IGNORED

Euro Cryptic

Lowensda

Very clever... I was going down completely the wrong avenue on that one!

Used to be a big cryptic crossword fan, won (twice) the Independent Saturday magazine crossword prize, which was a bottle of very expensive olive oil (or Champagne if you preferred). Read books on it, "deciphering" is about as plain an anagram indicator as you can get, annoyed with myself for not getting it. Although it was number five it was the most obvious one for me, my brain just doesn't work so well these days; use it or lose it.

Nice one anyway J.

Used to be a big cryptic crossword fan, won (twice) the Independent Saturday magazine crossword prize, which was a bottle of very expensive olive oil (or Champagne if you preferred). Read books on it, "deciphering" is about as plain an anagram indicator as you can get, annoyed with myself for not getting it. Although it was number five it was the most obvious one for me, my brain just doesn't work so well these days; use it or lose it.

Nice one anyway J.

I was going down the route of Arnold Answer or Steve Solution!

I was going down the route of Arnold Answer or Steve Solution!

Both good players!

...and congratulations on your past crosswording successes Mike!

It was many years ago now, cryptic stuff isn't actually that difficult once you learn how to read the clues. Guardian was always the most difficult, much harder than The Times; Telegraph was/is easy-peasy. Independent mag was at times virtually impossible, sometimes they'd get no correct solutions but I got lucky a couple of times :).

Don Manley's books are the ones to read if you want to understand the theory.

Both good players!

It was many years ago now, cryptic stuff isn't actually that difficult once you learn how to read the clues. Guardian was always the most difficult, much harder than The Times; Telegraph was/is easy-peasy. Independent mag was at times virtually impossible, sometimes they'd get no correct solutions but I got lucky a couple of times :).

Don Manley's books are the ones to read if you want to understand the theory.

The best clue I ever saw was "014". 6 and 5.

Did you know that the author Colin Dexter was a crossword expert? His two main competitors for top national puzzler were actually Morse and Lewis.

We do the Telegraph cryptic crossword. Her indoors is far better than me at the cryptic clues but I usually get all the anagrams. For some reason I can see most of them fairly quickly without writing anything down. If I don't see it quickly, I write the letters in a circle with vowels and consonants mixed up. Usually I can then see it fairly quickly.

Saw the 'the algebra' almost immediately.

Edited by johnh

6. Taxi? Yes please!

7. Springbok currency for Al?

8. Mink rattlers are poo.

9. Genesis? Non!

10. Sick keeper.

The only one I can get close to, although I think it's wrong....is

7. Ireland? Iceland. Rand and Al....could sound like either depending on what strong accent you put on? I could be well out like.