Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

I think its likely that the Lords would agree to the bill eventually. You don't hear of many going through this ping pong process without going through if the Commons want it to. Just because you don't hear it, it doesnt mean it doesnt happen I suppose!

On Brexit itself I am amazed they are still pushing it through at this time. It just says to me that whatever happens it will be even more splash dash than it was going to be anywhere because they are more interested in getting it done than getting it done properly.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Jo was passionately campaigning for Britain to stay in Europe".   Oh dear oh dear, as much as I feel for the girl and her family I am disgusted that the stay in brigade, on top of all their scaremo

Best brexit-analogy thus far:   (from Twitter) Arsenal fans, disappointed by years of underperformance, lay the blame on the Premiership and vote, by a small majority, to leave it. The club manag

Someone made a comparison between UK and EU on democratic accountability:  (as far as I can tell it's accurate) In the UK, the system on the left is perceived to be democratic, the one on th

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think its likely that the Lords would agree to the bill eventually. You don't hear of many going through this ping pong process without going through if the Commons want it to. Just because you don't hear it, it doesnt mean it doesnt happen I suppose!

On Brexit itself I am amazed they are still pushing it through at this time. It just says to me that whatever happens it will be even more splash dash than it was going to be anywhere because they are more interested in getting it done than getting it done properly.

Well you leavers were never going to get what you wanted, you were always going to be in a half way house, and as remainers new it would be the shit house. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Well you leavers were never going to get what you wanted, you were always going to be in a half way house, and as remainers new it would be the shit house. 

I didnt vote leave for this reason, in that I couldn't trust the government to carry it out successfully. 

Now that more and more time has passed and a certain virus has changed a lot over the past few months I must admit that leaving the EU just doesn't seem important anymore. 

7 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I didnt vote leave for this reason, in that I couldn't trust the government to carry it out successfully. 

Now that more and more time has passed and a certain virus has changed a lot over the past few months I must admit that leaving the EU just doesn't seem important anymore. 

For me I care still as much about leaving the EU as I did when the country voted to leave, Covid hasn't diminished that in the slightest if anything it's added more to my concerns about leaving then before Covid was on the radar. 

On 10/11/2020 at 15:33, Bailey said:

Brexit happened earlier this year, it is done, the UK is a third country to the EU.  The only thing that is ending on december 31st is the transition period, during which UK was still in the Single Market and Customs Union.

The difference between no deal and the deal the UK wants is very small; in either case the disruption to trade and cooperation is going to be massive given the limited scope of the deal the UK is trying to get.  (it is funny (tragic?) when you compare this to the promises made by Leave in 2016).

Corona shock to the economy and brexit shock to the economy are very different.  For an explainer, read this from a brexiteer advisor of May:

'There is a valid question as to whether the sheer breadth and depth of the economic harm caused by the pandemic means that the impact of Brexit will be largely irrelevant. Indeed, some have argued that given many economic sectors are having to overhaul the way they operate due to COVID-19, doing so for Brexit as well reduces the additional impact.

But while there are elements of this argument which hold true, when you delve deeper, the reality is the two sets of economic impacts from Brexit and COVID-19 are more likely to compound each other than offset each other.'

https://www.politico.eu/article/brexit-coronavirus-uk-recession-economy-there-is-no-hiding/

Brace for 2021..

Sorry to harp on about this but I'm getting overly annoyed with the absurdity of brexit.

This is the week we're supposed to land on a trade deal.  The deal on the table is very minimal.  Both sides will take a huge economic hit from this.  Not to speak of the damage done to judicial, police, security cooperation.  EU citizens lose the right to live and work in the UK; UK citizens lose the right to live and work in 27 EU member states, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.  Great stuff.

Meanwhile, for quite a while now, polls keep indicating UK citizens overwhelmingly think Brexit was the wrong decision.  (latest figures : 51% wrong 38% right -  it's not even close .. https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/in-highsight-do-you-think-britain-was-right-or-wrong-to-vote-to-leave-the-eu/).  

I guarantee you the next ten years of UK-EU relations will be spend negotiating deals which will after 10 years amount to pretty much the same relationship the EU and UK had before Brexit.  As logic and common sense demand you cooperate with your close and important neighbour. 

The futility of it all..

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, pete0 said:

“There is no plan for no deal because we're going to get a great deal.” (Boris Johnson, 11 July 2017)

Nothing to worry about then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45112872

It's important to remember that the WTO's "most favoured nation" rules limit room for manoeuvre in the event of no deal. 

