IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

No I understand that Palfy. I don’t think he will be first choice next year, if we buy a top quality striker.

But I don’t think it’s a priority either. We play in the English premier league, a league where you don’t need a focal point scoring 30 goals anymore. 

If we had a striker that scored 20, at the expense of Gylfi and Richarlison... then there’s no point. But if we have a forward that contributes to the team finishing the season in top four form (which we have), then surely that’s exceptional for the club.

Now that’s not to say that we can’t have a 20 goal forward, and two other forwards mixing it in..... but again, I’m just being realistic. 

You see I don’t see it that way our recent form might suggest we are a top 4 side but the reality is we are no where near a top 4 side. 

We went into the games against Chelsea Arsenal and Utd with an underdog mentality if you like and caught them when they weren’t at their best as teams below us did, if you can’t be up for them games in front of your own supporters when can you be. 

Now the games you need to win are the ones against Fulham Palace ect and that’s when a striker who can score goals comes into their own, we saw it so often with Lukaku that we could win a game we weren’t in because he new how to turn half chances into goals because he never squandered good chances, defences feared him we need that threat again, if everyone was successful just because of hard work we would be a country of millionaires, it takes more than hard work to be a successful striker.  

It’s a good arguement and there’s been good points made on both sides. But we need a top striker regardless. Tosun isn’t going to cut at this level due to the speed of the game. It all depends on how Marco wants to set up. If DCL gets injured who we got? It’s a squad game. We get Henry a permit and sign a quality striker we are in business as far as I can see

55 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

It’s a good arguement and there’s been good points made on both sides. But we need a top striker regardless. Tosun isn’t going to cut at this level due to the speed of the game. It all depends on how Marco wants to set up. If DCL gets injured who we got? It’s a squad game. We get Henry a permit and sign a quality striker we are in business as far as I can see

When you look at it that way if we can keep Gomes and Zouma and add a couple more your right we are in business. 

23 hours ago, Palfy said:

But don’t we need a striker who can get us goals against the likes of Fulham and Palace because if we don’t we won’t move on. 

If you want to call that criticism then fair enough I’d rather call it progressively moving forward, but where all different and only time will tell but I expect to see a new man leading the the line next season, not criticising just trying to be realistic. 

I’m with Shukes. DCL coming into the team and at the same time we go on the 3rd best run (points wise) in 2019 isn’t just a coincidence. 

We need goals against those types of teams, but that’s going to be more likely with quality behind someone who can occupy their defences to create space and contest in the air. 

I don’t think we need an out and out striker, we need a David Silva 

5 hours ago, Matt said:

I’m with Shukes. DCL coming into the team and at the same time we go on the 3rd best run (points wise) in 2019 isn’t just a coincidence. 

We need goals against those types of teams, but that’s going to be more likely with quality behind someone who can occupy their defences to create space and contest in the air. 

I don’t think we need an out and out striker, we need a David Silva 

We need an Aguero. 

3 minutes ago, Palfy said:

We need an Aguero. 

We’re not going to get one. Yet. Meantime, we have a very capable, young, hardworking player in DCL (who, and I’ll happily hold my hands up, has proven me massively wrong in himself and helped define the CF / Striker differences) who has played a crucial role in our up term of form. 

Never change a winning strategy. 

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

We’re not going to get one. Yet. Meantime, we have a very capable, young, hardworking player in DCL (who, and I’ll happily hold my hands up, has proven me massively wrong in himself and helped define the CF / Striker differences) who has played a crucial role in our up term of form. 

Never change a winning strategy. 

Never change a winning strategy. I bet the top 6 all go out and buy in the summer because they know if they don’t they will go backwards, Spurs tried that last season and it didn’t work out. 

He’s not our weakest player give him ago in the MF because we can’t go through the next season with our main striker not scoring, it’s hurt us this season and will hurt us next. 

Like I said before hard work is admirable but with out the ability to turn that hard work into goals your not for filling your role, Lukaku may not have worked as hard but he worked smart and did what he was paid to do, I know what I would want if I was the manager. 

6 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Never change a winning strategy. I bet the top 6 all go out and buy in the summer because they know if they don’t they will go backwards, Spurs tried that last season and it didn’t work out. 

He’s not our weakest player give him ago in the MF because we can’t go through the next season with our main striker not scoring, it’s hurt us this season and will hurt us next. 

