IGNORED

Abdoulaye Doucouré

Peter H

We surely wont be getting held to ransom over Doucoure though. Sounds like Watford are trying to get us to offer what we offered last summer without acknowledging the goalpost have moved with their relegation.

Doucoure is good but if James Rodriguez is cheaper id be going after him first and then even Rakitic.

I think Gbabim will look to rotate with Allan mostly. Hopefully we can be in a position to ease him into the season. Potentially a good option at CB as well so he could save us a fortune.

Watford are supposedly asking for a player to go the other way on loan as part of the deal, would be perfect to send Tom Davies there. He won’t get anywhere near out starting XI if we get Allan and Doucoure and a full season playing week in week out in the Championship would do him the world of good 

48 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Watford are supposedly asking for a player to go the other way on loan as part of the deal, would be perfect to send Tom Davies there. He won’t get anywhere near out starting XI if we get Allan and Doucoure and a full season playing week in week out in the Championship would do him the world of good 

I think Anthony Gordon is ready to contribute but I also wouldn’t mind seeing him get a full year of games in a tough, competitive league to see if he can improve defensively and if his body can hold up for a full season with that type of physicality. 

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Gylfi :)

French television show Telefoot claims that Doucouré has made signing with the Toffees a priority, despite interest from other clubs.

According to the media outlet via GFFN, the Frenchman has rejected interest from Wolves, Fulham and Hertha Berlin as he looks to join Carlo Ancelotti at Goodsion Park.

We have been told the 27-year-old is likely to get his wish and a move back to the Premier League is the most probable outcome, but it is not the only option with a deal yet to be agreed

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Davies or Gordon going there would be really good for them. I’d rather Gordon to be honest, I think a year there would really toughen him up to first team football. 

I agree. Could see Gordon doing well in the Championship. Not sure about Davies.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I agree. Could see Gordon doing well in the Championship. Not sure about Davies.

I think Davies would do alright  in the Championship because I believe that is just his level. He works hard and is a leader (would not have been given the captaincy otherwise), nobody can take that away from him. I just don’t think his technical ability and speed of thought is up to the standards of a premier league team with European ambition.

Gordon is a different case. I think it’s clear he does have the brain and the ability to succeed at this level. What he lacks (in my opinion) the physicality and the defensive awareness are things that I believe can be improved. By all accounts he worked hard on his body during the shutdown and I would think focusing on that for another year or two would really do him well. 

I agree either  of them would benefit from a season full of games, of course, and neither is likely to get it with our first team barring some bad injury luck.

1 minute ago, Finn balor said:

There’s no way I would be letting Gordon anywhere near them. They will probably have 3 managers this season. Gibson or branthwaite it will be. We have besic, bowler, Sandro, bolasie,Simms that could use a move aswell 

Simms, in particular, is a good shout though I like the idea of him learning the working man’s side of being a striker from DCL as that’s an area where he excels.

35 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

There’s no way I would be letting Gordon anywhere near them. They will probably have 3 managers this season. Gibson or branthwaite it will be. We have besic, bowler, Sandro, bolasie,Simms that could use a move aswell 

We could field an entire XI of players that need a move

J Virginia

Pennington Branthwaite Gibson Connolly

Bowler Adeniran Beni Bolasie

Broadhead Simms

Leaving room for subs: Sandro Tosun Besic

7 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

If we are not bringing in a new CB, which seems to be the case, then we can’t afford to let Branthwaite go anywhere 

Completely agree - it was combination tongue-in-cheek and what would be best for the player. Branthwaite would be much better served playing in the Championship this season than waiting for injuries in the first team. 

48 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

We could field an entire XI of players that need a move

J Virginia

Pennington Branthwaite Gibson Connolly

Bowler Adeniran Beni Bolasie

Broadhead Simms

Leaving room for subs: Sandro Tosun Besic

Missed Davies, Delph and Siggy! 

2 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

I think Davies would do alright  in the Championship because I believe that is just his level. He works hard and is a leader (would not have been given the captaincy otherwise), nobody can take that away from him. I just don’t think his technical ability and speed of thought is up to the standards of a premier league team with European ambition.

Gordon is a different case. I think it’s clear he does have the brain and the ability to succeed at this level. What he lacks (in my opinion) the physicality and the defensive awareness are things that I believe can be improved. By all accounts he worked hard on his body during the shutdown and I would think focusing on that for another year or two would really do him well. 

I agree either  of them would benefit from a season full of games, of course, and neither is likely to get it with our first team barring some bad injury luck.

He might do alright in the Championship but if he does he won't be any good for us. If so its pointless loaning him and we might as well cut our losses. 

49 minutes ago, Matt said:

I think the concern is that the club seems rotten and run by idiots which will offer no stability for developing youth. 

Despite this, they’ve just had one of the best periods in the clubs history - 5 years (not certain of this?) in the top division and a FA Cup runners-up in that time. It seems ridiculous what they do but, up until the Pearson sacking, it kind of worked for them. As for players, despite the huge turnover of managers, the team always seems pretty settled (bar post lockdown/ Pearson) so I’d feel pretty confident should we send players there. The big advantage they seem to have is with their links with Udinese and Granada (I think?) - they seem to get decent players in and I think this will see them dominate the Championship next season.

On Watford’s owner...

Pozzo runs an international scouting team of 25 to 30 people who seek players through attending every significant competition around the world, especially in developing markets like South America, Africa, and Eastern Europe.[6][7] Pozzo is reported to have a pattern of investing small sums of money into high-risk players. His larger clubs’ network has helped his business to minimize player acquisition costs while maximizing the profit from surging transfer fees as players are transferred and loaned among ‘sister clubs’ and later sold at a premium achieving high returns.[8][7]

Pozzo's career experience and business model has led to identifying talent at his three clubs and has been consistently applied to Udinese Calcio for over 25 years, leading some to call it the "talent factory".[9] Granada CF and Watford achieved promotion to LaLiga and Premier League, respectively, through Pozzo's network and transformation from distressed situations. Pozzo's success includes the development of the clubs' own stadiums.[6][7][10]

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i just don't understand doucoure, he's the same player as allan.  is he the backup/rotation piece?

Doucoure is more a box to box player mate. He is a very forward thinking mid, Will always want to get forward and support the forward line.

Allan is the defensive mid, very much in the mood of Gana. Breaks up play, snaps at ankles, but can also turn a player.

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i just don't understand doucoure, he's the same player as allan.  is he the backup/rotation piece?

Do you mean the same player as in are they to go into the same starting XI? Surely you've seen him play before Mark? 

I think either he plays in a double pivot in midfield alongside Allan with Gomes on the bench, or in a 3 with Allan behind him and Gomes next to him.