The UK couldn't for example lower tariffs for the EU alone, in order to keep trade going. It would have to treat the rest of the world in the same way, which could lead to cheap imports flooding the UK economy, and harming domestic businesses.

I mean, of course it’ll hit the domestic businesses the most. Best of all, no one will be able to blame the EU :lol: the irony is just hilarious 

The delays at the ports are starting to impact businesses already, even companies the size of Honda with their wealth have had to shut there factory in Swindon because there parts are being held up at the ports, when the no deal which over 4 years ago was oven ready becomes official and the EU flex there muscles, tens of thousands are going to be in real peril of losing their jobs. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55286439

didn’t think the military would get involved this quickly :rolleyes:

"A major sticking point in negotiations has been access to UK fishing waters, with the EU warning that without access to UK waters for its fleets, UK fishermen will no longer get special access to EU markets to sell their goods."

So we want to leave the EU (we have), chuck Johnny Foreigner out of our fishing waters (Yay, Rule Britannia!) but still have preferential access to EU fish markets? Sounds fair:huh:. Bloody EU being totally unreasonble in the negotiations again:shakingfist:

• 2 weeks later...

now that this saga is "over" in a sense, i'd be interested to hear what people think of the deal.   i get that remainers will be upset with it, it's not as good as being in the EU.  i'm more looking for Brexiteers, does the deal satisfy your vote?  

i'm not on the wind up, just an american who's curious to see what people think

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

now that this saga is "over" in a sense, i'd be interested to hear what people think of the deal.   i get that remainers will be upset with it, it's not as good as being in the EU.  i'm more looking for Brexiteers, does the deal satisfy your vote?  

i'm not on the wind up, just an american who's curious to see what people think

If you're still on the board in 20 years' time, we may have a clearer picture for you, Mark. I don't think it will be 'over' for a good long while. Left and Right will be disseminating the 2000 pages and spinning it whichever way they want. The saddest part is the animus that has arisen from it (the conflict on the forum a stark microcosm of that). I don't think there can be any satisfaction derived from that. 

42 minutes ago, Formby said:

If you're still on the board in 20 years' time, we may have a clearer picture for you, Mark. I don't think it will be 'over' for a good long while. Left and Right will be disseminating the 2000 pages and spinning it whichever way they want. The saddest part is the animus that has arisen from it (the conflict on the forum a stark microcosm of that). I don't think there can be any satisfaction derived from that. 

great points.  one has to wonder how long till a party floats "we'll rejoin the EU" as a bid to win votes.  i'm sure that would be a fun one to takes guesses/bets on.

7 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

great points.  one has to wonder how long till a party floats "we'll rejoin the EU" as a bid to win votes.  i'm sure that would be a fun one to takes guesses/bets on.

Within 5-10 years I reckon, but even if the public get behind it, it’ll be even harder to get back in. 

23 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

The stuff I’ve read (American bias) says both the uk and eu will suffer, uk to suffer more.  Do you think the EU will rebound quicker than the UK?

We will suffer more financially than the EU countries, and our human rights will be massively eroded the EU did a lot of could things to improve welfare and life of people under it’s umbrella, the Tories are already planning to rip a lot of the rights gained by British citizens through EU laws as a way of saving money. 

On 24/12/2020 at 22:50, markjazzbassist said:

The stuff I’ve read (American bias) says both the uk and eu will suffer, uk to suffer more.  Do you think the EU will rebound quicker than the UK?

It all depends on what the respective countries decide to do. Both have the opportunity to flourish, both could easily tank with some bad decisions. Its not like either side was doing particularly well pre-covid. 

It will be very interesting to see what comes out in the wash but like Formby says, both sides will be spinning it how they like. 

It's fucking bonkers that the country is still going to leave the EU. Vote based on lies and a deal that's worse for everyone other than the brokers millionaire chums.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/sky-news-brexit-regret-6873634

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-deal-public-approval-b1780300.html?fbclid=IwAR2lufTMxabIcHEQTsSchOqr6wsJazlNTyCVHwaXwTH4uHfHws3cwX2-ces

Was reading an article about glass eel supplier who’s business is going to the wall, he regrets voting leave saying “ if I knew my business and job would be lost I wouldn’t have voted leave” with a warning be careful what you wish for. I think a lot of people on here could have told him what he was Letting himself in for, I’m sorry his business is going to the wall but I have zero sympathy for him and anyone who suffers that voted leave, my compassion and sympathy goes to everyone who voted remain but will suffer because of the actions of the  gullible fools who believed the clowns that run the leave campaign. 