Like I said before hard work is admirable but with out the ability to turn that hard work into goals your not for filling your role, Lukaku may not have worked as hard but he worked smart and did what he was paid to do, I know what I would want if I was the manager. 

Rom scored goals, it was the reason I defended him despite his obvious flaws. 

DCL has created (indirectly) as well as giving the midfield time. 

Yes, the top teams will recruit but their strategy will be the same. Plus, they have the position, competitions and more money. 

Were establishing a base after years of crumbling, rocky foundations. Let’s not start kicking down what we’re building ala Koeman when we’re on to a good thing. 

To play devils advocate, only with you Matt 😉 if you were to replace one of the starting 11 who would it be? I know you like the idea of small squad changes, so I’m intrigued to see where you would put the money. 

I only want us to buy one player this summer (as well as make loans permanent) and the first one I’d replace is Dom, love the kid but I think all other positions are pretty much sown up. If we were to invest heavily in one player I’d want a striker. 

14 minutes ago, StevO said:

To play devils advocate, only with you Matt 😉 if you were to replace one of the starting 11 who would it be? I know you like the idea of small squad changes, so I’m intrigued to see where you would put the money. 

I only want us to buy one player this summer (as well as make loans permanent) and the first one I’d replace is Dom, love the kid but I think all other positions are pretty much sown up. If we were to invest heavily in one player I’d want a striker. 

no Gomes?  I understand no Zouma since we have Mina, but Gomes or a replacement would be my 1 buy.

3 minutes ago, hafnia said:

You won't know what this lad brings to the team till you play tosun or Richarlison as a striker....

In all my lukaku rants my biggest issues of him were that he can't do the unappreciated stuff which is what DCL does in abundance.  Drop deep, hold the ball, win it, press, pass..... physically engage the defenders.

It offers the attacking midfielders a platform to get forward. 

Take DCLs attributes out the team and watch the midfield fold.....

However.... if there is a hybrid striker who can give 15 goals and what DCL does I would pay £50m now...... the fact is there aren't many who do what he does...... if he develops his finishing you are talking about a player who all the best teams will be after.... I'm not talking aguero levels of finishing.... I'm talking vardy or firminho levels. 

Got to agree with this. There aren’t many strikers that does what he does. He’s more interested in the team. He’s a bit of a throwback in that respect. If we sell Tosun and niasse I would be happy with him and another striker. Look at the shite. Realistically they have Firmino and Origi but there goals come from the whole front three. I can see us adopting that method maybe that means Bernard competing for Gilfi for the number ten role? 

2 minutes ago, hafnia said:

You won't know what this lad brings to the team till you play tosun or Richarlison as a striker....

In all my lukaku rants my biggest issues of him were that he can't do the unappreciated stuff which is what DCL does in abundance.  Drop deep, hold the ball, win it, press, pass..... physically engage the defenders.

It offers the attacking midfielders a platform to get forward. 

Take DCLs attributes out the team and watch the midfield fold.....

However.... if there is a hybrid striker who can give 15 goals and what DCL does I would pay £50m now...... the fact is there aren't many who do what he does...... if he develops his finishing you are talking about a player who all the best teams will be after.... I'm not talking aguero levels of finishing.... I'm talking vardy or firminho levels. 

I’d be made up if he could finish like Vardy he’d be as good as Shearer was, but he’s showing nothing when it comes to that side of his game that shows it’s there. 

Against Burnley he did most of the work that led to Richarlison getting the assist of the own goal, what happened was they switched roles, DCL went right wing Richarlison went CF, if Richarlison stayed wide and picked the ball up I believe he could have cut in and got the ball to DCL as DCL did for him, but I don’t believe DCL could have put the strike on the ball as Richarlison did, and therefore I doubt if we would have seen a goal if DCL was in Richarlison’s position, and that’s because I have no confidence in his ability to score goals. 

I don’t think he has the confidence in his ability either I can’t see him bringing a ball down twenty five yards out and smashing it for goal. He would look to play someone in. There’s good and bad points to that but you need your striker to have a killer instinct. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

no Gomes?  I understand no Zouma since we have Mina, but Gomes or a replacement would be my 1 buy.

I said make loans permanent Mark. I’m crossing my fingers they are two positions we don’t need to look at. 

