IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

We can get the best of both worlds if we (or rather Koeman and Walsh) are smart, by spending big bucks on quality players, but only those quality players that will fit in with the dressing room and not regard themselves (as Lukaku appears to) as being above the rest of the squad.

Spend big on quality TEAM players (Morgan as an example) and we can win, and win the Everton way.

Yes Rusty! My way of looking at it to.

Spend big on the players you need to, scrimp on the players you can afford to (Gana £7m, Sandro £5m). It'll balance itself out.

I get the reservations but this lad looks set to become a top keeper the type of which we couldn't sign of he was the finished article

We are buying ready made with massive potential that's the difference for me between Pickford and Robles who I don't think has much more room for improvement whereas Pickford imo will go on to become a world beater

Edited by EFC-Paul

How many trophies have we won with shit goalkeepers?

How many leagues have been won with shit goalkeepers?

The fact is - like we seen with Bobby mimms coming in for an injured southall... a goalkeeper is more than just about making saves... it's organisation... giving the defence confidence, distribution.

It's clear Robles despite making some good saves and good performances doesnt have it between the ears... neither does stek.

By all accounts this kid is the real deal - we are making a ballsy move. Let's fuckin applaud the club for doing something like this.

He's better than Joel plain and simple, if you did a poll for the top six sides and asked there respective fans who they would want Pickford or Robles it would be a massive landslide in favour of Pickford

I'm not being harsh on Robles he did an OK job but to me personally it's glaringly obvious who's better

Edited by EFC-Paul

He's better than Joel plain and simple, if you did a poll for the top six sides and asked there respective fans who they would want Pickford or Robles it would be a massive landslide in favour of Pickford

I'm not being harsh on Robles he did an OK job but to me personally it's glaringly obvious who's better

I don't get it. Objective stats reveal that Robles is one of the best keepers in the league. This decision appears to be more about emotions and relationships than anything else.

interesting, but as you said not really meaningful (enough at least)

I think the most we can take from this is that Joel may not as poor as many believe he is and that we will only know how good Pickford can be if he has a chance to play for a good team (or, alternatively, if he had a few more seasons under his belt, giving us a larger sample size).

£30m (or whatever) is a big risk. I just hope that our scouting system has analyzed the shit out of Pickford's limited tapes to identify his good qualities and which things he will need to improve. Hopefully, we are going about this smartly and have a clear idea of how to make him into a keeper worthy of the price tag.

We could buy 9 Steve Simonsens for the fee being touted.

I like Pickford a lot, but £30million is an obscene amount for a player who had one good season in a shite team.

Surely we could have got or still get Hart, Begovic, Butland or Forster for that kind of cash.

I don't get it. Objective stats reveal that Robles is one of the best keepers in the league. This decision appears to be more about emotions and relationships than anything else.

It shows the weakness in stats versus watching the player though.

We watch him week in , week out and it's plain as day he is average.

I always remember him being mentioned as MoM after a clean sheet. Yet the stats in the match showed that we never received a shot on target.

In that respect, your dead right. People form their opinions out of emotion rather than anything else.

One group will be right, one will be wrong. But if Robles is so good then it doesn't matter as Pickford will be a very good second choice.

I think the most we can take from this is that Joel may not as poor as many believe he is and that we will only know how good Pickford can be if he has a chance to play for a good team (or, alternatively, if he had a few more seasons under his belt, giving us a larger sample size).

£30m (or whatever) is a big risk. I just hope that our scouting system has analyzed the shit out of Pickford's limited tapes to identify his good qualities and which things he will need to improve. Hopefully, we are going about this smartly and have a clear idea of how to make him into a keeper worthy of the price tag.

best explanation so far

It shows the weakness in stats versus watching the player though.

We watch him week in , week out and it's plain as day he is average.

I always remember him being mentioned as MoM after a clean sheet. Yet the stats in the match showed that we never received a shot on target.

In that respect, your dead right. People form their opinions out of emotion rather than anything else.

One group will be right, one will be wrong. But if Robles is so good then it doesn't matter as Pickford will be a very good second choice.

It's sad, but Robles is as good a gone now. Seriously, we wouldn't pay the highest fee ever in England for a goalkeeper only for him to sit on the bench.

A lot of my mates are sunderland st holders and have been raving about him for ages. I'll be made up if we complete it. Think he'll go on to be a world class keeper. He's already better than what we've had in ages. Both big nev and Peter Shilton have said he's worth the money and they know a thing or two about keeping.

Stats hardly ever paint a true picture for a multitude of reasons

I've judged him on watching them both not with emotion why would I have emotion towards him? You're making me blush Steve ?

On a serious note though the lad is a talent and I'll put a wager on now that this lad will go on to become a fantastic/top level keeper

best explanation so far

Thank you, sir.

Personally, I'd rather we bought someone proven at keeper if we're going to buy a number 1 at all. This is a lot of money to throw at potential in a position where stability is all too important.

That said, if we do buy him, I hope he becomes the next Neville Southall and stays with us for the duration of his prime years.

Yeah Neville Southall has thrown his hat in the ring.... he really rates him.

That in itself is good enough for me.... the man had ridiculous standards. He identified pickford a month or so ago.

I honestly think people forget just how much a solid goalie improves the team.

A top goalie will save you an extra 15 to 20 goals a season.... people have no problem spending £40m plus on a striker that gets that many .... so why not spend £30m in a goalie that can save you that many.

Yeah Neville Southall has thrown his hat in the ring.... he really rates him.

That in itself is good enough for me.... the man had ridiculous standards. He identified pickford a month or so ago.

I honestly think people forget just how much a solid goalie improves the team.

A top goalie will save you an extra 15 to 20 goals a season.... people have no problem spending £40m plus on a striker that gets that many .... so why not spend £30m in a goalie that can save you that many.

I'd question 15-20 goals a season; that's saving a goal every other game. More like 5-10, I would say, but I take your point.

From what I read last night I thought it was 18m initial fee with the potential to rise to 30m depedning on league positions, trophies e.t.c

Basically, if he is the lad in between the sticks when we finish top 4 or lift a trophy, it will be 30m well spent. Otherwise 18m isn't a bad price for a future star. Look at what City paid for their keeper after all.

Made up with this if it goes through. Forget the money - all transfer prices are hyper inflated following the ludicrous last TV deal, and guess what, we've got a money man behind us.

This lad is rated as a real talent, with Hart finished and Heaton/Forster not quite good enough, it will be a straight shoot out between him and Butland for England No 1 jersey for next ten years. I liked Paul Simpson's comments about him, who had him on loan at Preston - he's a winner, an organiser, confident, a presence in the dressing room. Everyone saw his talent in some of his performances for a dire Sunderland team last season, but mentality is what we're paying for, especially with a keeper. I'm with Haf all the way - world class keepers win you things. We don't know if he's world class yet, but isn't that what we brought Walsh in for, to be able to pick them?

If you've an ounce of common sense you will understand that the fee's for players have risen dramatically, without sounding pompous if people can't comprehend something so simple then I couldn't care less what they think tbh

Plus it's been widely reported the fee is £18m with add ons so I'd wait until the club release official figures before people's heads fall off

Edited by EFC-Paul

If you've an ounce of common sense you will understand that the fee's for players have risen dramatically, If people can't comprehend something so simple then I couldn't care less what they think tbh

Plus it's been widely reported the fee is £18m with add ons so I'd wait until the club release official figures before people's heads fall off

There's every chance it'll be an undisclosed fee. I hate those.