20 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I’ve been thinking of him and Rubes for a few months now, Cornish may know how John is doing, not sure if anyone has contact with Rubes. 
Do any of the mods have any news. 

Not heard anything. I have email addresses for the two of them though so I could try contacting that way.

8 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Not heard anything. I have email addresses for the two of them though so I could try contacting that way.

It would be nice to know if they are doing alright they are  both valued members with great stories of bygone years. 
I’m sure most of us are concerned at their lack of activity and would like to know how they are doing, without being to intrusive of course, but because they’ve touched us and we care for them. 

I just think in current climate it would be nice to let some know we are thinking of them etc, who knows what sort of things could be going on with c19 and lockdown and life in general.

Some really good eggs like tubes and John, paddock etc who we haven't heard from in a while. 

59 minutes ago, Matt said:

Tarring everyone with the same brush again? For all you know that guy voted remain!  

it's funny matt, the uk voted leave, and now are mad stuff like this was happening.  as if they didn't think the EU would be petulant about them going.  of course they would.  if it was a whole shipment of meat you get it, but the sandwich?  they were just fucking with them to prove a point, get a headline, and insult the uk some more.  i think its hilarious.  you reap what you sow.  brexiteers eat your hearts out 

lighten up, i laugh at the US stuff like this as well.  it's messed up, no doubt, but some of it is so ironic/comical you just have to laugh.  i laugh everytime a repub congress/senator gets covid from not wearing a mask.  i also laugh when i see those same no mask people getting a vaccine.  it's political theatre, enjoy the show

19 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

it's funny matt, the uk voted leave, and now are mad stuff like this was happening.  as if they didn't think the EU would be petulant about them going.  of course they would.  if it was a whole shipment of meat you get it, but the sandwich?  they were just fucking with them to prove a point, get a headline, and insult the uk some more.  i think its hilarious.  you reap what you sow.  brexiteers eat your hearts out 

lighten up, i laugh at the US stuff like this as well.  it's messed up, no doubt, but some of it is so ironic/comical you just have to laugh.  i laugh everytime a repub congress/senator gets covid from not wearing a mask.  i also laugh when i see those same no mask people getting a vaccine.  it's political theatre, enjoy the show

The UK never. The whole of Scotland voted to remain. Unfortunately the racists and idiots in England and Wales outnumbered them.

On 12/01/2021 at 15:30, pete0 said:

The UK never. The whole of Scotland voted to remain. Unfortunately the racists and idiots in England and Wales outnumbered them.

If the whole of Scotland had indeed voted to remain, the referendum result would have swung the other way! 38% of Scotland voted to leave (1,018,322) so there were, in fact, more leavers there than in Wales (854,572). London could feel equally aggrieved as 59.9% wanted to remain. There was also a national turnout of only 72.2%. The 27.8% could have swung it for remain.  

2 minutes ago, Formby said:

If the whole of Scotland had indeed voted to remain, the referendum result would have swung the other way! 38% of Scotland voted to leave (1,018,322) so there were, in fact, more leavers there than in Wales (854,572). London could feel equally aggrieved as 59.9% wanted to remain. here was also a national turnout of only 72.2%. The 27.8% could have swung it for remain.  

while every council in Scotland saw Remain majorities

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/eu_referendum/results

How could Scotland have done anymore?

8 hours ago, pete0 said:

while every council in Scotland saw Remain majorities

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/eu_referendum/results

How could Scotland have done anymore?

Not much! I was merely drawing attention to the fact that there were many leavers up there, too, and that, in a system where each vote counts, that was as decisive as leavers in Wales and England. London, as I said, can feel equally aggrieved - and probably does!

22 minutes ago, Formby said:

Not much! I was merely drawing attention to the fact that there were many leavers up there, too, and that, in a system where each vote counts, that was as decisive as leavers in Wales and England. London, as I said, can feel equally aggrieved - and probably does!

You said if the whole of Scotland voted remain it could have swung it. Yet every council did vote remain. Every single one. The whole of Scotland. 

You vote brexit by any chance? 

12 minutes ago, pete0 said:

You said if the whole of Scotland voted remain it could have swung it. Yet every council did vote remain. Every single one. The whole of Scotland. 

You vote brexit by any chance? 

Wordplay Pete. @Formby is right in saying that if the whole of the Scotland vote (2,679,513) had been for remain remain would have won; it was decided on individual votes so which way any council or constituency voted was irrelevant.