Edit, just saw Palfy’s reply. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Current starting 11? None. However, we need back up in certain positions. If we get Gomes and Zouma in, keep Gana, then the only position I’d chose is in CB. RB can wait, LB can wait, everything else is a bonus competition for a position.

Re DCL... Let’s just say that striker isn’t a worry so long as midfield contributes. Which they are currently doing. Who do I drop from the front 4? No one, so maybe a Siggy type is required for competition, a winger for Richarlison?

For what it’s worth, my defence of Rom, and subsequent debates with Haf, was that he scored and, at the time the support wasn’t up to the job. If Roms touch was as good as a priest at Easter, it wouldn’t have made a difference because wingers etc were not possible of finding the net, thus hold up, and link up, wasn’t an priority - goals were. Now, DCL is providing exactly what Haf was going on about at a time when we have actual support and, more importantly, people able to finish. 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Current starting 11? None. However, we need back up in certain positions. If we get Gomes and Zouma in, keep Gana, then the only position I’d chose is in CB. RB can wait, LB can wait, everything else is a bonus competition for a position.

Re DCL... Let’s just say that striker isn’t a worry so long as midfield contributes. Which they are currently doing. Who do I drop from the front 4? No one, so maybe a Siggy type is required for competition, a winger for Richarlison?

For what it’s worth, my defence of Rom, and subsequent debates with Haf, was that he scored and, at the time the support wasn’t up to the job. If Roms touch was as good as a priest at Easter, it wouldn’t have made a difference because wingers etc were not possible of finding the net, thus hold up, and link up, wasn’t an priority - goals were. Now, DCL is providing exactly what Haf was going on about at a time when we have actual support and, more importantly, people able to finish. 

You’d only bring in back ups and no one to better the starting 11? I get the sentiment, fair enough though. 

If we could get Bernard into double figures I think it all works. But I’d like to invest in as good a striker as we can get. If we could move on Niasse and Tosun it would be a bonus. I’d be happy with a really good striker with DCL and Richarlison in back up. 

29 minutes ago, StevO said:

You’d only bring in back ups and no one to better the starting 11? I get the sentiment, fair enough though. 

If we could get Bernard into double figures I think it all works. But I’d like to invest in as good a striker as we can get. If we could move on Niasse and Tosun it would be a bonus. I’d be happy with a really good striker with DCL and Richarlison in back up. 

It’s not a question of sentiment, it’s a question of who we can attract / who we have to improve on who’s better than what we have. Attacking wise, that we can realistically attract to join? If we keep the mid and defence, same Q applies. 

I still wouldn’t sell either Niasse or Tosun.

If we aim for striker, he better be a ducking superstar. In which case we get him for a season...

37 minutes ago, Matt said:

It’s not a question of sentiment, it’s a question of who we can attract / who we have to improve on who’s better than what we have. Attacking wise, that we can realistically attract to join? If we keep the mid and defence, same Q applies. 

I still wouldn’t sell either Niasse or Tosun.

If we aim for striker, he better be a ducking superstar. In which case we get him for a season...

I didn’t meant sentiment like that (below as I’m having copy and paste issues).

i think we need to aim to attract better, I don’t know enough players outside of the premier league to suggest anyone but I think we’ve got to try.

You really wouldn’t let Niasse go? The lad just isn’t a top level footballer. DCL is worlds ahead of him, I don’t see him ever playing for us. Sandro too, he seems to be flopping everywhere. For me Tosun needs to go for the sake of his own career.

noun
  1. 1. 
    a view or opinion that is held or expressed.

10 hours ago, StevO said:

I didn’t meant sentiment like that (below as I’m having copy and paste issues).

i think we need to aim to attract better, I don’t know enough players outside of the premier league to suggest anyone but I think we’ve got to try.

You really wouldn’t let Niasse go? The lad just isn’t a top level footballer. DCL is worlds ahead of him, I don’t see him ever playing for us. Sandro too, he seems to be flopping everywhere. For me Tosun needs to go for the sake of his own career.

noun
  1. 1. 
    a view or opinion that is held or expressed.

Much clearer :) 

no, I wouldn’t let Niasse go. He may not be the best player, but he’s scored important goals for us, is very professional and works his socks off. As a back up, that’s all I want. 

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

Much clearer :)

no, I wouldn’t let Niasse go. He may not be the best player, but he’s scored important goals for us, is very professional and works his socks off. As a back up, that’s all I want. 

But he’s rubbish at football 😂