IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

6 hours ago, Matt said:

It’s not how it read. It read like you’ve seen the best and you’re then saying Pickford makes mistakes Southall wouldn’t. That is a comparison, intended or not, and it’s not the first time you’ve compared a younger player with promise with one of our greats.

So calm down and fuck off yourself with “supposedly intelligent”. 

Go Fuck yourself? Charming.  One of those days is Matt? Have a lie down. 

How it read to you is not what was written.  You clearly took a lazy steer from a previous post without reading what was written in response to Baileys comment.   

I repeat Bailey intimated my understanding of goalkeeping is naive and I think everything is black and white.

I responded by saying I know enough about goalkeeping to know that balls do not come into the 6 yard box like that with the keeper stood on the line... and the reason i know this is I watched Southall from the age of 9 who would not allow balls to go into the box.....

So if you played golf and someone asked you why you used an interlocking grip and you responded by saying "cos tiger does and he's the greatest"..... does that mean you are comparing yourself to him???? No.   Same thing. 

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Not that anyone's making comparisons but at Jordan's age Nev was loaned to Port Vale (4th division) for two months after a 5-0 derby loss at Goodison; he only played the last four games of the 82/83 season for us due to first choice Jim Arnold being injured. Start of 83/84 (older than Jordan is now) he was still second choice behind Arnold, only taking over as number one in October, the rest is history (curiously Jim Arnold was sold to Port Vale, his last act in an Everton shirt was sitting on the bench in Rotterdam).

Not going to make a comment on these facts, just putting them out there.

Southall had 65 professional games by pickfords age. Pickford has had in excess of 140 games excluding conference.  Different situation but I'm not saying he won't improve massively .... I just don't think he will and the media frenzy on him being England number 1 and his insistence of talking and saying stuff like I won't make the same type of mistakes as Allisson was stupid. He needs to learn and keep quiet.

I'm basically saying that he messed up by not coming for the Lincoln cross into the 6 yard box.  For some reason it seems that I've got it in for him.....  not so. I just think he needs to sort his head out and some fans need to hold him as accountable as they would other players. 

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

Not that anyone's making comparisons but at Jordan's age Nev was loaned to Port Vale (4th division) for two months after a 5-0 derby loss at Goodison; he only played the last four games of the 82/83 season for us due to first choice Jim Arnold being injured. Start of 83/84 (older than Jordan is now) he was still second choice behind Arnold, only taking over as number one in October, the rest is history (curiously Jim Arnold was sold to Port Vale, his last act in an Everton shirt was sitting on the bench in Rotterdam).

Not going to make a comment on these facts, just putting them out there.

Fence sitter :leggit:

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

Go Fuck yourself? Charming.  One of those days is Matt? Have a lie down. 

How it read to you is not what was written.  You clearly took a lazy steer from a previous post without reading what was written in response to Baileys comment.   

I repeat Bailey intimated my understanding of goalkeeping is naive and I think everything is black and white.

I responded by saying I know enough about goalkeeping to know that balls do not come into the 6 yard box like that with the keeper stood on the line... and the reason i know this is I watched Southall from the age of 9 who would not allow balls to go into the box.....

So if you played golf and someone asked you why you used an interlocking grip and you responded by saying "cos tiger does and he's the greatest"..... does that mean you are comparing yourself to him???? No.   Same thing. 

Have a lie down? How about get your head out of your own arse? You think you can refer to me as "supposedly intelligent" and not expect a response?! Trust me, I've been biting my tongue, so to speak.

How I read it was exactly how it was written - a direct comparison between Southall and Pickford. Forgot where you wrote it?

On 08/01/2019 at 20:26, hafnia said:

1.12.... he was going for the cross and immediately the second he seen it was falling way short of near post adjusted himself to get in the right spot.

The cross on 2.29 was barely 6 yard box...swinging out too. 

The cross on 4.14 he actually did go for it but it looped over him. 

