IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

28 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Double jeopardy didn't apply in that instance - double jeopardy only applies if the keeper goes for the ball. Was a deffo red. 

Of course it does. If you concede the penalty you don’t get the player sent off. If it was defo a red, he would have got a red. It’s not like the ref didn’t see it, and I’m sure he knows the laws of the game better than you and me. 

Im afraid yesterday he gets to involved with the Newcastle Sunderland thing to the detriment  of us.

He has a lot of growing up to do, hes had a disastrous season and im not sure he will pull out of it.

He does not seem to learn from his mistakes and there are a lot, he shows no sign of dominating the box or of trying to.

Personally i would move him on in the summer. We should have sold him last summer when his stock was high.

Furious with him. As mentioned above he showed his ego with the way he taunted the Newcastle fans - almost like when he ran his mouth about Allison’s mistake only to make a worse blunder against them. I know a lot are saying Silva shat the bed with the game - but Pickford solely put us in an uneasy situation from the penalty to all his mistakes.

Deffo red for me as well - if any keeper does that to our striker we would all scream for red as he made no attempt to play the ball and just the man.

3 hours ago, StevO said:

Of course it does. If you concede the penalty you don’t get the player sent off. If it was defo a red, he would have got a red. It’s not like the ref didn’t see it, and I’m sure he knows the laws of the game better than you and me. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jordan-pickford-newcastle-everton-penalty-15948894.amp

He costs us the game on Saturday. I don't blame Silva, he cant be responsible for such errors by a goalkeeper. He acts so immature. He's 25 years of age now he is not young. I understand keepers play until they are 40 but that doesn't mean they are still young at 25.

He has made so many errors this season. More than Howard was making towards the end of his tenure. He is so erratic and so is his personality. He needs so much to change to become a good goalkeeper in my opinion. All keepers these days are decent shot stoppers, it's the other attributes involved in goalkeeping which separate the good and the bad ones. We need a calm head at the back who exudes confidence in the back four. I think he makes them nervous. Even his kicking is dreadful.

Many fans used the derby defeat to blame our quick demise, like the derby was some sort of unlucky result. Pickford cost us that game and some momentum with one of the worst shows of goalkeeping of the season. I dare say, he has cost us some momentum again on Saturday. 

35 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Shit game and I don’t like his attitude but how did he lose the game?  He blocked the pen!  I believe only one goal was his fault, mEanwhile he had a couple of insane saves that kept us in it.  The defense Nd tactics were more to blame for me than Jordan.

He should have saved the first goal in my opinion. The pen he caused so is irrelevant. Goalkeepers are there to make saves Mark, there were no insane saves that he shouldn't have saved. Its' like there's now a bizarre theory about measuring mistakes versus saves and if he ends up in the positive then he's doing a good job. Goalkeepers should not be making several mistakes in a game like Pickford on Saturday. It's a regular occurrence and he costs us far too many points. If we had a  decent keeper this season, we are ten points better off. Easy.

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Shit game and I don’t like his attitude but how did he lose the game?  He blocked the pen!  I believe only one goal was his fault, mEanwhile he had a couple of insane saves that kept us in it.  The defense Nd tactics were more to blame for me than Jordan.

Agree with Above he should have saved the first one. Second one was woeful.

The pen just breeds doubt into defenders minds. He seriously needs a wake up, if Howard had messed up in the derby, taken out Zouma in the spurs game (1-0 at that point) and then today he would be getting torn apart. He’s lost a lot of precision with kicking and seems to try and get it as much distance with each kick as possible - which is frustrating because when he wants to he actually can pick a pass.

Overall - less is more Jordan. Give yourself as little to do each game but do it efficiently.

Yes he made a bad mistake for the pen but saved it. He made some other good saves too. Honestly not sure what he could’ve done better with their goals, and I’ve no intention of rewatching the highlights  

Yes his cockiness can be infuriating. The sticking the tongue out thing he does all the time. It’s like a reaction thing for him. He does need to tone it down but it’s not a big deal for me when he does his job, and if he doesn’t it won’t be cockiness that I complain about.

tactics lost us the game. Bringing Mina on to “counter their attacking sub” was just insane and unbalanced a back 2 that had done quite well all game.

35 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yes he made a bad mistake for the pen but saved it. He made some other good saves too. Honestly not sure what he could’ve done better with their goals, and I’ve no intention of rewatching the highlights  

Yes his cockiness can be infuriating. The sticking the tongue out thing he does all the time. It’s like a reaction thing for him. He does need to tone it down but it’s not a big deal for me when he does his job, and if he doesn’t it won’t be cockiness that I complain about.

tactics lost us the game. Bringing Mina on to “counter their attacking sub” was just insane and unbalanced a back 2 that had done quite well all game.

