IGNORED

Theo Walcott

Is he that good of a finisher (not just in the team as Shukes says but generally)? I thought he was when he was at Arsenal but I think he has been a little disappointing in that regard too.

I actually think his general work rate is good and that is the thing that has impressed me about him. He almost always gets back into position and defends his "zone" but he then doesnt commit to tracking his man or put a tackle in. The latter I kind of understand given his injury record.

He does remind me a lot of Lukaku in the way he plays. Walcott covers a lot more ground but he plays within himself a lot and you will get the same arguments regarding production and attitude. Regardless of whatever I think about his attitude though he is still one of the best 4 attackers in the side (those that played at the weekend) but IMO his place is the most up for grabs.

29 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He’s a shit finisher. I don’t know where that misconception comes from. He needs 3 or 4 chances to put one away. 

Granted, when he does score they’re usually nice finishes. 

On the weekend, that turn on the half volley was incredible - then the finish was the easy part and he rolled it down the middle. Would have been an incredible goal mind you.

I don’t really understand the shouts about his attitude. He’s an aggressive winger who’s asked to use his pace to get in behind and stretch defences quite often during a game; of course he’s not always going to be able to get back to help out in defence, but he still does his fair share. 

My bigger issue with him is always going to be his lack of technique and, to a lesser extent, his finishing/final ball. But I still think the positives definitely out balance the negatives and, worst comes to worst, he’s still an excellent impact sub off the bench. 

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

As far as wingers go, what is his goal scoring record like!

Is it as bad as people make out? 

Off the top of my head only the city and Liverpool wingers plus Hazard are notably better. Without checking the stats for all them I'd reckon he's in the top 10 if you factor for the minutes played, as he's 70 goals (plus 48 assists) in 272 games makes him one in four which is really good. His contribution is more than any winger we've had in the last 20 years. 

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

Off the top of my head only the city and Liverpool wingers plus Hazard are notably better. Without checking the stats for all them I'd reckon he's in the top 10 if you factor for the minutes played, as he's 70 goals (plus 48 assists) in 272 games makes him one in four which is really good. His contribution is more than any winger we've had in the last 20 years.  

My thought's exsactly. Walcott has his flaws but the numbers he has speaks for itself. 118 combined in 272 is a great record for a winger and those goals/assists will be valuable for us. It works out a contribution every 2.3 games, great stuff. 

20 hours ago, Bill said:

Unless they play Theo as the striker, it's what he's always wanted.

He definitely fancied that role at Arsenal so I guess he does here, but to be fair to him he plays regularly for us which he didn't at Arsenal and I think as long as he's in the team he's happy.

2 hours ago, Aidan said:

My thought's exsactly. Walcott has his flaws but the numbers he has speaks for itself. 118 combined in 272 is a great record for a winger and those goals/assists will be valuable for us. It works out a contribution every 2.3 games, great stuff. 

That's cos those stats weren't always as a winger. He had a fair old number of games as a striker. 

2 hours ago, hafnia said:

That's cos those stats weren't always as a winger. He had a fair old number of games as a striker. 

Was thinking about this the other day and I can't actually remember him playing that many games as an out and out striker. I may be wrong though.

54 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Was thinking about this the other day and I can't actually remember him playing that many games as an out and out striker. I may be wrong though.

don't you remember when he said he wouldn't sign a new contract unless he was playing CF.  he was a major moaner at arsenal, part of the reason i didn't want him.  

35 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

don't you remember when he said he wouldn't sign a new contract unless he was playing CF.  he was a major moaner at arsenal, part of the reason i didn't want him.  

Living in Gooner Land, most of the fans liked Theo, they just thought he was not consistent enough to be a striker, and suffered too many injuries.

He was not one of the moaners like Ozil.

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

Where did that comment about Nasri come from? Has there been interest, because I haven't seen it. It seemed a rather random comment with which to close the article.

Daily mail article ran with it in the rumourama thread. Is odd that it's just plonked at the bottom of that article though. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Getting absolutely roasted on sky.  Rightly so.  

At fault for both goals. Shocking attitude. 

i think you and I Haf have been the only ones who haven't been enamored with him.  glad others are catching on.  

he needs to be benched immediately.  play lookman and DCL and anyone over him.