IGNORED

Marcel Brands (DoF)

5 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Sell to buy, sell then buy, make room then buy... call it what you will. We're back on a firm financial footing, and we're not going to waste money like we've mostly done for the last two years. Why would I worry? It's a good thing.

It is amusing, though, to see the spin put on it. :)

I think because historically 'sell to buy' has negative tones with Everton.

In fact, 'sell to buy' is used as a negative remark towards any club. We use it against the Redshite and vice versa.

So I see why our fans want to swerve that particular tag.

5 hours ago, Newty82 said:

I think because historically 'sell to buy' has negative tones with Everton.

In fact, 'sell to buy' is used as a negative remark towards any club. We use it against the Redshite and vice versa.

So I see why our fans want to swerve that particular tag.

exactly, i am very happy Brands is doing what Walsh never did and that's get rid of the dead wood.  it's a must have to move forward.

52 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

exactly, i am very happy Brands is doing what Walsh never did and that's get rid of the dead wood.  it's a must have to move forward.

Season 1 = Pienaar, Howard, Gibson & Oviedo (deal of the century) plus loans out for Cleverly( later sold), Niasse (was due to be sold), McGeady (later sold), Geri (later sold).

Thats a fair amount of dead wood that Walsh got rid of in his first 6 months.

On 04/07/2018 at 15:00, Bailey said:

Season 1 = Pienaar, Howard, Gibson & Oviedo (deal of the century) plus loans out for Cleverly( later sold), Niasse (was due to be sold), McGeady (later sold), Geri (later sold).

Thats a fair amount of dead wood that Walsh got rid of in his first 6 months.

Unfortunately he then bought a load of dry rot infested tat and burnt bits left over from a bonfire. And managed to spend three times as much in the process. 

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Getting rid of

Mori

Rooney

Klassen

Williams

Mirallas 

Robles

and more deadwood likely to follow

Thwn bringing in 

Richarlison

Digne

Bernard

...... where do you think we should build his statue?

Still needs a CB and CM before he gets a statue! 

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Getting rid of

Mori

Rooney

Klassen

Williams

Mirallas 

Robles

and more deadwood likely to follow

Thwn bringing in 

Richarlison

Digne

Bernard

...... where do you think we should build his statue?

Wait....just waaaaaaaaait....

Looking forward to seeing the finished picture at 5pm on Thursday!

(Well, later for outgoings potentially)

Any signing is a gamble but so pleased to see that there seems to be a strategic plan behind each signing.

Both Brands and Silva have took as much time as they could to assess the squad and give most some sort of chance in friendlies etc.

We've filled in some blanks and overall the squad looks more balanced and better equipped to play in the managers way.

Impressive intro to the club for Brands...now it's over to Silva to show us what he's got.

The guy has done MORE, than he promised. He has looked at positions that we are weak, and strengthened. He has worked without silva to find players that fit his style. 

As Newty put it... over too Silva, you have a class act to follow and do your bit. Excellent work guys.

26 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I now worship at the altar of Brands (and Silva). 

Not saying our signings will be successful, but we had needs and we went out and brought in players to meet those needs. Unlike last summer when we signed pretty much for every position but the ones we really needed. 

Time will tell if the signings are the right ones but we went about it in the right way which bodes well for future transfer windows. 

I’m still in “wait and see” mode. There was a lot of similar excitement with Koeman and Walsh. 

21 minutes ago, Matt said:

I’m still in “wait and see” mode. There was a lot of similar excitement with Koeman and Walsh. 

You're right of course.

A lot of the previous excitement was more about us spending £££ and acting so quickly. I think after years of being subdued Evertonians, we let ourselves go and just enjoyed the moment. Well, I did!!!

Comparing the two though, this looks and feels better. It makes more sense...theres no 'hang on, why have we bought so many central midfielders?!'

Just now, Newty82 said:

You're right of course.

A lot of the previous excitement was more about us spending £££ and acting so quickly. I think after years of being subdued Evertonians, we let ourselves go and just enjoyed the moment. Well, I did!!!

Comparing the two though, this looks and feels better. It makes more sense...theres no 'hang on, why have we bought so many central midfielders?!'

I didn’t at all (as I’m sure you’re all aware). 

This window feels better for me because we seem to have spent “sensibly”, as you alude to

1 minute ago, Matt said:

I didn’t at all (as I’m sure you’re all aware). 

This window feels better for me because we seem to have spent “sensibly”, as you alude to

Well aware! I remember your posts well as I did totally agree but I just decided to go with it and enjoy! Until, of course, the season crumbled!!!

2m loan for gomes (steal)

free bernard (wages are high but par for player of his ilk)

28.5m mina 

35m richarlison

loan zouma

18m digne

the loans, free, and digne were are very smart and frugal business.  richarlison and mina the only 2 big spends but even by todays standards (keepers going for 70m) they are decent if they perform well.  remember bolasie was 25m.

1 hour ago, Newty82 said:

You're right of course.

At least this time we also have the option of sending a couple back if they flop. 

Plus if they do well, we know how hard it is for them to not come back the following year.