IGNORED

David Unsworth

But if we can get a manager that gets Everton and wins things, then isn’t that better? That’s what people want Pad. 

I honestly don’t see what manager is going to walk through the door and turn us into a top six team in two weeks, I don’t think there is one out there. 

In that respect, we shouldn’t write anyone else off for not doing the same. A fair crack of the whip means exactly that, Fair!

The reason we are where we are is the previous manager did not get Everton. Turned us into a soulless side... 

A manager getting everton is not the only criteria but for me the new managèr needs to understand or want to become part of the club.... not just a fucking employee earning shit loads of cash whilst living in a rented house or hotel away from his family. 

30 minutes ago, hafnia said:

The reason we are where we are is the previous manager did not get Everton. Turned us into a soulless side... 

A manager getting everton is not the only criteria but for me the new managèr needs to understand or want to become part of the club.... not just a fucking employee earning shit loads of cash whilst living in a rented house or hotel away from his family. 

Yes this is right, soulless and just earning cash.

i want Unsworth to get the job and to succeed as he is the opposite of Koeman, if not, then someone who has some passion, cos thats what football is all about for me.

I proper enjoyed Martinez and his whole getting Everton thing. It was lovely that he knew our history etc while we struggled in the league. It really made up for things like. Not.

I didn't enjoy the start of this season under Koeman either mind.

What I'm trying to say is that it's performance that matters. I don't need a manager to love Everton, to get Everton, I just want them to get us winning. Same goes goes for the players - loving the club isn't important to me, I (and every Evertonian) have enough love for the club, I just want them to their job and win football games for us.

For me it's not about getting Everton either. You can poo poo the age group all you want, Unsworth has shown he can win matches at U23 level, and is arguably the best there is in that competition right now. I believe in giving people a chance to step up and not writing them off before they've had a chance. Like I've said, if he isn't up to it, fair does. But as there's no one else with a better pedigree knocking the door down, I say give him the rest of this season. 

10 minutes ago, nogs said:

For me it's not about getting Everton either. You can poo poo the age group all you want, Unsworth has shown he can win matches at U23 level, and is arguably the best there is in that competition right now. I believe in giving people a chance to step up and not writing them off before they've had a chance. Like I've said, if he isn't up to it, fair does. But as there's no one else with a better pedigree knocking the door down, I say give him the rest of this season. 

I would absolutely love for him to take the opportunity (if it happens) and for him to do well for us. I'm a massive fan of his. It's just a big gamble and I do worry it could go tits up.

I'm as worried for him about it as I am for the club and our season. I would hate for a bad experience to tarnish him with something that he may never be able to shift.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

What I'm trying to say is that it's performance that matters. I don't need a manager to love Everton, to get Everton, I just want them to get us winning. Same goes goes for the players - loving the club isn't important to me, I (and every Evertonian) have enough love for the club, I just want them to their job and win football games for us.

I don't think that it matters greatly either but, as Shukes said, it would be brilliant if the person doing their job and getting the wins was an Evertonian wouldn't it? There's also the fact (that I've already pointed out) that "if you know your history" every trophy we've won since before WW2 was with an ex-player at the helm. Is that coincidence?

Edit: Even Thomas McIntosh who ran us from 1919 to 1935 and won the FA Cup and the league title twice (and signed Dixie) was born in Liverpool; though he never played for us and I've no idea if he was a fan.

2 hours ago, hafnia said:

Disagree mate, Mourinho, Spurs manager however you spell it, Guardiola etc would not “get” us but they would win us trophies with the right resources. You don’t have to get anything you just need to be a top manager. 

48 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I don't think that it matters greatly either but, as Shukes said, it would be brilliant if the person doing their job and getting the wins was an Evertonian wouldn't it? There's also the fact (that I've already pointed out) that "if you know your history" every trophy we've won since before WW2 was with an ex-player at the helm. Is that coincidence?

Edit: Even Thomas McIntosh who ran us from 1919 to 1935 and won the FA Cup and the league title twice (and signed Dixie) was born in Liverpool; though he never played for us and I've no idea if he was a fan.

Of course it would, but lots are acting like it's essential.

Yes I do think it's a coincidence.

What does getting a club actually mean... Knowing it's history and its ethos, welcome to Wikipedia 

Dortmund is one of the biggest "fan" clubs in the world would they turn away the likes of Pep Poch and co no they wouldn't 

It's a blanket statement/phrase to me that doesn't really have much basis behind it, people liked how Martinez came in and spewed all the media darling shite and it stood for fuck all as he wasn't upto the job 

I'd love a manager who appreciated our history our fans etc but results count in today's game not sentiment imo

I think some of our fans expect far too much from a manager whilst also accepting mediocrity with the teams performance. Who’s arsed if it’s an ex player, has an Everton tattoo or says centre half like a scouser- just win football matches.

Our most successful manager “got” us, played for us was loved by us then fucked off to Athletico Bilbao at the first sign of some pesatas- look how that turned out.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I would absolutely love for him to take the opportunity (if it happens) and for him to do well for us. I'm a massive fan of his. It's just a big gamble and I do worry it could go tits up.

I'm as worried for him about it as I am for the club and our season. I would hate for a bad experience to tarnish him with something that he may never be able to shift.

I think all the names being touted around for our next manager are a gamble personally. 

I think the only long term risk to Unsworth's reputation is we get relegated. Then he'd have to live with being the manager that took us down for the first time since 1950 whatever. But he'd be sacked before that happened anyway, and the injury would be more personal to him than professional. He'd still have a decent career as a manager ahead of him. Relegation hasn't done any harm to plenty of managers. Thinking of two from our recent past, Martinez is now managing one of the top 10 international teams heading into a World Cup, and Moyes is still getting Premier League jobs. 

Anyway, I keep saying it, but I don't for a minute believe we'd go down under Unsworth. He's a good organiser, plays to win and will make us aggressive enough to win matches at home if nothing else. Just my opinion, but I don't see any of the other managers we're being linked with doing any better short term. 

One of those mike0 stats I think, that we’ve only ever won stuff wth a former player as manager.  Kendall Royle etc.  I’m starting to think there might be something in that.  Not to mention I would rather unsy for the rest of the year and get someone in the summer than get someone now.  Better options and better chance to see if Dave (and I’m not talking about newty) warrants it full time

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

One of those mike0 stats I think, that we’ve only ever won stuff wth a former player as manager.  Kendall Royle etc.  I’m starting to think there might be something in that.  Not to mention I would rather unsy for the rest of the year and get someone in the summer than get someone now.  Better options and better chance to see if Dave (and I’m not talking about newty) warrants it full time

Oh I got all excited then....!!!

23 minutes ago, MikeO said:

For someone so inexperienced he handles himself brilliantly with the media; puts most established pros to shame. Whatever his future he's a credit to himself and the club.

Agree completely, he may not be the man for the managers role at the moment but it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s his one day - whether he keeps doing what he’s doing with the academy or cuts his managerial teeth elsewhere. Best of luck to him.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

For someone so inexperienced he handles himself brilliantly with the media; puts most established pros to shame. Whatever his future he's a credit to himself and the club.

He comes across brilliantly.

With how he's handled things,how he wants to play the game, what he's done for the U23's...he'll not struggle for a job.