IGNORED

Davy Klaassen

I'm not gonna give up on him but watching him this season makes me think why we got rid of Naismith. 

They have all the same attributes but the difference is Naismith put his foot in.

8 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Wouldn't be the first Dutch superstar to flop in this league but it's night and day different to the dutch league.

He is a tidy player and possibly needs a year.... but that means limited game time like mikheterian.  He's not a centre midfielder. Don't understand buying him and siggurdson

I actually agree with you on this Haf. Not sure how we benefit from having him and Siggy and Rooney... Unless we envision phasing Rooney out by the time Klaassen has fully adapted to the league in the next year or two....

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It's not the struggle to cope with the speed of play that worries me. It's not that he shits out of challenges that worries me. It's him barely even touching the ball that worries me.

He's always trying to get in space and calling for the ball just we have a crap midfield duo who only look for the easiest sideways option. Rooney looks for him and they play well together in tight spaces albeit only a few times a game. 

5 minutes ago, pete0 said:

He's always trying to get in space and calling for the ball just we have a crap midfield duo who only look for the easiest sideways option. Rooney looks for him and they play well together in tight spaces albeit only a few times a game. 

Is there anything you won't blame on Morgan and Gana? :lol: 

I see him stand around looking lost. I don't see him calling for much at all.

59 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Its not a problem when they are playing with Davies... strange that

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

It's not the struggle to cope with the speed of play that worries me. It's not that he shits out of challenges that worries me. It's him barely even touching the ball that worries me.

To me it looks like he is off the pace. A move behind where he needs to be, half a yard away from where he should be winning the challenge easily rather than having the option to bottle out of it.

4 minutes ago, Bailey said:

To me it looks like he is off the pace. A move behind where he needs to be, half a yard away from where he should be winning the challenge easily rather than having the option to bottle out of it.

This for me too.  I watched one sequence yesterday where he was even with a man who just received the ball and he went to run him down (was a midfielder the guy wasn't fast) and he was a yard off the whole time, he couldn't catch him.

i think he needs to learn positional discipline more ala Barry if he doesn't have pace and try and always be reading the game.

1 minute ago, pete0 said:

Sure you're not mistaking him for Sigurdssen? 

No. I actually think Sigurdsson is almost there. The last two games he has been very close to making a pass, getting a final shot off, which I would expect him to when he is fully settled. 

At the moment I don't see anything from Klassen and unlike Siggy, I think he looks worse with every game he is playing. 

49 minutes ago, Bailey said:

No. I actually think Sigurdsson is almost there. The last two games he has been very close to making a pass, getting a final shot off, which I would expect him to when he is fully settled. 

At the moment I don't see anything from Klassen and unlike Siggy, I think he looks worse with every game he is playing. 

Klaassen has got a couple of assists (I think). His movement was crucial for the first goal of the season. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2017 at 21:12, markjazzbassist said:

I hope he plays Thursday.  I want to see if he can be a solution to our midfield problems.  He has good passing ability and link up play and can press, let’s hope Thursday is a breakthrough for him.

Wishful thinking didn't help. The confidence level of some of our players right now.  So frustrating.

7 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

he started out the game well, pressing and running and being a nuisance, linked up on a couple of nice attacks, but by 30 minutes he had faded into obscurity for the rest of the match.

Lack of our midfield's ability to keep the ball does not help skillful players like Klaassen. 

I agree with LB 

I think he's a good player far better than many perceive him to be atm, if he came into the side last season which was far more balanced in place of say Barkley we would have seen a totally different player imo 

I think it's hard to judge him and Sigurdsson on how shite and disjointed we've been 

I love the optimism of some of you lot. But please, he did fuck all deserving of praise on Thursday, as he has done every time he has played. He is completely out of his depth physically, and positionally he is simply dreadful. All I can think is that the Dutch league must be so poor it doesn't matter how he moves, he always found himself in space. I watched him very carefully on Thursday and I saw a player who did not know how to move to show for the ball. He might have skill with the ball at his feet, but it's useless at the top level unless you have the intelligence to move where you can use it. And that is not the team's fault, that is in my opinion a gaping flaw in his game. 

A skillful player coming from a team that reached the Europa cup final, moves to a new league, new way of playing in a team that cant keep the ball and is playing without confidence or form - what were we expecting?

Same is true for Sandro, these players take time at the best of times to adapt to the premier league. Playing for us at the moment it's almost impossible to make a successful transition. 

I liked him pre- season, but I watched him very closely against United in the Europa league final knowing we might get him. The lad went hiding. Not creating an angle for a pass, not showing for the ball. Fella I was there to man mark him and he did it easily. Theres a player in there he just needs to grow a set and get stuck in 

Just now, London Blue said:

True, but its a much more physical league here and players need time to adapt to it.

I'm not denying that, but there's adapting and then there's simply not being athletic enough to cope. I also don't think he has it mentally, as Finn says it's visible how he goes hiding and either doesn't know how to or doesn't want to show for a pass. I'm not sure they are things you can coach into a 25 year old.