Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, StevO said:

We’ve seen enough big injuries to our players over the years, McCarthy, Coleman, Gomes. The only time I’ve ever thought there was malice was Son, and I don’t think even he expected to hurt Gomes so much. 
We didn’t form a lynch mob and half of the press demand retrospective action. It was quite the opposite. 
I don’t for one minute think Jordan was trying to hurt him, accidents happen in contact sport. When Carragher is the voice of reason we are all in trouble. 
Seems you can do what you want to Everton, but you can’t hurt a Liverpool player. 

Its double standards, after Son injured Gomes, all the media were sympathising with Son and how all this impacted him. When Pickford inures Van Dijk commentators are ready to form lynch mobs. 

Yes it was a bad and reckless challenge, but there was no intent from Pickford, it was an unfortunate sporting incident. Pickford should have been sent off, but he was not, we lucked out, and lets face it were were due some luck after we have been on the wrong end of so many decisions. Its a damn tragedy that Van Dijk was injured and I hope he comes back stronger. 

I hope people remember it was an accident and treat Pickford the same way they treated Son. And we must be a family to him while this hate show runs its course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Player of the Season Young Player of the Season Players Player of the Season. Think someone had a top night at the Dixies! Deserves it aswell. The only player who can say he gave i

The lad is a superstar. A marketing dream, humble, down to earth and just loves his football. He has ten years at the top easily. I think he loves playing for us, he is on a serious wedge as he should

I do hope our fans are classy about VVD .... I know they sang songs about Coleman and his leg break but we are better than them. 

Posted Images

Completely agree that reckless challenges should have a harsher penalty but Pickford's wasn't reckless. You'd think as a keeper he'd be supporting him. To say Lucas Neill's challenge was the worst he's ever seen just proves he's a kopite. It's fucking awful but I've seen worse.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12108163/should-bans-match-length-of-injury-lay-offs

Mark Bosnich thinks punishments should be harsher for footballers who inflict a serious injury on an opponent due to reckless play

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, London Blue said:

Its double standards, after Son injured Gomes, all the media were sympathising with Son and how all this impacted him. When Pickford inures Van Dijk commentators are ready to form lynch mobs. 

Yes it was a bad and reckless challenge, but there was no intent from Pickford, it was an unfortunate sporting incident. Pickford should have been sent off, but he was not, we lucked out, and lets face it were were due some luck after we have been on the wrong end of so many decisions. Its a damn tragedy that Van Dijk was injured and I hope he comes back stronger. 

I hope people remember it was an accident and treat Pickford the same way they treated Son. And we must be a family to him while this hate show runs its course.

Son wasn't thrown to the wolves because we have class, even Gomes acknowledged that these tackles happen. Sure some fans had immediate reaction to our players comforting Son but that was heat of the moment stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Son wasn't thrown to the wolves because we have class, even Gomes acknowledged that these tackles happen. Sure some fans had immediate reaction to our players comforting Son but that was heat of the moment stuff.

Thats my point, both players didn't set out to hurt the other player. Its double standards because Pickford is being vilified by the media, where Son was supported.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna be honest as an American I didn’t see as much of the bias. But after this incident it’s clear it’s us against the world.  Thankfully we have a great squad manager and owner so I think we are well positioned.  But this has really opened my eyes.  I hope the lads enjoy their backs against the wall and use it to motivate them.  COYB

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great point made here in exactly the same vain here by the Villa supporters from something that happened 9 months ago: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-fans-say-same-19129561 I literally didn't even know this had happened and that's the point right? Absolutely h8 the press and their adoration, total biased view of the dark red side.

I will say I wish VVD a speedy recovery and that this is NOT me slagging off the LFC players (although I could), it's more about the pundits and the TV and the press in general absolutely loving to beast the arse that is this red cabbage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

"I think the player (Wesley) actually after it all calmed down said 'this is football and this is the way it goes' and there were no questions of anything other and nor should there be.

"It was a simple case really. Arguably one of the country's best referees gives a goal kick and VAR gives nothing.

"It is just a very unfortunate incident, I don't think people would be asking if the outcome wasn't that someone got injured, I think that is the truth of it.

"I think most people in football if there was no injury would be saying 'really good covering, really good defending and it being the honesty of a player doing a good job.'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-injuries-wesley-mee-17509437.amp

Just googled the Wesley/Mee one and this rings true. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got to say I'm really uncomfortable with the comparison of the Pickford and Son incidents.

