IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

Lukaku could go for a world record or very close to it.

Is that because he is the best there is?

The best there ever was?

Or is it just because it's the market these days?

I think 22m with adds on is a fair price for a top prospect goalkeeper these days. You want the best then you need to pay the 72m clauses for Ter Stegan and the likes.

Pickford is better than Robles and Steks. He is also at the start of his learning.

I'm not saying he's not an excellent goalie. Neither am I denying he has a lot of potential. What I am saying is that this is the 3rd highest fee ever paid in the world for a keeper and the highest ever paid in England. Let's hope he realizes his potential, but it is a huge risk. Remember David Marshall, anyone? "Great young keeper with potential whose team was relegated." For sure, I'm not the expert that our recruiters are; I'm simply pointing out the extent of the risk we're taking.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Let's put this in perspective: This is the third highest fee ever paid, anywhere in the world, for a goalkeeper. How on earth can we justify that? If he was the best goalkeeper playing one of the best teams in the world, I could understand it, but his team came rock bottom. For sure, he looked good in many respects, but he's young and only played for one year in the Prem. This one almighty risk when we already have another young keeper with much more experience in this league.

man city just paid 34.9m for a guy from portugal untested in the prem. this guy is tested in the prem, solid, young and ready to grow and improve. also we aren't paying 30m, that's with add ons. some have said 18-22m which would be more than fair.

All keepers do though, even the best!

£30m for at least as good is a fuckton of cash for little/no improvement

Yeh but he makes some shocking mistakes at times. I cant remember the game but we are taking about mistakes an under 16 keeper wouldn't make (hence why he was dropped again) and then the standard GK mistakes on top of that. Simply put Joel isn't good enough to be our number 1 next season unless we are happy to sit where we are. Pickford has the potential to go to the very top or very close to it, whereas Joel doesn't. There aren't many top class keepers knocking around, nor many promising keepers that would come to us.

£30mil is not the true figure, that could be years and years down the line that those clauses may kick in, or they may never kick in. I remember the insiders of the Bolasie deal where reporting that the actual sum was around half of that reported with the rest being unlikely add-ons (especially now because of his injury). If this Pickford deal is a basic amount of £18-21mil as reported, its a reasonable sum. I would expect Robles to be worth at least £10mil plus add ons.

Yeh but he makes some shocking mistakes at times. I cant remember the game but we are taking about mistakes an under 16 keeper wouldn't make (hence why he was dropped again) and then the standard GK mistakes on top of that. Simply put Joel isn't good enough to be our number 1 next season unless we are happy to sit where we are. Pickford has the potential to go to the very top or very close to it, whereas Joel doesn't. There aren't many top class keepers knocking around, nor many promising keepers that would come to us.

£30mil is not the true figure, that could be years and years down the line that those clauses may kick in, or they may never kick in. I remember the insiders of the Bolasie deal where reporting that the actual sum was around half of that reported with the rest being unlikely add-ons (especially now because of his injury). If this Pickford deal is a basic amount of £18-21mil as reported, its a reasonable sum. I would expect Robles to be worth at least £10mil plus add ons.

disagree on Joel, he still has potential that he's not being given the chance to develop.

Out of my hands, and I'll welcome Pickford with open arms. Just don't see the difference in quality for the money touted

man city just paid 34.9m for a guy from portugal untested in the prem. this guy is tested in the prem, solid, young and ready to grow and improve. also we aren't paying 30m, that's with add ons. some have said 18-22m which would be more than fair.

The goalkeeper that man city have just signed is regarded as the standout keeper from this years champions league, he had some brilliant games especially against dortmund

I've been pretty clear why :)

yes matt but we're not bill kenwright sell to buy anymore. we have money and want to compete with the best and win trophies. to do that we need to spend money. very simple equation, real madrid won champions league and their league, chelsea won our league, united won europa, all 3 were top spenders. just how it goes.

All we need now is a striker who can bring those kicks under control with a good first touch!

