small company pension isn'tt worth keeping it can actually make you worse off than not having one.

12 hours ago, Palfy said:

I'm not sure what you are allowed to have in savings before it affects you making a full social claim I believe it's somewhere in the region of 9k,

It's on a sliding scale between 8 & 16k. Between those two you can make a partial claim but once you're below 8 you qualify for the full amount.

Fortunate to be part of the Railway pension scheme which in the realms of the average working man is not to be sniffed at 

Also put a small amount a month into BRASS which is a voluntary tax free investment scheme opted for low risk and will ramp it up as the years pass 

Ten years in at 33 hopefully another 22 and I'm out, max lump sum with a reduced monthly pension.....boats and hoes 😁 

18 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

Fortunate to be part of the Railway pension scheme which in the realms of the average working man is not to be sniffed at 

Also put a small amount a month into BRASS which is a voluntary tax free investment scheme opted for low risk and will ramp it up as the years pass 

Ten years in at 33 hopefully another 22 and I'm out, max lump sum with a reduced monthly pension.....boats and hoes 😁 

• Move to Thailand and live like a millionaire for the rest of your life😎🌴

3 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

If only mate 

I won't get silly money tbh but as long as my kids have a house to sell/rent and enough to help with some of today's financial obstacles I'll be a happy man 

Bugger the kids, they can look after themselves; we're going on loads of skiing holidays (spending kids inheritance):P.