Son isn't going for the ball, his whole intention was to kick Gomes because he had an angry head on. He'd gone after Iwobi moments before. He wanted to hurt someone as payback. Now, he didn't mean to dislocate Gomes' ankle. Of course he didn't. But he wasn't making an honest challenge for the ball. Whereas Pickford was doing what all goalkeepers do - he was making himself big to stop VVD scoring. You see it all the time and it's just bad luck that it went wrong for VVD. Pickford could quite easily have been the one on the end of the bad injury because they're both doing the same thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I've got to say I'm really uncomfortable with the comparison of the Pickford and Son incidents.

Son isn't gonig for the ball, his whole intention was to kick Gomes because he had an angry head on. He'd gone after Iwobi moments before. He wanted to hurt someone as payback. Now, he didn't mean to dislocate Gomes' ankle. Of course he didn't. But he wasn't making an honest challenge for the ball. Whereas Pickford was doing what all goalkeepers do - he was making himself big to stop VVD scoring. You see it all the time and it's just bad luck that it went wrong for VVD. Pickford could quite easily have been the one on the end of the bad injury because they're both doing the same thing.

I think the only comparisons are how the two have been treated differently, it’s clear one was being malicious and the other being just rubbish. But one is vilified and the other mollycoddled. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StevO said:

I think the only comparisons are how the two have been treated differently, it’s clear one was being malicious and the other being just rubbish. But one is vilified and the other mollycoddled. 

Nope, some have been saying neither went out to hurt the other player and were both honest challenges. That simply isn't the case.

The reality is that one deliberately set out for retribution (and has form for it) and the other is doing what all goalkeepers do during a game. It's not out of context of the game or situation.

Which makes the differing reactions to the incidents all the more of a piss take, but please don't compare the actual challenges. You're helping the narrative the media want to write by doing that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Opportunity for Ancellotti to use this to apply a bit of siege mentality to the team and Pickford. 

"You've got these nobheads riled, they don't want you doing well, fuck em.... look after eachother and that's it"

 

SAF loved stuff like this, used it as a weapon .... Cantona, Beckham, Keane. All got castigated by the press, he showed loyalty and earned their full commitment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Opportunity for Ancellotti to use this to apply a bit of siege mentality to the team and Pickford. 

"You've got these nobheads riled, they don't want you doing well, fuck em.... look after eachother and that's it"

 

SAF loved stuff like this, used it as a weapon .... Cantona, Beckham, Keane. All got castigated by the press, he showed loyalty and earned their full commitment. 

Spot on.

I was think very much along the same lines. 

I mentioned on Saturday, Pickford can look at satrudays desision as a turning point. If he had been sent off for seriouse foul play, then Olsen would have a four game run to try and take the no. 1 jersey.

Instead the Everton family, including us fan, really get fully behind Pickford, now that the rest of footballing world want to crucify him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RuffRob said:

Spot on.

I was think very much along the same lines. 

I mentioned on Saturday, Pickford can look at satrudays desision as a turning point. If he had been sent off for seriouse foul play, then Olsen would have a four game run to try and take the no. 1 jersey.

Instead the Everton family, including us fan, really get fully behind Pickford, now that the rest of footballing world want to crucify him. 

Don't get me wrong.... My concerns as to how the last minute goal went in hasn't gone.  His impulsivity is a big concern, the moments that he has are mind boggling 

Made an outstanding save but should have thrown his cap on Hendersons.   But ......

Not the time for all that at the moment.  He's being bullied by the press and has a young family and is getting threats etc.  Outrageous.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Gonna be honest as an American I didn’t see as much of the bias. But after this incident it’s clear it’s us against the world.  Thankfully we have a great squad manager and owner so I think we are well positioned.  But this has really opened my eyes.  I hope the lads enjoy their backs against the wall and use it to motivate them.  COYB

Here in the US, we see Reds mocking Blues all the time, through the presidency. But yes, Reds mock Blues in Britain, too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Nope, some have been saying neither went out to hurt the other player and were both honest challenges. That simply isn't the case.

The reality is that one deliberately set out for retribution (and has form for it) and the other is doing what all goalkeepers do during a game. It's not out of context of the game or situation.

Which makes the differing reactions to the incidents all the more of a piss take, but please don't compare the actual challenges. You're helping the narrative the media want to write by doing that.

Oh, I’ve not seen them comparisons. That’s bollocks, not the same intent at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, c1982 said:

Thought this myself when I saw it on SSN earlier.

That changes my perspective on it. I’m not happy VVD got injured but he squares that they score.

 

If someone is through 1v1 and Pickford makes him self big gets a toe on the ball and saves it but in the process goes through the man - I have no issue with that. 
 

