IGNORED

Cuco Martina

I might be wrong but I think the point is that you don't 'aim' to buy a squad filler as such, you 'aim' for the highest quality possible. You don't need 22 of the highest quality, but get maybe 15 or 16.

This is quite a big failure in the Premiership for me. Teams buy in a few of 'squad fillers' then don't give any younger lads a chance. Clubs have already spent a fortune nurturing the young lads, why then fill their squad place with a relatively cheap import who can't do any better of a job than the young lad?

That's my angle anyway.

I agree with that completely. But 15 or 16 egos are easier to satisfy than 30. Those extra 4 or 5 players are players who still start regularly in a squad with European competition.

I agree with that completely. But 15 or 16 egos are easier to satisfy than 30. Those extra 4 or 5 players are players who still start regularly in a squad with European competition.

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting as many as 30. That would be hard to handle.

At the same time, I worry about the mentality of senior players who would join but be happy to sit on the bench as their 'role'. Surely every player who joins is told the have an equal chance to start?

I might be wrong but I think the point is that you don't 'aim' to buy a squad filler as such, you 'aim' for the highest quality possible. You don't need 22 of the highest quality, but get maybe 15 or 16.

This is quite a big failure in the Premiership for me. Teams buy in a few of 'squad fillers' then don't give any younger lads a chance. Clubs have already spent a fortune nurturing the young lads, why then fill their squad place with a relatively cheap import who can't do any better of a job than the young lad?

That's my angle anyway.

Exactly the point Newty.

Going back on point more with Coleman, I wouldn't be confident that he is going to come back the same player.

I think we need to approach the season ahead with the decision as to whether Kenny is or isn't good enough. If he isn't, we need to get someone in. If he is then stick with him and Holgate can fill in if needed.

In some ways the Europa will help this year because Koeman will see him competitively for a few games before the window closes.

No team in the Prem is stocked with starters on their bench. Even Barcelona, Bayern, Real Madrid and Napoli have guys who fill roles. We're talking about professional footballer egos here. And the two guys you mention concede my point. They're not happy to sit on the bench, therefore don't play well and don't fulfill their roles when they come on as subs.

Team chemistry matters. People fulfill the roles that they've been assigned. You can't buy a bunch of top players, tell them they're all going to start, sit half of them and still win games. That is decisively not how it works.

I didn't say that any team should be filled with stars from 1 to 30. The point is don't buy someone who is happy to sit on the bench and pick up a wage. As I mention in my post above. You either trust Kenny or you get a starter in, because you don't know when or how Coleman will come back.

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting as many as 30. That would be hard to handle.

At the same time, I worry about the mentality of senior players who would join but be happy to sit on the bench as their 'role'. Surely every player who joins is told the have an equal chance to start?

I don't think so. Look at Tottenham's purchase of Janssen. Do you think he was told he'd have an equal chance of starting as Harry Kane? Or that he legitimately thought he had a chance of usurping his starting role? No. He comes in, knows he'll be played as a sub, hopes he performs and gets a chance to play alongside him or gets a good run of matches if Kane misses out due to injury. And that from a highly coveted striker.

Players understand when they come in to a big club that they'll have to fight hard to earn a starting role unless told otherwise. Some are content with that because of age (young or old), ability, return from injury or a bad spell at another club. It's basic logic. A squad must be bigger than 11 players; therefore, not everyone will start. Players understand that, too.

Realistically, any RB who comes to Everton knows that we extended Coleman's contract after his injury. They'll know we value him and they'll know that unless they are world-beating in their time as a fill-in, that the starting job will be his when he returns. They'll also know we have a promising young RB in Kenny who performed incredibly well for England's U20s. We won't be signing any top RBs because footballers aren't that naive. Any RB we do sign will be content to fill a role and hope to perform as well as they can to make the manager's decision tougher when Coleman is healthy.

I don't think so. Look at Tottenham's purchase of Janssen. Do you think he was told he'd have an equal chance of starting as Harry Kane? Or that he legitimately thought he had a chance of usurping his starting role? No. He comes in, knows he'll be played as a sub, hopes he performs and gets a chance to play alongside him or gets a good run of matches if Kane misses out due to injury. And that from a highly coveted striker.

Players understand when they come in to a big club that they'll have to fight hard to earn a starting role unless told otherwise. Some are content with that because of age (young or old), ability, return from injury or a bad spell at another club. It's basic logic. A squad must be bigger than 11 players; therefore, not everyone will start. Players understand that, too.

Nah, I'm not so sure buddy. I can't be convinced that Janssen (as the example here, many other like him I guess) would be happy to be a sub as such. A number of clubs would have been after him, if I remember, he was hot property. I'm not convinced he'd happily settle for a bench role when those talks where taking place...I mean, it goes against the grain that would have made him reach that level in the first place.

It's a funny one really. Only players like this really know. But I'd be pretty sure that they believed they could compete for that starting place. You've got to have that belief in you to make it to this level??? I doubt very much he goes from being a guaranteed starter to a guaranteed sub feeling all cobtent.

Although reading what you are typing, we are kind of arguing the same point but coming at it from opposite directions...which happens a lot on here!!!

Edited by Newty82

Nah, I'm not so sure buddy. I can't be convinced that Janssen (as the example here, many other like him I guess) would be happy to be a sub as such. A number of clubs would have been after him, if I remember, he was hot property. I'm not convinced he'd happily settle for a bench role when those talks where taking place...I mean, it goes against the grain that would have made him reach that level in the first place.

It's a funny one really. Only players like this really know. But I'd be pretty sure that they believed they could compete for that starting place. You've got to have that belief in you to make it to this level??? I doubt very much he goes from being a guaranteed starter to a guaranteed sub feeling all cobtent.

Although reading what you are typing, we are kind of arguing the same point but coming at it from opposite directions...which happens a lot on here!!!

I think you're nailed on with the last paragraph. I'm not saying players are happy or content to sit on the bench. I'm saying they know that's their role and they're willing to take on that role knowing they're either playing for a bigger club than the one they came from, or they're biding time for a bigger opportunity.

From the horse's mouth: "As a young player I had to compete with Harry Kane - the top scorer of the Premier League - arguably the toughest league in the world, and a striker who is performing remains in the team."

aaron might be time to let your mate know he's a bullshitter. they would have signed him by now if he had the physical.

Or not :dry: . He's gone off what his mate told him, he then passed on the info to me and I've done the same on here. He isn't the type to make shit up, especially on shite players.

Or not :dry: . He's gone off what his mate told him, he then passed on the info to me and I've done the same on here. He isn't the type to make shit up, especially on shite players.

Always the way mate- best saying nothing. No one here claims to be itk but you get told something and pass it on to try and give others the buzz - it falls through and you're a bullshitter or your mate is.

I appreciate the nod on anyway.

Hope not he's pacey but has no defensive qualities

won't disagree. also holgate is on the roster and he plays there. i think ron put priorities to CB, GK, klaassen and front 3 and is ok with baines/mori and coleman/holgate for our fullbacks/wing backs. if there is one position that is de-valued in his system i think it's the FB/WB position. so i don't think he's worried about it.

Edited by markjazzbassist