IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

5 hours ago, nutmegwolf203 said:

I was thinking the same thing

1 hour ago, Wiggytop said:

Me too 100%, I kept saying to my son after the third, it would be good for his confidence. When did Walcott last  give someone else an opportunity when he can grab the glory?, really thought he had made another mess of an opportunity with his first touch before actually finishing well.

DCL was great again yesterday, again without the goal to give him any numerical award, his header was an assist for Richarlison and he was up with Walcott for the Tap in if it came, all good signs to me. MOTD2 gave him praise also, particularly Keown.

There was also a very good interview with Dom in the Times on Saturday, he certainly is saying all the right things.

You can’t condemn Walcott for scoring because DCL isn’t its not Roy of the Rovers or fantasy football stuff, beyond belief what some people post. 

10 hours ago, barryj said:

Walcott could have helped out with that today. I was willing him to square it for DCL to tap in as his performances of late deserve a goal. 

If he would have passed it people would have questioned his desire. Theo would have needed that confidence boost too. Made up for him. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Am I really reading criticism for someone scoring a goal?!

If it was a really tough angle for Walcott or something then I'd get it, but it wasn't. The opportunity was there for him to score and it was the sort of chance he's actually quite good at taking, so he took it and slotted it home.

If it was the other way round and DCL was racing in on goal with Walcott free for a tap in, I'd have been disappointed as fuck if he'd squared it for Walcott and I'd put money on people on TT complaining that because he did that it showed he doesn't have the attacking instincts of a striker and he needs to be more selfish.

Attacking players attack. Attacking players want to score goals.

Not criticising yesterday as he scored, but how many times have we seen Walcott miss when there were better options open to him. Attacking players do need to attack,  but they also need to see the bigger picture at times, particularly if the other options offer a better chance to score.

Let's not judge his goal in isolation.... Walcott is ridiculously greedy and far from proficient enough in front of goal to warrant the decision to try and beat a world class keeper instead of passing it for a 100% certain goal..

Yes he scored...  but for me as soon as I seen him bearing on goal I thought - you have to square that. 

How many times have we seen him lash a shot from the right corner of the box this season instead of squaring it? Lots.  His decision making/greed isn'tt great.

Happy he scored but I'm sorry in another game/scenario fans would be screaming at him if de gea got his foot on that as he often does. 

15 minutes ago, StevO said:

Only Evertonians can find a way of moaning about the fourth goal we scored against Man Utd. 

No one is moaning about us scoring a goal Steve.... 

People are looking at why Walcott didn't square it...  there was a good chance de gea saves that - 60/40 in walcotts favour maybe.   Walcott squares it - it's 100% a goal.... 

It's not too difficult to comprehend.  Walcott rarely passes to someone in a better position.... he has cost us loads like that. 

I’ve watched DCL shoot in ridiculous situations when there are better options on, and he would never have squared that for another player yesterday. And I wouldn’t have wanted him to!

This moaning and questioning is entirely about it being because it was Walcott, who isn’t liked all that much (I don’t rate him highly myself), and DCL up there with him and is liked and seen as a good egg (I’m a fan too).

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

No one is moaning about us scoring a goal Steve.... 

People are looking at why Walcott didn't square it...  there was a good chance de gea saves that - 60/40 in walcotts favour maybe.   Walcott squares it - it's 100% a goal.... 

It's not too difficult to comprehend.  Walcott rarely passes to someone in a better position.... he has cost us loads like that. 

Spot on. Could have had numerous assists this season but has wrongly chose to go it alone time after time.

17 hours ago, Palfy said:

You can’t condemn Walcott for scoring because DCL isn’t its not Roy of the Rovers or fantasy football stuff, beyond belief what some people post. 

I wasn't criticizing Walcott; it was more a case of not being surprised if he had passed it. I could have seen that happening the way they were positioned.

People are missing the point - it didn't matter if it was DCL or Jags unmarked.... the smart play was to pass it - it was a certain goal.

Scoring the goal doesn't make Walcott right.... it just means he doesn't get pelters for doing something he always seems to do.... missing when someone was better placed. 

England lost a world cup semi final because Kane didn't pass it to sterling instead of trying to squeeze it home.  Those situations are a bitter pill to swallow. 

