IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

He played 11 games out of 12 and scored 2 goals at the end of the season.

Comparing the start of the season to the end of the season the amount we scored with him in the team seemed to be similar to the amount we scored with him in the side. 

Regardless of stats though, I dont see him being able to score the number of goals we will need him to if we want to get into the top 6 or top 4. He just isnt a natural finisher, he isnt creative and he can only beat a man in the air or in a foot race. Its the reason why he comes to the fore in the harder games when he has to rough up defenders and chase the through balls, as opposed to unlocking packed defences with his movement, skill and finishing.

10 minutes ago, Bailey said:

He played 11 games out of 12 and scored 2 goals at the end of the season.

Comparing the start of the season to the end of the season the amount we scored with him in the team seemed to be similar to the amount we scored with him in the side. 

Regardless of stats though, I dont see him being able to score the number of goals we will need him to if we want to get into the top 6 or top 4. He just isnt a natural finisher, he isnt creative and he can only beat a man in the air or in a foot race. Its the reason why he comes to the fore in the harder games when he has to rough up defenders and chase the through balls, as opposed to unlocking packed defences with his movement, skill and finishing.

All that occupying and hustling defenders creates space for others though, and if it leads to others scoring then his lower goal return doesn’t worry me as much.  But I’m going around in circles again :lol: 

I think the team players and individual players are staking their claim on this forum.

Matt I would like you in my starting 11 as I think you would add to the team. 

Palfy has previously stamped his mark when he explained that he was a dictator of a boss, so I’m not surprised he is more interested in the individual rather than collective.

Not sure where Bailey is going with this, think your arguing your own point about DCL not being good enough as a goal scorer, where Matt is arguing about his worth to the team.

Either way, Bailey, Palfy, your not making the starting 11 I’m afraid. Not gonna give you a locker 😉

5 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I think the team players and individual players are staking their claim on this forum.

Palfy has previously stamped his mark when he explained that he was a dictator of a boss, so I’m not surprised he is more interested in the individual rather than collective.

Not sure where Bailey is going with this, think your arguing your own point about DCL not being good enough as a goal scorer, where Matt is arguing about his worth to the team.

Either way, Bailey, Palfy, your not making the starting 11 I’m afraid. Not gonna give you a locker 😉

Thanks for your misjudged insight I am the voice of reason and not the Ogre you portrayed, also Bailey is a very astute poster with a wealth of knowledge, you may act like Koeman and take our lockers away but like Niasse we will prove you wrong.

Hope you like humble pie 😋

18 minutes ago, Shukes said:

You’ve clearly never seen me play :P besides, I’d be injured before the end of the first half :D 

17 hours ago, Matt said:

Not at all. His finishing is poor, but his role is what’s important 

This for me. We hardly made any chances for him, but his hard work makes it easier for the midfield to score. I'd be questioning Bernard, Walcott and Gana for not scoring enough before DCL. Even Richarlison and Sigurdssen probably missed more gearing chances, I can't really think of many were DCL should have scored. 

He only played half a season worth of minutes. If he'd played a full one his expected goals would be 11 and expected assists 10 which would be enough to justify his place for me, but add to that he gets the players behind him playing better. He's not a natural finisher but our system doesn't create much chances for him, with 4 goals from his head and 2 good finishes. I'd only say one maybe two were put on a plate. Lookman cross for one header can't remember which game (but must will remember Lookman's cross), and the other being a cut back to him were he drilled it low into the near corner, possibly against City. 

59 minutes ago, Matt said:

All that occupying and hustling defenders creates space for others though, and if it leads to others scoring then his lower goal return doesn’t worry me as much.  But I’m going around in circles again :lol: 

But thats what we love doing on here ;)

Give it a couple of days and we can do it all again. If you want to mix it up a bit you can pick a different player!

1 minute ago, sibdane said:

I don't think it's too much to ask that he score more. I know he brings others into play, but he's also going to get chances, and some of the ones he missed last season should've been goals. 

That goes for most players. Kane misses 2 easy ones most matches but gets the third so very little gets mentioned about his misses. Our system doesn't give one player that much opportunity in a game with the chances spread across the midfield too. 

I don't think DCL gives us too many 'he should have scored that moments'. Bernard would be the first player that comes to mind from last season. 

