IGNORED

Wayne Rooney

My grandma grew up in Pittsburgh. She still says "yinz."

my brother lives there (and has for 15 years), i was just there this last weekend. That is such a funny phrase because it's only used in the Pittsburgh area (that i know of, maybe WV too?). I love how the midwest/atlantic region everyone thinks they don't have an accent (my hometown of cleveland taking the prize there). This article is what i used to prove to my parents when i moved back that they had an accent (after living in the south for a while i have a little twang/use y'all, they swore cleveland has no accent, i win).

https://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/the-origins-and-evolution-of-the-cleveland-accent-yes-you-have-an-accent-cleveland/Content?oid=4949852

my brother lives there (and has for 15 years), i was just there this last weekend. That is such a funny phrase because it's only used in the Pittsburgh area (that i know of, maybe WV too?). I love how the midwest/atlantic region everyone thinks they don't have an accent (my hometown of cleveland taking the prize there). This article is what i used to prove to my parents when i moved back that they had an accent (after living in the south for a while i have a little twang/use y'all, they swore cleveland has no accent, i win).

https://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/the-origins-and-evolution-of-the-cleveland-accent-yes-you-have-an-accent-cleveland/Content?oid=4949852

Yup. I've always called it the "Great Lakes accent." The most characteristic sound is really hard "A"s. My (soon to be -ex) wife is from Syracuse. There's no difference in pronunciation when she says the name "Al" and the word "ale." Both sound like "ale."

The weirdest thing is how my hometown, Erie, PA, lacks both this accent (found to the east and west in Cleveland and Buffalo) and the Pittsburgh accent (directly to the south). Historical settlement patterns weren't that much different, other than a surprisingly large percentage of settlers coming from Connecticut. Wherever I go in the states, people inevitably make a comment about how I don't have an accent or have a "Hollywood accent." It's strange.

Yup. I've always called it the "Great Lakes accent." The most characteristic sound is really hard "A"s. My (soon to be -ex) wife is from Syracuse. There's no difference in pronunciation when she says the name "Al" and the word "ale." Both sound like "ale."

The weirdest thing is how my hometown, Erie, PA, lacks both this accent (found to the east and west in Cleveland and Buffalo) and the Pittsburgh accent (directly to the south). Historical settlement patterns weren't that much different, other than a surprisingly large percentage of settlers coming from Connecticut. Wherever I go in the states, people inevitably make a comment about how I don't have an accent or have a "Hollywood accent." It's strange.

sorry to hear about the divorce, hope you're doing alright through it. Ale, wow what a perfect summation of the accent in one word. yep that's it! That's great you don't have the accent, since mine is gone from living down south it drives me wild hearing the nasally A sound all the time. it's almost Wisconsin-esque or it sounds like the mom from the old cartoon "Bobby's World" i used to watch as a kid.

sorry to hear about the divorce, hope you're doing alright through it. Ale, wow what a perfect summation of the accent in one word. yep that's it! That's great you don't have the accent, since mine is gone from living down south it drives me wild hearing the nasally A sound all the time. it's almost Wisconsin-esque or it sounds like the mom from the old cartoon "Bobby's World" i used to watch as a kid.

Provided other teams go by the same principle them fair enough... otherwise do the same or get treated like soft lads.

You mean, if the other teams follow the rules? I just made a point about the FA in the other thread, same goes here.

You mean, if the other teams follow the rules? I just made a point about the FA in the other thread, same goes here.

Either way Matt... but I'm not prepared to watch our players turn the other cheek and get some bonus pats on the back for being nice lads when other teams influence the ref.

We've been a soft touch for too long. Let the fa sort it... till then we argue the toss like the rest do

Either way Matt... but I'm not prepared to watch our players turn the other cheek and get some bonus pats on the back for being nice lads when other teams influence the ref.

We've been a soft touch for too long. Let the fa sort it... till then we argue the toss like the rest do

This is were we will disagree; it's far too easy to go along with the norm and ignore the rules. Probably the main reason I love this club is because we respect the rules of the game.