Unfortunate that VVD got injured but look up his challenge on mertens last year for a good reference on winning the ball but following through. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pete0 said:

He got a good hand on it. The spin took the ball in, there was that much spin on it that the ball looped 6ft in the air first. Ridiculous to blame him for not stopping that.

Should have saved it.  Henderson barely got a full boot on it and hit across the ball.  The issue was the angle of the hand  - it was a ramp.

He made a top class save earlier and my point is a keeper who makes saves of that quality should not be making the fundamental errors he does.

That's the last I'm speaking of that, it's been and done. The goal was chalked off, he knew he should have done better based on his reaction.  We move on. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Should have saved it.  Henderson barely got a full boot on it and hit across the ball.  The issue was the angle of the hand  - it was a ramp.

Green also made reference to this saying Mina unsighted him and his dive was for a good connection so he actually dived past it due to Henderson scuffing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Should have saved it.  Henderson barely got a full boot on it and hit across the ball.  The issue was the angle of the hand  - it was a ramp.

He made a top class save earlier and my point is a keeper who makes saves of that quality should not be making the fundamental errors he does.

That's the last I'm speaking of that, it's been and done. The goal was chalked off, he knew he should have done better based on his reaction.  We move on. 

 

 

What was the error? He got a good connection on it, just the spin on the ball takes it in. 

Probably the same reaction we all had before it was ruled out! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was about to say this could be a serious injury for Pickford. Van Dijk picked the short straw here. Those who claim a keeper should not be doing such tackles, what was Pickford supposed to do? To put his head under Van Dijk's buttons?

Link to post
Share on other sites

In all seriousness I had a tackle 18 years ago playing as a ringer in the west Cheshire Prem.... The ref knew me from the gym and he worked for Everton.

15 minutes in a ball went between me and one of their players.... He took off 2 footed expecting me to shit out.  I was still pissed from the night before and went in higher than him ..... He went over the ball, I went over his feet...... Crunch.  

20 man brawl . .... I got a yellow card, player was carried off. The next 75 minutes was madness. 

I never got walked cos he gave me no other choice.  Lesson is, don't throw big challenges in if you can't accept consequences.

VVD likes to play the alpha male and he realises that others can do that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We all know he is a total w@nker but enough this is enough now!? This BS statement was made last night, LIVE on a prime time sports network and IS therefore libellous defamation, as it meets this criteria 'defamation is said to have occurred simply when a statement is made that lowers somebody’s opinion of your business or damages it as a result of hearing it'. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH MAN!!!
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, pete0 said:

122355211_238579547598243_36257579556497

 

Sorry I know we want to back up our player but that still really doesn't show what happened does it.  Pickford was not malicious in his intent but he lunged with both feet up and out towards the player and ball.

Van Dyke  was only heading in the direction of the ball, a ball that did not have another player near it at the time!

Pickford has put himself in the wrong position and in his head had to make that lunge and spread himself, he shouldn't have done it and that's that.  The media need to move on, he needs to move on and learn from that and the other mistakes he's been making recently and if he doesn't then he needs to find a comfy chair on the side lines and see what the Norwegian has to offer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FairWooney said:

Sorry I know we want to back up our player but that still really doesn't show what happened does it.  Pickford was not malicious in his intent but he lunged with both feet up and out towards the player and ball.

Van Dyke  was only heading in the direction of the ball, a ball that did not have another player near it at the time!

Pickford has put himself in the wrong position and in his head had to make that lunge and spread himself, he shouldn't have done it and that's that.  The media need to move on, he needs to move on and learn from that and the other mistakes he's been making recently and if he doesn't then he needs to find a comfy chair on the side lines and see what the Norwegian has to offer.

The issue though is not so much what happened on the pitch, anyone who understands football, understands that non malicious tackles / challenges happen every day and can result in career changing injuries as a result, it's a part of the game, unfortunately. Us Evertonians know, we've had our fair share, Gomes, Colman, Oviedo, Felliani (& this were only in recent times) the list goes on and on. Its the unfair treatment and as I mention the defamatory comments that are STILL being fired at us via the media, via washed up, idiotic ex-footie playing pundits like Merson and Souness.

Personally, I think we are at a juncture we're Everton as a club should come out and say enough is enough here, watch what you are saying in the press because we do have a legal team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FairWooney said:

Sorry I know we want to back up our player but that still really doesn't show what happened does it.  Pickford was not malicious in his intent but he lunged with both feet up and out towards the player and ball.