He should have saved the first 2 goals. First goal went underneath him. Second one he should have tipped it over the bar, it was a long range shot straight at him. 

He is / will be a top, top keeper, he was too hyped for the game. 

16 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

He single handedly stoked up a muted set of fans notorious for getting on their sides back when losing.... 2-0 down and they were quiet as nice till he starts making mistakes and pulling tongues at the gallowgate end. They were right up for it after that.

Add to that his defence don't know what he's gonna do. 

He's thick as pigshit.  Walked off the pitch gesturing to their fans - "outside" .... 

No other player in the prem has made more errors leading to shots or goals. 

11 hours ago, London Blue said:

He should have saved the first 2 goals. First goal went underneath him. Second one he should have tipped it over the bar, it was a long range shot straight at him. 

He is / will be a top, top keeper, he was too hyped for the game. 

He likes to throw his legs up in the air and go horizontal for saves that don't require him to do anything more than jump up and tip a shot over and land on his feet. One save was routine and he was giving it pure Hollywood....

He's like a kid who has had too many blue coloured sweets on a bouncy castle. 

He parries the ball back out rather than for a corner. Twice he did it and one goal we conceded.  The goal against Liverpool he could have tipped over for a corner....  it's sheer egotistical nonsense. 

Not convinced at all.  Has no command of his area 

10 minutes ago, hafnia said:

He single handedly stoked up a muted set of fans notorious for getting on their sides back when losing.... 2-0 down and they were quiet as nice till he starts making mistakes and pulling tongues at the gallowgate end. They were right up for it after that.

Add to that his defence don't know what he's gonna do. 

He's thick as pigshit.  Walked off the pitch gesturing to their fans - "outside" .... 

No other player in the prem has made more errors leading to shots or goals. 

i appreciate the comments and insight guys.  in the States the fans don't play much of a part in the game (at least in my experience).  i've never witnessed a US game/match/event where the fans single handedly spurred on the team for the win/upset.  it's wierd for me to not expect to win on the road, just another game over here and if the team is shit there is no reason the away side can't beat them.  whereas in the prem the away matches are considered so tough and you guys really see them differently.  times like this i appreciate the forum members educating me. the bit on them going behind and their own fans abandoning them is very interesting, i honestly had no idea.  

31 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i appreciate the comments and insight guys.  in the States the fans don't play much of a part in the game (at least in my experience).  i've never witnessed a US game/match/event where the fans single handedly spurred on the team for the win/upset.  it's wierd for me to not expect to win on the road, just another game over here and if the team is shit there is no reason the away side can't beat them.  whereas in the prem the away matches are considered so tough and you guys really see them differently.  times like this i appreciate the forum members educating me. the bit on them going behind and their own fans abandoning them is very interesting, i honestly had no idea.  

Yeah were a bunch of nutters over here it’s tribal and he upset their tribe which helped the atmosphere which in turn lifted their team.

He fucked up acting like a complete dick, I was born in Newcastle and the Geordie’s hate Mackem’s and vice versa for him I think he got lucky because if we had won he might have got a good slap, seems to be the way forward at the moment in Britain 🇬🇧

If he doesn't learn from the mistakes he made on Saturday he will never be as good as he has the potential to be.

Very immature in winding up the Toon army, and got them behind their team, as opposed to getting at them. Goalkeeper  Coaches need to show him how to not to push theball straight back into play, and kick more consistently.

He’s 25 now and I’m sure he’s been coached by professionals for years. He’s immature and has the wrong attitude. Add to that frequent poor decision making and he’s really not a top keeper. If he was 10th in a table of goalkeepering errors (in the premier league) which led to goals this season it would not be good enough. The guy is top in a table which includes every player. Why people still rate him is beyond me. Remember David James? Calamity James was always prone to errors despite having all the attributes. Pickford is similar but with less attributes. At least James was big.

19 hours ago, c1982 said:

Pickford needs a commanding centre back to keep him focused and give him a bollocking when he needs one. We obviously need a striker this summer but that leader at the back is just as important in my opinion.

It can also be argued our defenders need a calm head behind them.  He's just not professional imo. 

57 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Saved us far more points than he's cost us in his time here imo; he had a daft head on on Saturday and hopefully will be told as much behind closed doors.

I wouldn't swap him for anyone we could afford.

I'd argue that the mistakes he makes are pivotal and huge momentum swingers.  Take his mistake at Anfield..... you could argue that one mistake cost us our season and potentially giving Liverpool the league.  We never looked the same after that.... we were flying.  A good game against Liverpool pre the Newcastle game - coasting and then boom.  He makes the mistakes and the defence is all over the shop. 