Absolutely no way would Southall have let pickfords go without challenging.  Silva has even indicated that he would speak to pickford about it. 

That is a direct comparison. . I know you said you're not comparing the two beforehand, but then you do exactly that.

I know what you were trying to say, but it's not what you said. and it is not the first time you've compared a developing young talent with the greats of the game. That is also just fact.

Now, I know why you were making the comparison but at acknowledge your mistake!

45 minutes ago, Matt said:

Have a lie down? How about get your head out of your own arse? You think you can refer to me as "supposedly intelligent" and not expect a response?! Trust me, I've been biting my tongue, so to speak.

How I read it was exactly how it was written - a direct comparison between Southall and Pickford. Forgot where you wrote it?

That is a direct comparison. . I know you said you're not comparing the two beforehand, but then you do exactly that.

I know what you were trying to say, but it's not what you said. and it is not the first time you've compared a developing young talent with the greats of the game. That is also just fact.

Now, I know why you were making the comparison but at acknowledge your mistake!

My post on Monday at 21.59 clarified my stance "Not expecting pickford to be Southall.... I'm explaining that watching Southall from a young age taught you what was what"... in reference to the fact that a keeper shouldn't let a ball fly in his 6 yard box and staybtooted to his line.

To which you posted over 24 hours later

"Wow... comparing one of the greats of a completely different era, gameplay and technology wise, with a developing keeper.  Sad, but not the first time "

If my first post wasnt clear my second post certainly was before you waded up on with your judgement.  Forgot where I wrote it? No.... I clearly stated he would come and challenge for it... which is the right decision to make based on goalkeeping principles. 

And you get your arse out over my comment "supposedly intelligent".... nothing sad about me mate....  fuck it why am I explaining myself.  

Far too much populist shite on here. Done with the bullshit.  

49 minutes ago, hafnia said:

My post on Monday at 21.59 clarified my stance "Not expecting pickford to be Southall.... I'm explaining that watching Southall from a young age taught you what was what"... in reference to the fact that a keeper shouldn't let a ball fly in his 6 yard box and staybtooted to his line.

"Wow... comparing one of the greats of a completely different era, gameplay and technology wise, with a developing keeper.  Sad, but not the first time "

If my first post wasnt clear my second post certainly was before you waded up on with your judgement.  Forgot where I wrote it? No.... I clearly stated he would come and challenge for it... which is the right decision to make based on goalkeeping principles. 

And you get your arse out over my comment "supposedly intelligent".... nothing sad about me mate....  fuck it why am I explaining myself.  

First bit (I seem to remember in a post you mentioned you were nine when you started watching him, correct me if I'm wrong) what age were you at and what stage was he at in his career? I was in my twenties when he signed for us and I took no technical goalkeeping info from watching him at all, I never thought, "oh wow so now I know a 'keeper should never do x,y,z" I just thought, "bloody hell he's good!". I'm quite happy to accept that you were more of a student of the game than I was, when obviously watching live games and TV coverage was nothing compared to what we have today, and also if you started watching him as a kid you grew up as he did and took in more. I think it's quite likely Jordan will mature also.

Second bit, it's what you do;).

3 hours ago, hafnia said:

Yes, a forum works with delay. Hard to work out, I grant you that, especially if you’re dim.

Sorry that quoting you is too much. Must be my “lack of intelligence”. I can think of a better reason though. 

Can someone please tell me what is wrong with comparing Pickford to Southall anyhow??? Isn’t that what we are trying to achieve? They’re both goalkeepers who played for us....granted Southall was arguably the best in the world for a period when he played for us...but isn’t De Gea? Potentially Ederson, Alisson? Aren’t they in our league. We need one of the best to compete with these so what’s wrong with the comparison? 

