Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'd be pissed about him not getting assists if I didn't know that Ancelotti has basically told him to goal hang and make sure he's in the 6 yard box when the ball comes in.

I agree but like I said when that’s not happening when we are unable to pressure team’s and get the ball in the 6yrd box he should be adding something else to the game, like assists for others or trying to make his own goals by having the odd run and shot from just in or outside the area but we don’t see none of that, and I can’t believe that people don’t believe a player of his strength size and speed shouldn’t be expected to do more than score from 2 or 3 yards out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is utterly ridiculous the amount of headers he wins. He's a player I really want to do well. He never puts anything less than 100% in and he comes across as someone that genuinely realises how

Really good post game interview from him, such a humble, respectful guy who is always working on his weaker areas. Always thought myself his dribbling, passing and long shots are those weaker poi

Posted Images

Just now, Palfy said:

I agree but like I said when that’s not happening when we are unable to pressure team’s and get the ball in the 6yrd box he should be adding something else to the game, like assists for others or trying to make his own goals by having the odd run and shot from just in or outside the area but we don’t see none of that, and I can’t believe that people don’t believe a player of his strength size and speed shouldn’t be expected to do more than score from 2 or 3 yards out. 

I do expect more than that, but if that's the way the manager is asking him to play then I don't really see the point in getting annoyed about him not doing it. He's got instructions and he's carrying them out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He offers absolutely nothing other than the goals he’s scored and those goals are nowhere near as prolific as Lineker so a poor comparison - for now anyway. 
 

I also believe Carlo has told him to goal hang because he knows his game is limited. That’s getting the best out of him. His all around game is poor and whilst he’s not the worst striker we’ve had he’s nowhere near the best or the answer. We need another striker to at least put pressure on his place in the team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I do expect more than that, but if that's the way the manager is asking him to play then I don't really see the point in getting annoyed about him not doing it. He's got instructions and he's carrying them out.

Fair enough I’m not going to argue with that, but I find it so annoying that he’s has everything in his armour to be so much better in my eyes 👀 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MC11 said:

He offers absolutely nothing other than the goals he’s scored and those goals are nowhere near as prolific as Lineker so a poor comparison - for now anyway. 
 

I also believe Carlo has told him to goal hang because he knows his game is limited. That’s getting the best out of him. His all around game is poor and whilst he’s not the worst striker we’ve had he’s nowhere near the best or the answer. We need another striker to at least put pressure on his place in the team. 

His heading, hold up play, ability to bring balls down under his control, lay off's  and bringing players into the game are very good. 

Just going through a rough patch in terms of goals, but that will come good again. Carlo keeps him in the box because thsts where he is most effective. We need his presence there to be the focal point of attacks. Players like James, Richy, and Doucoure feed balls to him, that's their job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, London Blue said:

His heading, hold up play, ability to bring balls down under his control, lay off's  and bringing players into the game are very good. 

Just going through a rough patch in terms of goals, but that will come good again. Carlo keeps him in the box because thsts where he is most effective. We need his presence there to be the focal point of attacks. Players like James, Richy, and Doucoure feed balls to him, that's their job.

It’s actually not though!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Picked to start for England 

Be nice if he banged a few in, not like it's tough oppostion, San Marino are ranked 210th out of 210 by FIFA. Don't want to start like this again though (actually I wouldn't mind at all if we did, it was bloody hilarious😂)!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Really? I'm not watching, he'll only get an hour if he's lucky so needs to be taking his chances.

Yeah, he should be but he’s cruising more than trying. 

England should be 8 up already, some cracking saves from their keeper 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t even know England were playing. Couldn’t give a toss about them these days. But it sounds like Dom should have done a bit better than 2 goals.

We’ve played San Marino quite often but we never seem to thrash them the way other teams do... I remember watching them score that goal against us in the first 10 seconds in the 94 World Cup qualifiers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Tied for 4th most goals in the league and people want to bench him and play a midfielder at forward.  This is why Everton can’t have nice things.  He has 19 goals and 4 assists in all comps.  Scores goals which is what I want from a striker, I’d like to keep playing him up top thank you very much

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Tied for 4th most goals in the league and people want to bench him and play a midfielder at forward.  This is why Everton can’t have nice things.  He has 19 goals and 4 assists in all comps.  Scores goals which is what I want from a striker, I’d like to keep playing him up top thank you very much

Not sure people are calling for him to be dropped... He’s improved his goal scoring but he needs to improve his finishing to become a top level striker. Hopefully they are putting the work in with him to achieve that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Tied for 4th most goals in the league and people want to bench him and play a midfielder at forward.  This is why Everton can’t have nice things.  He has 19 goals and 4 assists in all comps.  Scores goals which is what I want from a striker, I’d like to keep playing him up top thank you very much

FFS MJB he's got 4th most goals now but was top scorer .... His trajectory has been downwards for a while now and personally I think he's knackered. 