2 minutes ago, pete0 said:

That goes for most players. Kane misses 2 easy ones most matches but gets the third so very little gets mentioned about his misses. Our system doesn't give one player that much opportunity in a game with the chances spread across the midfield too. 

I don't think DCL gives us too many 'he should have scored that moments'. Bernard would be the first player that comes to mind from last season. 

Yes, and Bernard should've done better too. That's all fine that other players miss too, the point remains the same. 

8 minutes ago, pete0 said:

We hardly made any chances for him,

That’s more to do with his own positional sense he doesn’t make the right runs in or around the box to allow people to play him in, he is very static he doesn’t possess what most good strikers have which is to know when and where to make your move to create the space necessary for others to find you. 

38 minutes ago, sibdane said:

Yes, and Bernard should've done better too. That's all fine that other players miss too, the point remains the same. 

Think you're missing my point. We don't give him a great deal of opportunities. Proportionally he's not missing any more than say Kane for Spurs. Whereas proportionally to DCL the players behind him are missing more. 

The role we ask of DCL is closer to Firminio. He's there to keep moving, to keep dragging the centre halves and full backs out of position to make space for our midfield to exploit. He's excelling at that role and stats wise his goals and assists are solid. 

38 minutes ago, Palfy said:

That’s more to do with his own positional sense he doesn’t make the right runs in or around the box to allow people to play him in, he is very static he doesn’t possess what most good strikers have which is to know when and where to make your move to create the space necessary for others to find you. 

For me he's smart in his running and positioning. Four of his goals are headers where he's in the right place and another is he's moved into position for a cut back. 6th goal was the counter when Gana put him through. So he's only had the one from the middle and that was when Cardiff were pushed forward looking for a last minute equaliser. 

For me he'd get more chances if Sigurdssen was more proactive and Gana faster at playing the ball/more adventurous. That or if we switched tactics. 

6 hours ago, JimmytheJimster said:

Yeah I'd go with something like that, it would give us a plan B and we wouldn't be so predictable. I also wouldn't mind getting Costa if the price was right (10-15 mill) at least he'd gives us that aggression and could teach DCL a thing or two.

Me too, he’s a proper handful and I think DCL could learn a bit from him. 

On 14/07/2019 at 15:48, pete0 said:

I'd be questioning Bernard, Walcott and Gana for not scoring enough before DCL.

DCL 6 goals 2 assists for a striker and the amount of game time he had last season that’s a woeful return. 

Walcott 5 goals 2 assists for a winger and the amount of game time he played that’s a good return. 

I agree with Bernard and Gana that they should have contributed more, there’s not many players you shout at don’t shoot but Gana is one very poor ability when taking a shot at goal, and Bernard is a choker in front of goal he’s missed chances that would have been easier to score, but with Walcott your way off the mark. 

But let’s not blame others for DCLs own inadequacies he doesn’t score enough and his assists don’t make up for that. 

9 hours ago, barryj said:

I wouldn’t! 

Bernard and Walcott missed more easier chances, as did Richarlison and Sig but they scored enough to make up for it. Gana never even scored a single goal. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

DCL 6 goals 2 assists for a striker and the amount of game time he had last season that’s a woeful return. 

Walcott 5 goals 2 assists for a winger and the amount of game time he played that’s a good return. 

I agree with Bernard and Gana that they should have contributed more, there’s not many players you shout at don’t shoot but Gana is one very poor ability when taking a shot at goal, and Bernard is a choker in front of goal he’s missed chances that would have been easier to score, but with Walcott your way off the mark. 

But let’s not blame others for DCLs own inadequacies he doesn’t score enough and his assists don’t make up for that. 

I like Walcott and think he done enough last season, not spectacular but done his job, only named him as he missed a few sitters whereas DCL didn't get as many on a plate. 

Fantasy football shows he got 5 assists. For the minutes he played and in the system we do he's one of the first names in the team for me. 