Van Dyke  was only heading in the direction of the ball, a ball that did not have another player near it at the time!

Pickford has put himself in the wrong position and in his head had to make that lunge and spread himself, he shouldn't have done it and that's that.  The media need to move on, he needs to move on and learn from that and the other mistakes he's been making recently and if he doesn't then he needs to find a comfy chair on the side lines and see what the Norwegian has to offer.

They're equal distance from the ball. Pickford made himself big and I'd rather him do what he did that just let vvd break his leg, because if that was a defender going in with an honest tackle that's what would have happened. Studs showing and leg fully extended, horrible bastard. Thing is if vvd made an honest effort he'd not have ended up with the injury he did either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StevO said:

No football club is going to take any legal action about things like this being said in the media. I’d be embarrassed if Everton did. We should do our talking on the pitch and nowhere else. Go and beat Southampton, then Newcastle and then United. Then let them talk about us. 
 

If any club would take legal action over that kind of thing, we all know which club it would be. 

if i could give you 100 up votes i would.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FairWooney said:

Sorry I know we want to back up our player but that still really doesn't show what happened does it.  Pickford was not malicious in his intent but he lunged with both feet up and out towards the player and ball.

Van Dyke  was only heading in the direction of the ball, a ball that did not have another player near it at the time!

Pickford has put himself in the wrong position and in his head had to make that lunge and spread himself, he shouldn't have done it and that's that.  The media need to move on, he needs to move on and learn from that and the other mistakes he's been making recently and if he doesn't then he needs to find a comfy chair on the side lines and see what the Norwegian has to offer.

I think people are showing that picture more in jest to be honest mate. Other than PeteO 😉

I don’t think there is more than 1% of us that don’t agree it’s a red card offence. 
 

But Everton fans are reacting to the way Liverpool fans have gone about this. It’s sad really, but our fans can be just as ridiculous as there’s at times 🙁

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shukes said:

I think people are showing that picture more in jest to be honest mate. Other than PeteO 😉

I don’t think there is more than 1% of us that don’t agree it’s a red card offence. 
 

But Everton fans are reacting to the way Liverpool fans have gone about this. It’s sad really, but our fans can be just as ridiculous as there’s at times 🙁

I agree with a lot of that, apart from the last line. No other, none, not one other, not a single club, ever has their fans be as ridiculous as Liverpool! Ever!! 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, StevO said:

I agree with a lot of that, apart from the last line. No other, none, not one other, not a single club, ever has their fans be as ridiculous as Liverpool! Ever!! 😂

That is true haha, it was more that our worst are equal to the best yet Liverpool fans 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

All the bile being spewed because 'plucky little Everton' have the nerve to upset the established order and be on top of the Prem.

makes you smile doesn't it!  everyone was all gung ho for Leicester because they knew they were drop back to obscurity within a decade.  Everton?  yeah, i don't think many will be rooting for us knowing we have belonged the whole while, just needed to get our shit together.  we have the fan base, new stadium coming, the elite are shitting themselves.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/10/2020 at 22:06, Bill said:

What a twat, what was that famous saying .........

"Let he who has never sinned cast the first stone".

What an absolute tosser.

It’s been their whole mentality. Utterly disgusting, even Jordan’s wife has been getting death threats and comments about their child. I’d be so embarrassed if anyone of us acted like that and even more so if the club didn’t come out and condemn the people making those comments.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

 I hope the media are happy now. I hope the likes of Klopp and Winnie the Pooh are pleased with themselves as well after they purposely stoked the flames.

Absolutely disgusting. More so that Liverpool haven't made any announcement or tried to distant themselves from these "fans". No ones personal life, family or mental health should be attacked like this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

They did the opposite of that and have trotted out people to say how terrible Pickford is. Their manager, their nobody sub keeper, their midfielder that doesn't seem to actually do anything in that side. 

The manager, in particular, could have come out and calmed that all down but instead he wanted to play the victim card. Their captain could have come out and said something. Not a peep. The player himself could have come out and said it was unfortunate incident but he knows it wasn't on purpose and these things happen, much like he did for a shitty tackle he put in against Napoli. Did he? Did he like shite.

I didn't think that club could go any further down in my opinion of them but they have. Everything that goes against them I'm going to love.

Very very true.

It's almost as if they want him destroyed.

Even the most blinkered kopite musnt think he tried to do him.   Very convenient to forget how clumsy they loved to call him after the derby and other mistakes......ah but  now he's a martial artist with bollocks made of steel that can crush a 6ft5 beasts ACL. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...