Walcott, for all his technical and physical talents, has a football brain the size of a pea and decision making to match. He probably didn’t even think about squaring it (he is a striker too, scoring is in his brief), plus he probably wanted the goal himself after so long without (I like a bit of selfishness in a striker). Might give him a bit of confidence. For me this is a non issue.

2 hours ago, hafnia said:

People are missing the point - it didn't matter if it was DCL or Jags unmarked.... the smart play was to pass it - it was a certain goal.

Scoring the goal doesn't make Walcott right.... it just means he doesn't get pelters for doing something he always seems to do.... missing when someone was better placed. 

England lost a world cup semi final because Kane didn't pass it to sterling instead of trying to squeeze it home.  Those situations are a bitter pill to swallow. 

The ball hit the back of the net. It was a certain goal. 

19 minutes ago, Btay said:

Walcott never even had a look to see if there was an option. City score so so many goals from squaring it for a tap in. End of day it went in and a goal is a goal. 

City also fuck many chances up because of people not shooting and trying to score the perfect goal.

This discussion wouldn't even be taking place if it was DCL that was the player racing in on goal and hadn't squared the ball.

17 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

City also fuck many chances up because of people not shooting and trying to score the perfect goal.

This discussion wouldn't even be taking place if it was DCL that was the player racing in on goal and hadn't squared the ball.

Respect that. Just for me, certain players have a glimpse to see if it’s on, others are eyes only for goal. No issue when they score. For the record I’ve been critical of DCL in the final third, opting to shoot when similar balls are on. 

Let's just pretend that percentage play is something that footballers are coached to do in such circumstances .....

If there was a defender on DCL or potentially able to stop the 10 yard simple ball then Walcott is absolutely good to take on the finish....  when it is 2 vs 1 on a keeper like it was you pass..... no ifs or buts. It's not even debatable. 

10 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Let's just pretend that percentage play is something that footballers are coached to do in such circumstances .....

If there was a defender on DCL or potentially able to stop the 10 yard simple ball then Walcott is absolutely good to take on the finish....  when it is 2 vs 1 on a keeper like it was you pass..... no ifs or buts. It's not even debatable. 

You’re right, it’s not debatable because he scored. Had he not, then I’d be 100% with you. But he did. 

6 minutes ago, hafnia said:

If there was a defender on DCL or potentially able to stop the 10 yard simple ball then Walcott is absolutely good to take on the finish....

There was one not far off, the square ball would've needed to be perfect weight and direction and that's not simple running flat out, personally I think he took the right option. If he'd have missed it? He didn't so I don't see the need to discuss it really.

9 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Absolutely embarrassing "debate" on here this afternoon, proper Evertonian of some people to actually get up in arms about a player having the audacity to run into the box with the ball and stick it into the back of the net. I can only imagine the the trauma and upset that has been caused by Everton comfortably beating Arsenal, Chelsea and United - fingers crossed we get battered by Palace at the weekend to put people back in a good mood. 

I suppose by the logic of some at the moment we should also be hurling abuse at Lucas Digne for shamefully volleying a ball from the outside of the box rather than looking for a pass, looking to sell Gylfi for shooting from miles out when it would have been more sensible to wait for a striker making a run and I personally don't want to hear the name Richarlison after a ridiculous bicycle kick that nine times out of ten wouldn't have worked. Unless he's dropped and improves his decision making I won't be setting foot in Goodison Park ever again. 

I don't post on here much but when I do log in there are some proper weird agendas knocking about - Liverpool and City forums will have rants about how they can win the league, United fans will be debating if Ole is the right man for the job and on ToffeeTalk there's folk booting off about us scoring. To be perfectly honest as the goal panned out in the ground I thought that Theo should have passed but fair does for putting it into the back of the net, when viewing it back on the TV he made the right choice as DCL was under pressure and probably wouldn't have got to the ball. 

If we ever win the league, I'm convinced we'd have complaints on here that Jagielka didn't hold the trophy high enough - Jesus absolute wept. 

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

2 hours ago, Matt said:

You’re right, it’s not debatable because he scored. Had he not, then I’d be 100% with you. But he did. 

So if you grabbed a dangling electricity wire without checking to see if it was switched off first - it would be the ok thing to do just cos you never got electrocuted?