IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

When I was a kid my dad was the only one that worked until I got to about 12 and my mum took an evening cleaning job in the local hospital, we never had a lot compared to the kids of today, but I don’t remember a feeling of going without because everyone around you were pretty much in the same position, but I know my parents struggled most weeks to make sure we ate properly and had coal for the winter, for the basics really but it was the same for most so I never new how hard it was for them sometimes, they told me when I was older how difficult it was at times. 
I think that’s what made Christmas so special bar your birthday it was the only real time you knew you were going to get something special, but I look at the kids these days and for most it’s like Christmas most weeks. 
My point being you were financially worse off in the 60s and 70s you had money to live and not much more, these days people have money to spend on entertainment and frivolous items, which would have been an unknown for many years ago now it’s the domain of everyone nearly and even if you don’t work. 

On 12/10/2019 at 22:47, Bailey said:

Labour want to spend a hell of a lot of money. 

If Labour get in power then I hope we are still in the EU as I would seriously have to think about seeking work on the continent. Everything will look rosy for about 6-12 months and then the whole thing will implode. 

I think you’re find the Tories have also promised to spend big with billions being pumped into the economy after Brexit, and other vote buying promises. 
It’s not all one way traffic when it comes to electioneering never has been and never will be. 
I might see you in Spain in a couple of years then😀

Another thing that has wound me up in recent days. The fact I may have to relocate back to the UK when I don’t want to (not a result of Brexit) has been further harder to take as I found out that because my personal pension fund, which I’ve paid into for nearly 15 years, will be taxed as a foreign income and I would lose 50% of it just on bringing it, and nearly the rest back paying National Insurance (which isn’t something I’m against, I’m just surprised that it’s so much with so little if anything in return). So, not only would I move back to a country that I was denied a voice in over its future, I lose what is basically all my future savings. 

17 hours ago, Palfy said:

I think you’re find the Tories have also promised to spend big with billions being pumped into the economy after Brexit, and other vote buying promises. 
It’s not all one way traffic when it comes to electioneering never has been and never will be. 
I might see you in Spain in a couple of years then😀

Haha no it isn't but the type of Tory spending is very different and far less than Labours.

I don't really agree with the Tory pledges either, they seem counterintuitive to me aimed at taking the centre ground rather than forming a clear economic plan. 

I will probably end up in Sevilla or Valencia if I do! 

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Another thing that has wound me up in recent days. The fact I may have to relocate back to the UK when I don’t want to (not a result of Brexit) has been further harder to take as I found out that because my personal pension fund, which I’ve paid into for nearly 15 years, will be taxed as a foreign income and I would lose 50% of it just on bringing it, and nearly the rest back paying National Insurance (which isn’t something I’m against, I’m just surprised that it’s so much with so little if anything in return). So, not only would I move back to a country that I was denied a voice in over its future, I lose what is basically all my future savings. 

Thats madness and that's even before Labour get into power! 😂

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Haha no it isn't but the type of Tory spending is very different and far less than Labours.

Everyone bar the rich are worse off for it, including national debt that has doubled(?). Austerity just doesn't work for a county. It's strangled the life out us. 

Basic economics, it takes money to make money. The more people have to spend the more money that will cycle. Only problem is controlling inflation. 

The majority is on nationalising the basics that will over time give a surplus. Like wise infrastructure is the biggest key in attracting investment, as well as allowing people to cycle the money around the whole country rather than bubbles. Our transport is embarrassing, to the point one of my highlights when visiting Hong Kong was how reliable, convenient and quick their public transport was, affordable too! Tories have absolutely took the piss out of the country with the only benefit being the upper echelon. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Thought the tories wanted a GE...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50199682

Now who's scared Boris?

He’s a liar of the highest degree and treats his peers and equals with contempt. 
He is trying his hardest to push a no deal through, all that will do his please the likes of Rusty and there far right views, and those like Rusty again who will never feel the consequences of such a disastrous decision.

He brokered a deal worse than Mays simply because he wants it kicked out so he can no deal, luckily for the people of this country the majority of our elected MPs are still sensible enough to look after the best interest of their constituents. 

"If you’re just joining us - MPs in the House of Commons are debating the government’s bill to hold an early general election on 12 December.

Earlier, they changed the rules to ensure MPs could propose amendments to the bill later this evening.

The government had tried to ensure that only ministers would be able to change the legislation.

This means backbenchers could try to amend the bill to ensure 16 and 17-year-olds and EU citizens with settled status are able to take part.

However, it’s not clear yet whether these amendments will be selected for a vote.

The government says it will pull the bill if it’s amended to extend the franchise in this way, with a No 10 spokesman saying it would create a six-month delay."

Sorry Matt.

24 minutes ago, MikeO said:

"If you’re just joining us - MPs in the House of Commons are debating the government’s bill to hold an early general election on 12 December.

Earlier, they changed the rules to ensure MPs could propose amendments to the bill later this evening.

The government had tried to ensure that only ministers would be able to change the legislation.

This means backbenchers could try to amend the bill to ensure 16 and 17-year-olds and EU citizens with settled status are able to take part.

However, it’s not clear yet whether these amendments will be selected for a vote.

The government says it will pull the bill if it’s amended to extend the franchise in this way, with a No 10 spokesman saying it would create a six-month delay."

Sorry Matt.

Don’t worry mate. For a GE I’ve always said I shouldn’t get a say. If it was a referendum then these extensions should absolutely be made so all “the people” can have a say. That said, my case isn’t covered by those 2 amendments anyway. I’ll continue to live in the taxation without representation loophole unless we move back and lose all my savings and pension in the process. 