Premier league have stats for big chances missed. No idea how accurate they are though as I'm sure I've been left holding my head more than 4 times after a Bernard chance. Goals scored, big chances missed, conversion rate

Richarlison 13/8= 1.63

Sigurdssen 13/10= 1.30

DCL 6/7= 0.86

Walcott 5/9= 0.56

Bernard 1/4= 0.2

In comparison to a few strikers:

Aubameyang 22/23= 0.96

Aguero 21/10= 2.10

Vardy 17/18=.0.94

Kane 17/11= 1.55

Wilson 14/21= 0.67

Firminio 12/9= 1.33

Rashford 10/16= 0.63

DCL only has a small sample size but he's not doing too bad considering finishing isn't his strong suit. Holds his own against most strikers in the league. 

The chances missed stats dont tell you the whole story though. Im not sure what they quantify as a big either. For me a free shot on the edge of the box in the PL is a huge chance but I suspect that wont count whereas a shot in the 6 yard box with the defender inches away and easily getting the block in does. 

I think its hard to argue that anyone but Siggy, Richarlison and Digne pulled their weight in the goals / assists categories. Bernard was terrible when it came to the final ball or shot but he was instrumental in a lot of our build up, in a similar way that DCL was. 

I dont disagree that DCL holds his own against some strikers in the league, but he doesnt hold a candle to the quality of strikers that finished above us and thats the gap we need to close. Bernard gets the benefit of the doubt for another season given how he came into the side last year but DCL knows what this league is all about now and he has to score and create more.

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Hope that Moise pushes him for that starting spot and makes him even better. Make or break for dom this year. 

I’m really excited to see them play together. Can you imagine the chaos Keans pace could cause with DCL occupying defenders and knocking the ball down? I wonder if DCL might start being competition for Gylfi as the supporting forward

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

I’m really excited to see them play together. Can you imagine the chaos Keans pace could cause with DCL occupying defenders and knocking the ball down? I wonder if DCL might start being competition for Gylfi as the supporting forward

I hope not. I want a creative player as Sig's competition, not a workhorse!

4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I hope not. I want a creative player as Sig's competition, not a workhorse!

Ideally so do I, but the only other player who can do that at the moment is Bernard and I want him where he is.

Absolutely not my first choice but would add a different dimension if we need to do more long ball 

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

Ideally so do I, but the only other player who can do that at the moment is Bernard and I want him where he is.

Absolutely not my first choice but would add a different dimension if we need to do more long ball 

Then we should just change formation and not have a 10. If you don't have one to replace Sig then you change the game plan, not play someone incapable.

Think this is a massive season for DCL tbh. If he doesn't find his feet and find a spot I think he could find himself moving on in the summer.

24 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Then we should just change formation and not have a 10. If you don't have one to replace Sig then you change the game plan, not play someone incapable.

Think this is a massive season for DCL tbh. If he doesn't find his feet and find a spot I think he could find himself moving on in the summer.

True, which is why I posted the 424 formation I’d like to see. But managers are stubborn and have their ideas. I don’t think he’s be incapable either, for that position, but certainly not ideal.

My thinking is the following; I’m a convert to DCL, never thought he’d be any good but he’s proven me wrong. Not as a striker, I am still right about that but as a forward. His skill set will unlock a finisher, which is hopefully Kean. I don’t realistically think we’ll play 2 up front, as much as I’d like to see it, so dropping DCL back, who has the work rate and tenacity of Glyfi but not the passing or shooting abilities, is the only way I see them both playing together. There’s no way we’ve given DCL the 9 shirt without thinking he will be a starter, and no way we’ve signed Kean to sit on the bench so logically the idea is to have them both playing together. Which is really exciting but formation-wise, it’s a headache. Unless... DCL remains as our line leader, Bernard is competition for Siggy, Kean is a left sided forward with Richarlison on the other side and we really are going for a 433 as a base setup. 

Anyway, because I’m rambling now, it’s a bloody good headache to have. How long has it been since we had a headache in attacking talent?!

agree with you that this is a make or break season for him. I think, if Silva plays to his strengths, he’ll be huge this season. If not, for the sake of the lad, we need to move him on. In any case, it’s going to be a very interesting season, even if I don’t expect much from it. 

18 minutes ago, StevO said:

I’d like to see a bit of 442 at home this season with them two up front. 

Trouble is with that is we lose a lot of the attacking potential. But as we all know, well most, formations are fluid and a competent manager has several for the different eventualities, be it in game or to counter the opposition