IGNORED

Sportsmanship. Is There Any Room For It In Soccer?

ok. what if he did see it? should he have said anything?

is there room for sportsmanship in soccer?

46300[/snapback]

No he should say nothing. Referees and linesmen are there to make those decisions, we all know that no player will own up to anything thats going to go against his team, and if you ever played a game of football WITHOUT a referee, it would soon descend into utter chaos.

Lets get off the refs backs, they will make a few dodgy decisions but we need them , and i wouldnt like to do the job.

Licker.

It's a tough one to answer, considering how much money is involved. It's the ref & assistants job to make the decisions, which with all the camera's at each game, is bloody hard as every mistake is shown 1000's of times. Saying that I will always applaud any sportsmanship, even if it went against us. Remember DiCanio

It's a tough one to answer, considering how much money is involved. It's the ref & assistants job to make the decisions, which with all the camera's at each game, is bloody hard as every mistake is shown 1000's of times. Saying that I will always applaud  any sportsmanship, even if it went against us. Remember DiCanio

46308[/snapback]

was that when he had a open goal but saw our keeper was injured so he picked it up?

It's a tough one to answer, considering how much money is involved. It's the ref & assistants job to make the decisions, which with all the camera's at each game, is bloody hard as every mistake is shown 1000's of times. Saying that I will always applaud  any sportsmanship, even if it went against us. Remember DiCanio

46308[/snapback]

That is pretty much my feelings on the matter Java, there has to be room in the game for sportsmanship, it is an admirable trait in a pro footballer.

However, remember Fowler being brought down by David Seaman?, Fowler let the ref know that he had made more of it and it wasn't a pen, the ref waved his protests away.

Perhaps refs should have more experience of being players and know the "unmritten rules" to playing at the highest level, instead of becoming unthinking card machines.

ATB

Mac

theres a lot of talk about cheating in football today. with particular regard to 'divers' who go down in the penalty area.

but if you are against that kind of cheating, why would you be in favour of ANY kind of cheating?

and that would have include cheating by default like not informing when you know that a mistake is being made by the officials.

It's a tough one to answer, considering how much money is involved. :unsure:

so are you saying its ok to cheat for a large sum of money, but not for a small sum? and if so, where is the dividing line where cheating becomes acceptable? a thousand quid? ten thousand quid?

Java, I think all right thinking footie fans would say they hate to see cheating in any form, but it does boil down to the high stakes involved.

Lets say it our last game of the season and we need a win to qualify for Europe, it's 0-0 in the 89th minute and AJ is running through and is challenged and goes down even though there was no contact. We get the pen, is AJ going to be cheered by the crowd for owning up and saying it was no penalty?.

Not bloody likely.

If you say cheating is cheating, does that include timewasting in the last 5 minutes or is that tactics, there are too many grey area's in this topic to give a difinative answer. It is just going to be personal opinions.

ATB

Mac

Java, Saying its a hard one to answer, because never having been a professional sportsman(Still live in hope of wearing that No. 9 Jersey at Goodison :D ) my livelihood has never been related to what I do on the field. Pro sportspeople are mostly paid due to their performance or the performance of their team, I like to think that I am a good sport but being in their position I don't know what I would do

Cheers

Great post btw

Java, I think all right thinking footie fans would say they hate to see cheating in any form, but it does boil down to the high stakes involved.

Lets say it our last game of the season and we need a win to qualify for Europe, it's 0-0 in the 89th minute and AJ is running through and is challenged and goes down even though there was no contact. We get the pen, is AJ going to be cheered by the crowd for owning up and saying it was no penalty?.

Not bloody likely.

If you say cheating is cheating, does that include timewasting in the last 5 minutes or is that tactics, there are too many grey area's in this topic to give a difinative answer. It is just going to be personal opinions.

ATB

Mac

46334[/snapback]

:D you have hit the nail on the head with that one mac ;)

Too many shades of grey in footie. Think Snooker and Golf are maybe the two where honesty is always to the fore, you see people calling penalties against themselves...does anyone still walk when they get an edge in Cricket? Or admit when a "catch" has gone to ground. Not at the top level anymore certainly. Sad.

"If you say cheating is cheating, does that include timewasting in the last 5 minutes or is that tactics, there are too many grey area's in this topic to give a difinative answer. It is just going to be personal opinions."

no, thats not cheating thats a skill, keeping possession. and if youre not as skilfull as your opponent you will be dispossessed.

i think cheating can be quite clearly defined. the fact that there are a few grey areas shouldnt make any difference.

as someone pointed out, in other sports, golf for example, millions can depend on one shot, and players dont cheat!

If you want to get rid of cheating then it is up to the ruling bodies to set out what is cheating and have the balls to police it and hand out serious penalties. With the Golf Vijay Singh was banned for 2 years when he was on the Asian Tour for cheating. Think it was for not adding a shot. If you had penalties like that and they were enforced then maybe players would think twice about cheating

If you want to get rid of cheating then it is up to the ruling bodies to set out what is cheating and have the balls to police it and hand out serious penalties. With the Golf Vijay Singh was banned for 2 years when he was on the Asian Tour for cheating. Think it was for not adding a shot. If you had penalties like that and they were enforced then maybe players would think twice about cheating

46598[/snapback]

yes i agree. fifa have to sit down and work it out. violence and cheating are not sport -- no matter what game your playing.

if something isnt done to protect the game skill levels wont improve and it will become boring to watch.