20 minutes ago, sydneyneil said:

Can someone please tell me what is wrong with comparing Pickford to Southall anyhow??? Isn’t that what we are trying to achieve? They’re both goalkeepers who played for us....granted Southall was arguably the best in the world for a period when he played for us...but isn’t De Gea? Potentially Ederson, Alisson? Aren’t they in our league. We need one of the best to compete with these so what’s wrong with the comparison? 

Completely different football. You could catch a Mitre with one hand back in the day, whereas new balls are 'too round' making the flight of them unpredictable and a lot harder for 'keepers to follow/catch, why a lot punch it rather than catch in modern day football. 

4 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Completely different football. You could catch a Mitre with one hand back in the day, whereas new balls are 'too round' making the flight of them unpredictable and a lot harder for 'keepers to follow/catch, why a lot punch it rather than catch in modern day football. 

Interesting Pete I never knew that

14 minutes ago, sydneyneil said:

Nothing mate how do you improve if you have nothing to compare it to, for me there was nothing wrong with what Haf was trying to convey others took it out of context then it ended in the normal shit storm which is the standard on here lately.

For me Pickford could do well by analysing Southalls matches to be fair all up and coming keepers could, and if the truth be known I expect they all do I know I would he's one of the all time great keepers and you could learn loads by watching how he commanded his goal and area.

7 minutes ago, pete0 said:

That's very true the ball does react differently when struck with force, but general crossing the ball the ball travels the same as the ball did in Southalls day. If it didn't it would be near on in possible for players to pick each other out with passes over 30yards, the ball that led to the goal was Pickfords everyday of the week no excuses and nothing to do with the ball, all to do with indecisive keeping and a lack of bottle.

3 hours ago, pete0 said:

I remember getting a Mitre Ultimax (I think it was anyway) for my birthday as a kid. I kicked it barefoot, it hurt soooo much! Imagine what Dixie played with. 

2 hours ago, sydneyneil said:

I’ve heard Pickford is straight up to Newcastle for a night out after most matches. There’s a few other rumours knocking about too which ain’t good...

Load of bollocks. In the old days players would get the day off after a game. Now they go in for a massage, or a stretching session, and a debrief. Normally the day after would be the day off, so after a Saturday game they would get Monday off. 

I used to hear about Barkley in the Grafton and Pickfords girlfriend was a 16 year old from Widnes. Load of shit. 

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 21:48, sydneyneil said:

I’ve heard Pickford is straight up to Newcastle for a night out after most matches. There’s a few other rumours knocking about too which ain’t good...

Considering it takes 3 / 4 hours to get to Newcastle (depending on traffic which can be a nightmare en route to the toon) and they usually have warm down training etc the next day I'm going to call this false.

8 minutes ago, aaron said:

Considering it takes 3 / 4 hours to get to Newcastle (depending on traffic which can be a nightmare en route to the toon) and they usually have warm down training etc the next day I'm going to call this false.

Rumours like these always pop up when players are in bad form or make a few mistakes.

Pretty sad that fans will make up shit like that about their own club and players.

I'm not arsed about players going out etc as long as it's not Darron Gibson levels of drinking and its done at the right time.

For me the lad has a need to knuckle down and realise that as good as he was in the world cup it can change very quickly.

He pissed me off telling zouma to fuck off yesterday.  His relationship with his defence needs work... that is clear.  I noticed when Seamus miscontrolled an easy ball and it spooned for a corner he gave Seamus a pat.... I don't think he fancies having a go at Seamus. Be consistent. 

1 hour ago, sydneyneil said:

There’s not just rumours about Pickford, Michael Keane also...who’s not in bad form...

I don't want to be locationist (if that's a thing) but I've literally heard fuck all about these rumours and I'm local (im guessing you're in Aus with that name). Keane even when in terrible form last season said himself in an interview he wouldn't leave the house incase he bumped into fans. Mark has it right, fans have made this shit up. Probably Kopites doing it. Remember when Danny Agger was out for ages and the rumour was he was on the sherbet? Load of shite and was started by Blues to wind Kopites up.