IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

1 minute ago, memmaclub2 said:

He was fucking useless he gave the ball away more times than he didn't missed an open goal (although cross was offside). I have never rated him he is too workman like for me. Runs a lot puts himself about but no end product. Cenk came on and had one very good shot. I agree cenk has not been that great but if 2-3 of his chances go in then he is earning his money. DCL lumbers about like a fucking giraffe and gives away too many free kicks. I would sell him and give the chances to the better players. How for fuck sake does he get a game on the wing ahead of lookman we really are trying to ruin him.

Apart from DCL playing on the wing, which is not his fault, he is not a winger, I disagree with everything you say.

51 minutes ago, memmaclub2 said:

He was fucking useless he gave the ball away more times than he didn't missed an open goal (although cross was offside). I have never rated him he is too workman like for me. Runs a lot puts himself about but no end product. Cenk came on and had one very good shot. I agree cenk has not been that great but if 2-3 of his chances go in then he is earning his money. DCL lumbers about like a fucking giraffe and gives away too many free kicks. I would sell him and give the chances to the better players. How for fuck sake does he get a game on the wing ahead of lookman we really are trying to ruin him.

Cenk has missed several great chances in the last few games.

DCL was at full stretch for that chances that actually wasnt a chance because it was offside. 

Cenk's shot was also a pretty easy save for Cech. 

It's the age old arguement on whether finishing can be taught or not.

People refer to Kane and Henry etc, but surly they must have something inside of them to begin with!

I'm sure better decision making will come for him, and if he does start scoring then there will be less for him to prove.

On the contrary though, I'm not sure if DCL has the composure to make it as a 20 goal a season striker - but who says you need to score goals to be a top striker?

8 hours ago, Aidan said:

It's the age old arguement on whether finishing can be taught or not.

People refer to Kane and Henry etc, but surly they must have something inside of them to begin with!

I'm sure better decision making will come for him, and if he does start scoring then there will be less for him to prove.

On the contrary though, I'm not sure if DCL has the composure to make it as a 20 goal a season striker - but who says you need to score goals to be a top striker?

Yep I think better decision making, composure and confidence will all increase as he develops as a player. I would however be surprised if he does ever turn into a 20 goal a season man because as far as I am aware thats not something he has done in his career. 1 in 4 at Northampton and worse at Sheffield Utd is not something you would normally associate with a guy that is going to score 15+ a season in the Premier League, at least not consistently. 

4 hours ago, Matt said:

He has to play in a 2 up front system. If he's not going to, he's not going to develop.

I've said this previously he needs a foil 

I don't think he's close to being ready for this level tbh and no fault of his own he's been thrown in when he's not ready and it's piss poor man management tbh 

Should have been bought then loaned to a willing and decent championship side for a couple of seasons 

He has some good attributes but he'll never get that finishing touch and instinct playing against top level defender's with having little reaction time etc 

56 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

I've said this previously he needs a foil 

I don't think he's close to being ready for this level tbh and no fault of his own he's been thrown in when he's not ready and it's piss poor man management tbh 

Should have been bought then loaned to a willing and decent championship side for a couple of seasons 

He has some good attributes but he'll never get that finishing touch and instinct playing against top level defender's with having little reaction time etc 

Hopefully we can bring someone in this summer as competition for a starting place with Tosun. Someone more experienced who can hopefully hit the ground running, this could allow DCL to go on loan to a Championship club or even a newly promoted side where he can play week in week out.

8 hours ago, hafnia said:

How much would lacazette be worth now? £46m he went to arsenal for in 2017 and we signed Gylfi for the same price.

He was the striker I wanted to replace Rom.  A bit of everything and he would work brilliantly with richi and Bernard. I'm not fussed on theo if truth be told. 

Haha you’ve told us in nearly every thread your opinion on Theo. Still has a lot to offer, don’t write him off just yet 

What I don't understand about some football fans is they use age to excuse a player a bad or average game.  I could list loads of players who at 17/18 were twice 3 times the player calvert-lewin is at 21. Richardson hasn't been around the Everton set up and (Same age as DCL) and has started so well he has been our best player. Why does DCL get a free pass? owen rooney were pulling up trees at 18/19.  Tom Davies Jack Rodwell ross barkley who to differing levels have done well for Everton at younger ages than 21. 

I think you judge a player against their ability at the level they are playing. DCL is a striker so goals and assists are his currency. When you play with one up front they have to score regularly. I was never expecting to tosun to replace lukaku they are different players but tosun showed when he gets on a run he can score goals in this league I haven't see that from DCL and last season he was given the games.

If DCL is our back-up striker we need a new back up striker.

7 hours ago, memmaclub2 said:

What I don't understand about some football fans is they use age to excuse a player a bad or average game.  I could list loads of players who at 17/18 were twice 3 times the player calvert-lewin is at 21. Richardson hasn't been around the Everton set up and (Same age as DCL) and has started so well he has been our best player. Why does DCL get a free pass? owen rooney were pulling up trees at 18/19.  Tom Davies Jack Rodwell ross barkley who to differing levels have done well for Everton at younger ages than 21. 

I think you judge a player against their ability at the level they are playing. DCL is a striker so goals and assists are his currency. When you play with one up front they have to score regularly. I was never expecting to tosun to replace lukaku they are different players but tosun showed when he gets on a run he can score goals in this league I haven't see that from DCL and last season he was given the games.

If DCL is our back-up striker we need a new back up striker.

He doesn’t. That’s what this thread is all about. Some are saying they don’t rate him, some are saying they do.

Im in the camp of recognising his attributes before his weaknesses. So far this season he is one of our top scorers. He has scored from some more difficult chances than Cenk has missed, while missing some simpler chances than others have scored.

like many players, he needs refining. Take Richarlison for example, chests the ball down, great first touch to run past the defender, then another good touch to set himself up.....then hits it straight at the keeper. Walcott, great run, great first touch, hits it low for the keeper to save.  We can criticise any player if we want to. But it’s best to look at the positives and build on that.

DCL is a technically good player. Good in the air. Can take on a player. Decent speed. Good first touch. Naive finishing. 

What I mean by that is that he either hits it wide, or straight down the middle. This is a young mans strike. And unlike first touch can be taught. 

The question should be:

is he the finished product? If he is then move him on. If he isn’t, then is it worth taking the chance?

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Shukes said:

I agree, I can’t really judge him until he is up top getting chances. Still needs time, but these England games are giving him valuable experience.

Do you think the two go hand in hand? Ie is he not getting the chances because of how he plays? 

I dont really remember him missing many chances but does that mean he just isnt in the right positions or that his team mates arent finding him. Probably a bit of both.

11 hours ago, Bailey said:

Do you think the two go hand in hand? Ie is he not getting the chances because of how he plays? 

I dont really remember him missing many chances but does that mean he just isnt in the right positions or that his team mates arent finding him. Probably a bit of both.

I think it does yes.

He isn’t the type of player to make chances out of nothing, as he is more of an outlet type player. This is why I agree he needs to be with a partner up there.

Technically he is a very good player, he just needs to add goals to his game.