Maybe a good way to compromise in opinion, is to borrow from Madness's lyrics from the song "Baggy Trousers"; All I learnt from school is how to bend, not break the rules

This is were we will disagree; it's far too easy to go along with the norm and ignore the rules. Probably the main reason I love this club is because we respect the rules of the game.

Maybe a good way to compromise in opinion, is to borrow from Madness's lyrics from the song "Baggy Trousers"; All I learnt from school is how to bend, not break the rules

I want our captain to moan for consistency from the refs, and the whole club be more vocal to change the corruption in the FA, and enforce rules such as only the captain can talk to the ref and consistency for dissent.

I don't want us to cheat to get more decisions. I want more pens because they should've been given. Jagielka makes it too easy for the ref not to make the tough decision.

Fucking colonials.

Ok that made me laugh! A few more of us, and we will have y'all driving on the other side of the road in no time!

I'd love for Everton to do a US tour, I'd make the road trip if they came within 500 miles of Alabama. Drove 7 hours a couple years ago to take my youngest daughter see her beloved Chelsea (bad parenting, I know) play PSG. At least Atlanta has a team now that's only 3 hours a way, and a great atmosphere. But I'd love to Everton try to push their brand more in the US, especially right now when interest in English football is growing massively.

Rooney is a great PR boost even over here, but it would be huge if we could sign a prominent US player. There is talent coming up, but there are just not many American players of EPL quality right now. Yedlin at Newcastle, Cameron at Stoke, John Brooks at Wolfsburg and of course Pulisic.

I want our captain to moan for consistency from the refs, and the whole club be more vocal to change the corruption in the FA, and enforce rules such as only the captain can talk to the ref and consistency for dissent.

I don't want us to cheat to get more decisions. I want more pens because they should've been given. Jagielka makes it too easy for the ref not to make the tough decision.

This.

At the start of last year they said that if more that two players (presume captain and the offended player) crowded the ref, cards would be issued to players crowding the ref. I am totally in favor of this, when 5-6 players get in a refs face after a call/no call, every damn one should be booked.

Just as an aside, it drives me nuts when our players kick the ball out of play for an injured opposition player to receive treatment. More often than not the player is playacting, and even if he's not it's up to the ref to halt play, not our players. We're too nice, and the few times we've played on hearing the boos from the opposition fans is fucking glorious

Just as an aside, it drives me nuts when our players kick the ball out of play for an injured opposition player to receive treatment. More often than not the player is playacting, and even if he's not it's up to the ref to halt play, not our players. We're too nice, and the few times we've played on hearing the boos from the opposition fans is fucking glorious

Couldn't agree more. Often a team plays on when their own team member is injured and they're in possession. The minute they loose possession they scream to kick it out. Sod that. Let the ref stop it or else carry on.

We've needed this pain in the backside that doesnt let the ref get an easy ride for too long.

Some fans may be against it but I'm not. Been soft touches for too long.

I can't open the link but I presume it's about Rooney having a go at the ref.

As far as I am concerned if Rooney is feiry and feisty he will be the exact player we need and more like the Rooney you of old so I'm all for it!

"I think with his body he needs to be working at high intensity every day, every month, so I think he deserves that respect from us as if you want to go we have to make it easy for you to go."

I said something about this when he was 17.... playing for us. At a young age he was the type of lad who would get rusty if he had a game or 2 out. He gets better when hes worked hard and played hard.

Hes a strong lad who puts on 3 pound just looking at a burger. Of he plays every game for at least a half he will be top notch.

I'm expecting big things.

18 goals this season.

Me too, the football equivalent of "dancing like no ones watching".

Also, I might be getting carried away with the romance of it.

He will give us a presence up front - a quick brain and an ability to retain the ball that we haven't had in a while.

It may not mean a pacey player who plays on the shoulder - it will be more of a player who will bring the AM's in and we will see more goals shared around.