Matt I may as well not have a vote I live in the Tory heartland, but I will still vote tactically for LibDems in the hope there are a lot of disillusioned Tories, and so the logical way to go would be to vote LibDem because no matter how disillusioned they are they would not vote Labour.

11 hours ago, Palfy said:

Matt I may as well not have a vote I live in the Tory heartland, but I will still vote tactically for LibDems in the hope there are a lot of disillusioned Tories, and so the logical way to go would be to vote LibDem because no matter how disillusioned they are they would not vote Labour.

But you do have a vote and are using it as you like ;) 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

But you do have a vote and are using it as you like ;) 

True but still disillusioned by my circumstances, proportional representation has to be the way forward, so people like me feel their voice counts, instead of just pissing in the wind. 

Any way changing the subject how are things going your end, hope they are looking a bit more positive. 

11 minutes ago, Palfy said:

True but still disillusioned by my circumstances, proportional representation has to be the way forward, so people like me feel their voice counts, instead of just pissing in the wind. 

Any way changing the subject how are things going your end, hope they are looking a bit more positive. 

I’ve had some offers, might not have to move immediately but we will. Hopefully have enough savings to stay 3-4 months, ideally until the end of the school year, to find something otherwise we’re kind stumped. Just trying to stay positive 

12 hours ago, Palfy said:

Did get turned down by 2 jobs within the EU today though, because “they need someone sooner”. Read into that what you want

15 minutes ago, Matt said:

Did get turned down by 2 jobs within the EU today though, because “they need someone sooner”. Read into that what you want

Sadly they are going to tar us all with the same brush, because it’s easier. 
The face of Brexit I’m afraid, as a country we haven’t really endeared ourselves to the rest of the EU with some of the rhetoric from some of the Brexiteer politicians. 

Keep grinding away mate I’m sure it will pay off in the end, I’m a great believer in the harder you try the luckier you become 👍

On 15/10/2019 at 00:27, pete0 said:

Everyone bar the rich are worse off for it, including national debt that has doubled(?). Austerity just doesn't work for a county. It's strangled the life out us. 

Basic economics, it takes money to make money. The more people have to spend the more money that will cycle. Only problem is controlling inflation. 

The majority is on nationalising the basics that will over time give a surplus. Like wise infrastructure is the biggest key in attracting investment, as well as allowing people to cycle the money around the whole country rather than bubbles. Our transport is embarrassing, to the point one of my highlights when visiting Hong Kong was how reliable, convenient and quick their public transport was, affordable too! Tories have absolutely took the piss out of the country with the only benefit being the upper echelon. 

I agree that the austerity package from the Tories hasn't worked. It was better when the Lib Dems were also in govt but the problem was the cut and cut without providing any stimulus. There was no encouragement in government policy. The only good things were to increase the lower tax bracket and cut corporate tax. A lot more should have been done.

I disagree that nationalising will improve services. In fact I have absolutely zero confidence that Labour could achieve better outcomes privately than they could using well sourced private operators. I do think some things should be government and council run rather than privately subsidised but on the whole nationalisation will cost a significant amount of money and is unlikely to make things better. FWIW public transport has long been  a problem in this country, long before the Tories were in power!

The key difference between true Tory policy and Corbyn policy is that the former should aim to encourage everyone achieve and raise standards from the bottom to the top whereas the latter aims to take from the top and bring them closer to the bottom. Just look at how much these trade union bosses are on! 

20 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I agree that the austerity package from the Tories hasn't worked. It was better when the Lib Dems were also in govt but the problem was the cut and cut without providing any stimulus. There was no encouragement in government policy. The only good things were to increase the lower tax bracket and cut corporate tax. A lot more should have been done.

I disagree that nationalising will improve services. In fact I have absolutely zero confidence that Labour could achieve better outcomes privately than they could using well sourced private operators. I do think some things should be government and council run rather than privately subsidised but on the whole nationalisation will cost a significant amount of money and is unlikely to make things better. FWIW public transport has long been  a problem in this country, long before the Tories were in power!

The key difference between true Tory policy and Corbyn policy is that the former should aim to encourage everyone achieve and raise standards from the bottom to the top whereas the latter aims to take from the top and bring them closer to the bottom. Just look at how much these trade union bosses are on! 

The decrease in corporation tax is a negative, the country is worse off for it (national debt has soured under the tories) with the only people benefiting betting the rich getting richer. Lower tax bracket always goes up each year and has minimal effect to people's lives, £10 a month with lower than inflation pay rises mean most people are earning less than they were 10 years ago. 

Sounds great in theory but as you can see from our public services they are just a means for rich to exploit and the burden remains with the public. Train companies have absolutely took the piss as have the water and energy. The only real difference in public and private is private are more ruthless at cost cutting as they need to make a profit. The difference between our public transport and the cost compared to other first world countries is disgusting. What other country has private 'public' transport?

Sounds like a sound bite from the 80s. Look at the whole picture. The rich have taken from the poor via worse and worse employment rights. Sainsbury's make 100s of million profit yet fought to make their employees worse off for the sake of more profit. It's disgusting, and the worse thing is our parliament sanctioned it. Just happens Sainsbury's are a massive tory contributor and their shit low houred contracts help fudge the employment rate figures but maybe that's all just coincidence. A country should do what's best for its people, the tories simply do not. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Sadly they are going to tar us all with the same brush, because it’s easier. 
The face of Brexit I’m afraid, as a country we haven’t really endeared ourselves to the rest of the EU with some of the rhetoric from some of the Brexiteer politicians. 

Keep grinding away mate I’m sure it will pay off in the end, I’m a great believer in the harder you try the luckier you become 👍

Even knowing there’s a 2 year transition, companies are already getting antsy. They want me in the UK too, but for 15 years of savings. It’s a joke.