I've vocal about DCLs strengths for some time and I said he would come good as a mechanical goalscorer - which he has.

To be the player he can be - he needs to be sharp and fully fresh.  At the moment he's not been playing well. 

You can't rely on one striker.  For me he needs the burden relieving - he could play several positions.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Tied for 4th most goals in the league and people want to bench him and play a midfielder at forward.  This is why Everton can’t have nice things.  He has 19 goals and 4 assists in all comps.  Scores goals which is what I want from a striker, I’d like to keep playing him up top thank you very much

Or back in the real world two people were talking about other ways you could use James to make the most of that players attributes whilst not sacrificing the shape of the side.

As for DCL he is still the same player he was last season. His effort is a lot more focused by Ancellotti which is the biggest change but technically and creatively he is the same player with the same limitations, whilst having the same physical qualities.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone else think he’s been far to over used due to no real competition in the squad, I’m not going down the road of he’s tired as he is one of the fittest if not the fittest in the team, and would want to play every game. I think he’s gone off the boil through lack of genuine competition, he can afford to have back to back poor games and pretty much guarantee to play the next, he needs the competition to push him on. 
It worked wonders for Pickford. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Does anyone else think he’s been far to over used due to no real competition in the squad, I’m not going down the road of he’s tired as he is one of the fittest if not the fittest in the team, and would want to play every game. I think he’s gone off the boil through lack of genuine competition, he can afford to have back to back poor games and pretty much guarantee to play the next, he needs the competition to push him on. 
It worked wonders for Pickford. 

I think he is tired. He actually looks like he needs to put on a few pounds too.  Whether it be physically or mentally - doing his role in our side can't be easy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

I think he is tired. He actually looks like he needs to put on a few pounds too.  Whether it be physically or mentally - doing his role in our side can't be easy. 

I agree he does look a lot leaning than 18 months ago, and that is undoubtedly due to the amount of games and the work he is being asked to get through in those games, but he’s still physically strong and able to bully people. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

this is his first full campaign playing nearly every match and starting.  he's played bit part roles most other campaigns.  let him continue to learn about endurance, stamina, and grow.  he will come back next year in a different mindset and fitness and be ready.  you only learn and grow through experience IMO

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure he probably is a bit tired just as most players will be at this time of the season but I don't think that has changed anything. He is still doing the same things he was before but the ball isn't getting to him inside the 6 yard box as it was at the start of the season. That quality chance was never going to be sustainable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Btay said:

Richy probably would have scored Dom’s as well, just how it goes I guess!

Of all the chances the easiest was the one on one for Dom. The view from behind the goal shows he has so much of the goal gaping for him, but hit the keeper. Terrible miss for me.

But I still have faith in him and I am sure he will start hitting the back of the net again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

The first one he should've done what Richy did against Southampton and gone around the keeper.

He needs to improve his decision making when he's given time to think. I have no doubt it'll be something he'll put the time in to improve though.

Exactly, so much time for him to skip it around the keeper and slot it.

As you mentioned, I don’t think Dom is the type to be content. I really hope he knows there’s room for improvement and he is still young enough to improve.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if both of them are at their usual level they probably score two each. It’s more frustrating because they are chances that we see them both finish so often. They need to make up for it on Monday night. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I think it’s more a case of the way he is being asked to play, basically staying between the sticks, if we don’t create the chances for him then he offers nothing to the team and since James has been out we have really struggled to make any chances

Yes he has been guilty of missing a few sitters when they have come his way recently but I’m sure once we get back to playing some attacking football he will quickly be on another scoring streak 

He offers so much more than goals. He defends from the front, he creates space. "Offers nothing to the team" unless he's scoring is just nonsense 

Link to post
Share on other sites

He does Matt. He keeps defenders occupied on him and stretches opposition defences. 
And like Richie, how many defensive headers does he make at the near post.

I also think Dom gets an unfair ride when it comes to his technical ability. He has a decent touch on him and can take a player on. The other week he sent Richie through for two one on ones that if scored would have been labelled as assists.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Shukes said:

He does Matt. He keeps defenders occupied on him and stretches opposition defences. 
And like Richie, how many defensive headers does he make at the near post.

I also think Dom gets an unfair ride when it comes to his technical ability. He has a decent touch on him and can take a player on. The other week he sent Richie through for two one on ones that if scored would have been labelled as assists.

His technical ability and passing range is massively under appreciated. If he did what he does for us at Barca, he'd be in all the headlines. His finishing outside of heading and poaching still needs a lot of work. Other than that he's got it all

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...