IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

The 06:40 from Swindon to Paddington is on the right track but is nearly always late, I personally think he has a long way to go to establish himself as a decent striker in this league and Everton. 

He has improved since last season where I felt his finishing was woeful, but I think the odds of him being our first pick striker in 18 months time are very low and we will see someone else come in..

As always the optimist Palf. 

The lad is improving all the time and I put it down to having a first class attitude. 

I said 2 years ago that he looks a proper athlete and he just needs to bulk up a bit.  His control is on point, his running very good and he gives defenders a job to do.  Made a few smart finishes this season which indicates his finishing is improving. 

Attitude is everything.  He can really go on to be a Harry Kane... I said it  while ago and I see nothing that changes that.... only reinforces it. 

11 hours ago, Bailey said:

Well taken header which is clearly his best attribute but unfortunately I still just see a lack of quality in his overall play. He certainly isnt the only player with this problem though.

What parts of his play do you see him lacking? I think he's quite a well rounded player tbh and seems to be progressing which is the biggest positive. 

43 minutes ago, hafnia said:

What parts of his play do you see him lacking? I think he's quite a well rounded player tbh and seems to be progressing which is the biggest positive. 

I think he lacks a fair bit technically, his first touch is pretty good, but his shooting technique is poor, he isnt a particularly good passer or dribbler. His anticipation is ok, but his composure is poor (with the ball at his feet at least), his decision making is OK for a young player but he does run into trouble a lot when he does dribble, his work rate is great but the quality of his movement is lacking most of the time and that links in with his vision as well.

He has huge physical attributes, probably as promising as any other striker in the league, but the rest of his game doesnt match up at this stage of his career. I dont think he has progressed a lot. He is just a bigger lad now that he was when he first came on the scene which helps him in his battles with CBs and he is playing in a side that holds more possession and therefore he will be used a lot more.

In a nutshell, he is a player that isnt going to help us unpick a defence, create a moment for himself or get into positions to score or put away chances consistently and if we want to push the big 6 clubs then we will need a lot more than that, especially if we intend on having the lion-share of possession and do more than counter attack.

6 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think he lacks a fair bit technically, his first touch is pretty good, but his shooting technique is poor, he isnt a particularly good passer or dribbler. His anticipation is ok, but his composure is poor (with the ball at his feet at least), his decision making is OK for a young player but he does run into trouble a lot when he does dribble, his work rate is great but the quality of his movement is lacking most of the time and that links in with his vision as well.

He has huge physical attributes, probably as promising as any other striker in the league, but the rest of his game doesnt match up at this stage of his career. I dont think he has progressed a lot. He is just a bigger lad now that he was when he first came on the scene which helps him in his battles with CBs and he is playing in a side that holds more possession and therefore he will be used a lot more.

In a nutshell, he is a player that isnt going to help us unpick a defence, create a moment for himself or get into positions to score or put away chances consistently and if we want to push the big 6 clubs then we will need a lot more than that, especially if we intend on having the lion-share of possession and do more than counter attack.

To make it brief he is very much in the mould of an old everton number 9.  Sharp, Gray, Ferguson.... physically strong, good in the air, prepared to engage the centre halves in a physical contest. But he has real pace,  technically his control is very good, he can pass it well enough, maybe he can't put his laces through it like Rooney or Kane but that won't impede him being a good finisher which I see is getting better all the time. 

The best attribute he has is his attitude. You see a difference in our play when he is on the pitch.... he plays like a man not a moaner

The reason I compare him to Kane is that Kane was crap at finishing when I saw him playing with the u23s and when he first broke through, but he certainly improved on it. I think DCL needs that kind of faith and patience, because all his other attributes are very good. Don’t think he’ll be a super mega star but he certainly can become a rounded player

Are we all watching the same player... or talking about the same player?

Some of his best attributes are his technical skills, and he also has a couple of tricks to his sleeve. He is better at dribbling than our wingers. 

His shooting isn’t really that far off either. It’s far from poor. He try’s to find corners, which is a better chance of scoring. Anyone can hit a ball down the middle of the goal and hope for the best.... but your not gonna score gaols like that often.

we wanted him to begin to add goals to his game, and that’s what he is doing. Long way to go sure, but like I said.... on the right path.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

The reason I compare him to Kane is that Kane was crap at finishing when I saw him playing with the u23s and when he first broke through, but he certainly improved on it. I think DCL needs that kind of faith and patience, because all his other attributes are very good. Don’t think he’ll be a super mega star but he certainly can become a rounded player

I had Kane as a good player when many thought he was garbage... not because I'm a super scout but for the same things I see in DCL. - good athlete, very hard working and dedicated and rounded.   DCL  will get an England call up before long. 