Chris Kirkland rates him as good as anything he has seen or worked with.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/phil-smith-pickford-will-become-world-class-at-everton-but-where-should-sunderland-go-next-1-8592779/amp

It is quite clear that this lad impresses in many aspects... if he flops we would probably lose £10m.... if he prospers he will probably be worth £50m

Edited by Hafnia

yes matt but we're not bill kenwright sell to buy anymore. we have money and want to compete with the best and win trophies. to do that we need to spend money. very simple equation, real madrid won champions league and their league, chelsea won our league, united won europa, all 3 were top spenders. just how it goes.

To do that we need to improve on what we've got, the money can help (certainly with consistent success) but it's not the "way". I'm looking at Dortmund of a few years ago, Leicester, Montpellier.

As for the not being buy to sell, pretty sure that's been debunked so far.... (not that I care provided the correct players come in)

Edited by Matt

To do that we need to improve on what we've got, the money can help (certainly with consistent success) but it's not the "way". I'm looking at Dortmund of a few years ago, Leicester, Montpellier.

As for the not being buy to sell, pretty sure that's been debunked so far.... (not that I care provided the correct players come in)

dortmund spent more than bayern in 2016 and are the second biggest spenders in their league, not a good example. Leicester are a once in 20 years winners and then fall back to mediocrity, no thanks i don't want that. Montpellier haven't been good since Giroud left and had a leicester like season winning the league only to join mediocrity indefinately.

not sure what you're talking about matt, it's like your reality of football is different than the actual situation. i don't want a fairy tale team, i want a consistent trophy winning and CL playing side. spending ensures that, simple as that.

dortmund spent more than bayern in 2016 and are the second biggest spenders in their league, not a good example. Leicester are a once in 20 years winners and then fall back to mediocrity, no thanks i don't want that. Montpellier haven't been good since Giroud left and had a leicester like season winning the league only to join mediocrity indefinately.

not sure what you're talking about matt, it's like your reality of football is different than the actual situation. i don't want a fairy tale team, i want a consistent trophy winning and CL playing side. spending ensures that, simple as that.

my reality is that after 30 years of being an Evertonian, I've witnessed 1 FA Cup that was won, not bought.

I do want the fairytale, to start. I want the fairytale to kick off a new era, and not just throw money at names ala City, Chelsea, PSG, Real, Barcelona, but because we earned it.

I don't like the way the game has developed over the last 10-15 years, the money involved is disgusting - 10 years ago I was making the same argument as you're making funnily enough.

I still want Everton to be the best, but to do it the right way. That's the reality I want and hold on to.

Edited by Matt

disagree on Joel, he still has potential that he's not being given the chance to develop.

Out of my hands, and I'll welcome Pickford with open arms. Just don't see the difference in quality for the money touted

Agree with yer. No where near a £30m upgrade.

my reality is that after 30 years of being an Evertonian, I've witnessed 1 FA Cup that was won, not bought.

I do want the fairytale, to start. I want the fairytale to kick off a new era, and not just throw money at names ala City, Chelsea, PSG, Real, Barcelona, but because we earned it.

I don't like the way the game has developed over the last 10-15 years, the money involved is disgusting - 10 years ago I was making the same argument as you're making funnily enough.

I still want Everton to be the best, but to do it the right way. That's the reality I want and hold on to.

See I on the other hand really couldn't give a shit how we do it, I just want us to win things. I'd happily see Everton throw money at players to win trophies. Fuck the right way, winning is what counts. Nice guys finish last and all that.

See I on the other hand really couldn't give a shit how we do it, I just want us to win things. I'd happily see Everton throw money at players to win trophies. Fuck the right way, winning is what counts. Nice guys finish last and all that.

and I understand why, like I said I used to think the same. Just turned into an old romantic

Guest rusty747

We can get the best of both worlds if we (or rather Koeman and Walsh) are smart, by spending big bucks on quality players, but only those quality players that will fit in with the dressing room and not regard themselves (as Lukaku appears to) as being above the rest of the squad.

Spend big on quality TEAM players (Morgan as an example) and we can win, and win the Everton way.

and I understand why, like I said I used to think the same. Just turned into an old romantic

I wish we would do it with style, out of the choice obviously the nice way is the best way but after growing up surrounded by kopites celebrating cup wins every couple of years its become very tedious seeing us win just 1 in that time.