Yes.. you can say we shouldn't be so weak but look at Liverpool - a solid keeper has completely addressed their side.

It's time we stop looking at players like lukaku, stones and pickford and their supposed elevated status as being something to celebrate or indulge them for.  All 3 of those players have been allowed to get far too big for their boots in our side.  The "England number 1" on the scoreboard before the games is cringeworthy and likely to England 3rd choice unless he sorts his shit out. 

A very good piece on him here. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Saved us far more points than he's cost us in his time here imo; he had a daft head on on Saturday and hopefully will be told as much behind closed doors.

I wouldn't swap him for anyone we could afford.

Where has this saved us more points than he’s cost us come from. I’m sick of saying this but keepers are there to make saves.. I can’t remember saves he’s made thinking he had no right to make the save. Most good saves are down to poor finishing at premier league level. All keepers in the premier league are good shot stoppers and regularly make “good saves” weekly. The better keepers are the ones who make less mistakes. The best compliment you can give a keeper is solid. He’s made more mistakes than any other keeper and is a keeper I would describe as erratic. Erratic is the worst adjective you can use to describe a keeper.

19 minutes ago, sydneyneil said:

Where has this saved us more points than he’s cost us come from. I’m sick of saying this but keepers are there to make saves.. I can’t remember saves he’s made thinking he had no right to make the save. Most good saves are down to poor finishing at premier league level. All keepers in the premier league are good shot stoppers and regularly make “good saves” weekly. The better keepers are the ones who make less mistakes. The best compliment you can give a keeper is solid. He’s made more mistakes than any other keeper and is a keeper I would describe as erratic. Erratic is the worst adjective you can use to describe a keeper.

Swept the board at our official awards ceremony last year, "solid" keepers don't get that type of recognition. Nev didn't win league player of the season because he was solid, he won it because he was brilliant.

Not disagreeing that Jordan's screwed up at times this year (though he's also made many superb saves); maybe the WC success went to his head and he needs a slap, I still maintain we couldn't get better.

58 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Swept the board at our official awards ceremony last year, "solid" keepers don't get that type of recognition. Nev didn't win league player of the season because he was solid, he won it because he was brilliant.

Not disagreeing that Jordan's screwed up at times this year (though he's also made many superb saves); maybe the WC success went to his head and he needs a slap, I still maintain we couldn't get better.

He also came back to pre season training earlier than he was scheduled to, maybe he needs a break, both physically and mentally.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

I don’t really want our keeper to be winning our awards at the end of the season. I’d much rather have a 7/10 keeper every week a la man city and Liverpool at the moment. His shot stopping is above average I agree on that with you and he’s good at pens, hence the hype at the World Cup. However, all other aspects of his game are poor. In fact very poor. I have no trust with him on crosses and set pieces and his decision making and concentration levels are poor. His kicking is over rated.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

I was very impressed pre-worldcup and post world cup.....  then we went and improved his contract by almost double which I didn't agree with - it needed structuring on clean sheets etc and increments year on year.

I had read somewhere that he came back from the WC with a stinking attitude - obviously that's hearsay but after a few games I could see things that weren't happening before.... complete and utter rashness and a propensity to lay blame at a defender for his errors.  Not one defender congratulated him for his penno save or indeed the save at near post against Newcastle - that sort of shit speaks volumes.

I mentioned quite a few times on here that his positioning and inability to claim or deal with balls into and around the 6 yard box was a problem.... well it still is and I don't see it changing.  I just think he is too small and lacks critical judgement. 

I've seen loads of keepers have one or two good seasons - and right now he resembles David James or Joe Hart, capable of great saves but ridiculous errors and a dodgy mentality.  He has pressed the Joe Hart "faux" mental strength button - "shoulders back - chewing gum - 5000 yard stare"... quite frankly it looks badly placed. He has played the panto villain twice now - away at anfield and away at Newcastle, getting involved with both sets of fans and allowing them into his "supposedly mentally tough" head.

He needs dropping and we as a club need to ask ourselves why a 25 year old keeper seems to be getting away with nonsense... can anyone imagine Roy Keane, VVD, Kompany, Viera, Peter Reid, tolerating that in their side?  That's why we are weak... we have no leaders - its like the whole mirallas penalty fiasco where he took it away from baines, its why Chelsea are struggling - allowing their keepers to stay on the pitch instead of hoofing him off.... remember when drogba tried to take a penno off Lampard?  Lampard, Terry and some other player told him under no certain terms what was happening.