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

I had Kane as a good player when many thought he was garbage... not because I'm a super scout but for the same things I see in DCL. - good athlete, very hard working and dedicated and rounded.   DCL  will get an England call up before long. 

I didn’t see anything in him in that u23 tournament, other than someone who missed open goals and one on ones. Proven very wrong and hopefully my initial doubts will also be proven wrong 

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

I didn’t see anything in him in that u23 tournament, other than someone who missed open goals and one on ones. Proven very wrong and hopefully my initial doubts will also be proven wrong 

I just seen a very hungry determined player.  Good build, intelligent, it's like Henry.... unreal talent and athleticism but he wasn't a finisher till he applied himself to it.   Huge intellect football wise helped him. 

4 minutes ago, hafnia said:

I just seen a very hungry determined player.  Good build, intelligent, it's like Henry.... unreal talent and athleticism but he wasn't a finisher till he applied himself to it.   Huge intellect football wise helped him. 

If he’s half the player Henry was, we’ll be set!

Come on now, his shooting and expecially his technique in doing so is poor. He scuffs as many as he catches cleanly. He has scored more goals with his head than he has scored with his feet. 

His attitude is first class, he certainly isnt a bad player but we need more than that if we want to challenge the top 6.

Without doubt though, I hope he proves me wrong and scores plenty of goals for this club and lifts a trophy.

10 minutes ago, Palfy said:

He did well today but when you get a free header from about 7yards you need to bury it or at least get it on target.

I wouldn't call that a free header he had to out jump their defender who he left for dead. It wasn't a good enough connection no but why do we have to focus on the negatives all the time? His ability to win the ball in the air made our goal, headed that one down and goal wards and forced the error that let Richarlison score. I thought his all round link up play was excellent today, he ran tirelessly, showed excellent technique bringing long balls under control and good awareness bringing team mates into the game. 

1 minute ago, nogs said:

I wouldn't call that a free header he had to out jump their defender who he left for dead. It wasn't a good enough connection no but why do we have to focus on the negatives all the time? His ability to win the ball in the air made our goal, headed that one down and goal wards and forced the error that let Richarlison score. I thought his all round link up play was excellent today, he ran tirelessly, showed excellent technique bringing long balls under control and good awareness bringing team mates into the game. 

I agree with your point that getting the ball on target created our first goal, that's why he needed to get the first on target you don't always get a second chance to atone for a bad miss he needs to be much more clinical in front of goal if he's ever to realise his dream of being one of the best strikers in the country.

If technique is questioned then people need to look at him cheating the ball down and catching to cleanly on the floor while under pressure. 

Thats technique. Control is probably the most important technique a professional footballer can have, and today he showed he can do it well. He now needs to learn to breathe when pulling the trigger.

5 hours ago, Shukes said:

If technique is questioned then people need to look at him cheating the ball down and catching to cleanly on the floor while under pressure. 

Thats technique. Control is probably the most important technique a professional footballer can have, and today he showed he can do it well. He now needs to learn to breathe when pulling the trigger.

Exactly this.

I think it will come with him, he’s snatching a few chances but key is he is now getting chances. He can hold his head for his recent performances and is a good example from the front.

I like DCL. I think he's a decent player and appreciate his hard work, but he definitely is lacking composure in front of goal. Okay, Kane is a good example of a striker who looked like a failure at one point and then turned in a great striker, but more often than not that's a one-off. I'd love to be wrong about DCL, because he has a great attitude. 

It looks like Marco is giving him the rest of the season to develop, and for me it's starting to work very well, I thought he was brilliant yesterday, led the line well, brought others in to the game, two decent efforts ( which could have been better, can't have everything ) and was the only player in the first 45 who looked like he was interested, the other 10 should be embarrassed with their own first half lack of effort.

As many have said, game time, and maybe belief in him from the manager will best out of him.

13 hours ago, Palfy said:

He did well today but when you get a free header from about 7yards you need to bury it or at least get it on target.

This is what bugs me about DCL.  Just about everything else is in there but he lacks that ruthlessness that all top strikers need.  We know he can finish with well his feet or head, but he's just as likely to completely shit the bed as he did with that header yesterday.  With the effort he puts in he'll always get at least one good chance, so if he can develop that one chance-one goal mentality he'll be amazing.

17 hours ago, sibdane said:

I like DCL. I think he's a decent player and appreciate his hard work, but he definitely is lacking composure in front of goal. Okay, Kane is a good example of a striker who looked like a failure at one point and then turned in a great striker, but more often than not that's a one-off. I'd love to be wrong about DCL, because he has a great attitude. 

I think this is the key, composure. He has demonstrated that he knows how to finish, but it’s that calm head when a chance opens up where he is struggling at the moment.